Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Palace Fans Biggest Fear

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I don’t care about their new club as long as they do well for us. As for selling, it’s how we keep the thing going, buy young prospects sell seasoned professionals.
For me, it depends on the manner of their departure. For example, I wanted Virgo, Zamora, Bissouma, Burn and others to do well. They gave their all for us, left on good terms and with thanks for their service. I don’t begrudge them a successful career.

Potter, Cucurella… they rankle in particular and the schadenfreude in me is pleased to see them fail.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I don't think that Palace fans want Dibley returning from injury. Since he went off sobbing they've been scoring and winning.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I’ve seen on a dodgy transfer site that Arsenal are in for Olise in the summer.

£40 million apparently.
To be fair another site said Caceido and MacAlister as well!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Would that be the same website that says Caciedo and Mac Aliister are off in the summer for a total of £250 million?

All those websites are nothing but BS

Serious question, is it annoying that your best players get sold (albeit for good sums of money) and then tend to underachieve at their new club?

It's annoying they get sold, yes.
Bissouma has underachieved and I find that annoying because he was a good guy.
Cuckoo has underachieved and I'm glad, due to the way he left.
Trossard hasn't underachieved.

Were you annoyed that Bolasie underachieved?
Were you annoyed that Zaha underachieved? I imagine you were delighted, as he came crawling back and has been great for you.

Or is there enough faith in the recruitment that a few more gems will roll off the conveyor belt?
Obviously the way things are currently going, we're confident in our recruitment, but I'm certainly concerned that replacements won't always be as good as the players we have to sell. Has anyone been able to consistently challenge the big clubs?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Would that be the same website that says Caciedo and Mac Aliister are off in the summer for a total of £250 million?

Fair play if you can get that money for them

Serious question, is it annoying that your best players get sold (albeit for good sums of money) and then tend to underachieve at their new club? Or is there enough faith in the recruitment that a few more gems will roll off the conveyor belt?
Nope.

People have banged on about us needing to buy £30-50 million players on here almost every window. Fact is we do. We just buy them for £500k - 10M.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Fair play if you can get that money for them

Serious question, is it annoying that your best players get sold (albeit for good sums of money) and then tend to underachieve at their new club? Or is there enough faith in the recruitment that a few more gems will roll off the conveyor belt?
It’s not really been that annoying as we’ve received great fees for all of them and they’ve either been directly replaced or some of the money used to strengthen elsewhere or make further future investments in super-talented 18-19 year olds. For example:

White for 50m: great player for us but we didn’t really need to replace him directly, so money spent elsewhere - Cucu, Mwepu and Mitoma bought in that window.

Cucurella 60m: Replaced by Estupinian for a net gain of 45m. No one expected him to be as good, but he’s probably been better!

Bissouma: 30m: Replaced by Caicedo. To be honest, those 2 could’ve played together, but then you’d be having to squeeze Mac Allister in somewhere else.

Trossard 28m: With Trossard still at the club, we wouldn’t be seeing Mitoma and March on the wings every week, both of who have been fantastic. Trossard will be missed over the next few weeks as his form always picked up during the BST months.

In the summary, the answer is that it’s not really that annoying when we can see that it’s part of a long-term plan. It’s also reassuring to see the net income from fees help make us a profit in annual accounts. It was +24m for last year, so will be over 100m for the current season. Should mean that the summer window will be very interesting.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
All those websites are nothing but BS

It's annoying they get sold, yes.
Bissouma has underachieved and I find that annoying because he was a good guy.
Cuckoo has underachieved and I'm glad, due to the way he left.
Trossard hasn't underachieved.

Were you annoyed that Bolasie underachieved?
Were you annoyed that Zaha underachieved? I imagine you were delighted, as he came crawling back and has been great for you.

Obviously the way things are currently going, we're confident in our recruitment, but I'm certainly concerned that replacements won't always be as good as the players we have to sell. Has anyone been able to consistently challenge the big clubs?
Could not believe the sum we got for Bolasie, but the poor man broke his knee cap in half so just felt sorry for him.

