Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Palace Fans Biggest Fear

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I would think most clubs outside the top 5 aim for the season is top 10, Palace ended 11th this season, so just under what most fans would class as a good season.

There is no denying that BHA are a few years ahead on the Academy side of it but looking at the league finishing of u23s and all the academy sides, palace have done well in all of them.

Yes McCarthy might work or it might not, but that can be said of all mangers.

Given the players Roy has proved that he can get his teams to play good football, ask Fulham and West Brom fans.

In fairness 11th was very good for Palace, they haven't had a top ten finish in he Premier League I believe?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
In fairness 11th was very good for Palace, they haven't had a top ten finish in he Premier League I believe?
They’ve managed to both go backwards and improve at the same time. 11th is one place better than they finished last season, but they got less points, scored less goals and conceded more.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
They’ve managed to both go backwards and improve at the same time. 11th is one place better than they finished last season, but they got less points, scored less goals and conceded more.
NINTCHDBPICT000731361010.jpg

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
So that’s Roy secured now just need to get Zaha to put the ink on his £200k a week contract and they can look forward to another season stinking the division out with Royball

Wow, this doesn't seem to be an overall strategy, it's not a plan to take them from constant relegation worries to mid table, more making it up as it's going along ...... brilliant, I love it!

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Palace fan's I know don't care about the age thing they just feel that Roy is the right man for the job.
You can't argue that he did a good job for the last ten games, probably does deserve the job full time.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Palace fan's I know don't care about the age thing they just feel that Roy is the right man for the job.
You can't argue that he did a good job for the last ten games, probably does deserve the job full time.
Yes, although it's worth noting that exactly half of their points, and goals, from those 10 matches came from their 3 wins in a row against the teams ultimately relegated from the league, in Roy's first 3 games back in charge.

Their form in the other 7 matches very closely matches their mid-table league position - 9 points, 9 goals for and 9 goals against.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Nope, very happy with Roy .
I don't know how you can say this, during the end of his previous spell the fans were bored of his football, felt the side lacked goal power and felt the games were boring ... or have you all forgotten that? Maybe you were happy with that, if so, bang on, you guys crack on with Roy

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don't know how you can say this, during the end of his previous spell the fans were bored of his football, felt the side lacked goal power and felt the games were boring ... or have you all forgotten that? Maybe you were happy with that, if so, bang on, you guys crack on with Roy
To be fair, although it certainly felt like the overall sentiment of the Palace fanbase was that Roy's departure was long overdue, it's likely that there will have been a minority of fans who were happy with the job he was doing: consistent, steady and seemingly always likely to keep them up.

Beyond that, when he returned his side were a revelation, much to our collective disappointment. Although their run-in was favourable, a return of 18 points from 10 games was pretty remarkable given what had gone on before, and safety was easily secured with many games to go. If he's able to keep them playing the same way next season, it could be a fun campaign for them.

That doesn't change the fact he turns 76 in the near future though, and they need some sort of Roy-less plan for the future. Roy's last stint aside, a manager hasn't lasted more than two years in the Palace job since Neil Warnock was in the post between October 2007 and March 2010. They just can't hold onto a manager for any period of time. The near-constant chopping and changing is not a formiula for success.

Last edited:

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
That was a whole club-history ago, different club, different supporters. They re-spawn every year, been doing it since 1746 apparently

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is the new stand named after Roy, or something, which would explain this not quite forward thinking decision?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Just seen that Mr Tumble has 'exchanged contracts' on a deal to buy AFC Croydon, together with Stormzy and some other fella.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Strong rumours coming through that they’re going to go with Hodgson again after Rodger’s and Potter turned them down. Palace mate of mine reckons Potter said he couldn’t go from BHA to Palace in 10 months, not cos of the rivalry but because it would be a huge knock in his career with facilities and owners etc. would be keen for that to be confirmed somewhere but he’s usually in the know at all things since the 2010 version started (may be a clue there of his stature…)
Told ya 😜

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here