Zaha was only a 20 year old kid so was always a bit of a punt by man united, but yes sad he went but glad he came back.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Could not believe the sum we got for Bolasie, but the poor man broke his knee cap in half so just felt sorry for him.

Zaha was only a 20 year old kid so was always a bit of a punt by man united, but yes sad he went but glad he came back.
And expecting a 20 year old kid to perform at the level of the Premier League 10 years ago was a big ask because he was no Ferguson, Sarmiento, Buonanotte, Ayari, Caecido, Lamptey, Enciso, Moder or Colwill, was he :wink:

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
And expecting a 20 year old kid to perform at the level of the Premier League 10 years ago was a big ask because he was no Ferguson, Sarmiento, Buonanotte, Ayari, Caecido, Lamptey, Enciso, Moder or Colwill, was he :wink:
Were they playing for a mid table championship side at the time ? Not really arguing but good players at 20 sometimes are not so good by 25, that’s why I said it was a punt.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Oh come on. Man Utd didn't buy him a car or discuss his/the manager's daughter's private life in the press! How could he possibly have shone in such circumstances.

eaglesdan

Sep 28, 2011

Agreed on both these points. Bolasie was one of the most talented players I have seen, even if he had no idea what his end product would be. Wilf was signed by Sir Alex, who then left, and he didnt fit in with Moyes for whatever reason. I think he's better as a big fish in a small pool, be interesting to see where he ends up next season and how he performs

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
So Wilf defo off at the end of the season?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
You would assume so.

Most Palace fans realise that spunking wages and signing on fee on Zaha will scupper any chance they have of building the squad.
They seem to be convinced that Olise and Eze are the way forward.
I don't watch enough Palace games to know whether they are right, but Olise always seems to go missing, when we play them.

Hopefully the spiv, bottles it again and sticks a stupid contract under Wilf's nose before too long.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Love it when Palace fans come out with this.
Point us to one example of when you lot 'fought hard' to save your club?
8 of them dragged themselves out to the town hall or some such place once.

They then just sat around waiting for the next spiv to waste his cash on them whilst shafting the community.

Meanwhile, fan power and action at the albion saved the club, well before Bloom stepped up.

You can see why hey get so hacked off. Must be horrible being palace

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
8 of them dragged themselves out to the town hall or some such place once.

They then just sat around waiting for the next spiv to waste his cash on them whilst shafting the community.

Meanwhile, fan power and action at the albion saved the club, well before Bloom stepped up.

You can see why hey get so hacked off. Must be horrible being palace
Right? There's one march that they always bring up if you ask what they did when their club needed them. One march! Brighton fans were probably averaging a march a game at one point.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
You would assume so.

Most Palace fans realise that spunking wages and signing on fee on Zaha will scupper any chance they have of building the squad.
They seem to be convinced that Olise and Eze are the way forward.
I don't watch enough Palace games to know whether they are right, but Olise always seems to go missing, when we play them.

Hopefully the spiv, bottles it again and sticks a stupid contract under Wilf's nose before too long.
I thought Palace would want shot so they can free up his element of their wage bill?

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
With Chelsea needing to do some balancing of the books it's highly likely that Conor Gallagher will become available.
I would imagine Steve Parish is already looking down the back of the sofa to find every pound possible to buy him.

I'm sure all Palace fans would prefer a young Gallagher to an older Zaha.
I would imagine it might be a bit tricky to both find and spend about £40m on one player when they also need to strengthen in other positions.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
With Chelsea needing to do some balancing of the books it's highly likely that Conor Gallagher will become available.
I would imagine Steve Parish is already looking down the back of the sofa to find every pound possible to buy him.

I'm sure all Palace fans would prefer a young Gallagher to an older Zaha.
I would imagine it might be a bit tricky to both find and spend about £40m on one player when they also need to strengthen in other positions.
According to TalkSport Brighton also interested in Conor, I guess in preparation for MacAlister and Ceaceido going in the Summer?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Looking increasingly likely that Chelsea will need a fire sale to balance the books and reduce a massively over cumbersome squad, I wonder if we'd have any chance getting Gallagher, and I wonder how that would go down with Croydon Res up the road?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here