Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Palace Fans Biggest Fear

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
To be fair, we as supporters fought tooth and nail to save the club in 2010. The 4 new owners only agreed to go ahead when they were able to purchase the ground as well. I have no view either way about the 1861 claims, but do believe that the club I started supporting in 1976 is the same club today, playing in the same stadium (OK maybe ground would be a better description), despite two administrations, which the supporters rallied around to make sure that charities and local businesses were paid as much as possible each time.
Obviously didn’t fight hard enough, eh? Seeing that the club died and had to start again, AGAIN!

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Fair play to Parish dropping the rather unpopular fee to share your ticket after negative feedback from supporters.

He's still a knobber mind you

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Fair play to Parish dropping the rather unpopular fee to share your ticket after negative feedback from supporters.

He's still a knobber mind you

They never actually had a fee - they just originally only allowed it if you had a ST + (a souped up season ticket that costs £50 extra) - but Parish did a u turn.
Now normal ST holders can share tickets for no fee with a paid member (Palace have varied membership schemes from £25 upwards) - and if you’re a ST+ holder - so pay the extra 50 quid - then it’s free now to share with anyone who has the Palace equivalent of a Fan number. (If in your f and f list)
I think. These things are pretty complicated. !

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
They never actually had a fee - they just originally only allowed it if you had a ST + (a souped up season ticket that costs £50 extra) -
I think. /QUOTE]

I don't think that's right. My Palace mates have been moaning for the last couple of weeks that they have a big group who go together each week, but often one of them can't make it so they give the spare to someone else who can't commit every week. Now they would all have to have paid the fee (£50 each which also gets you a discount in the shop i think they said) to pass the ticket on.

It sounded very sadly familiar to me. I see the Football Supporters Association called it out as wrong earlier as well.

Now after feedback they've dropped that, so any of them can share a ticket to another paid member (or they can pay £50 to give it to anyone they like).

Does make you wonder why they implemented it in the first place if they were going to back down to fan criticism. Surely you'd have looked at an obvious case study and decided it wasn't worth the hassle!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
They never actually had a fee - they just originally only allowed it if you had a ST + (a souped up season ticket that costs £50 extra) -
I think. /QUOTE]

I don't think that's right. My Palace mates have been moaning for the last couple of weeks that they have a big group who go together each week, but often one of them can't make it so they give the spare to someone else who can't commit every week. Now they would all have to have paid the fee (£50 each which also gets you a discount in the shop i think they said) to pass the ticket on.

It sounded very sadly familiar to me. I see the Football Supporters Association called it out as wrong earlier as well.

Now after feedback they've dropped that, so any of them can share a ticket to another paid member (or they can pay £50 to give it to anyone they like).

Does make you wonder why they implemented it in the first place if they were going to back down to fan criticism. Surely you'd have looked at an obvious case study and decided it wasn't worth the hassle!

We’ll sort of . The fee is not a sharing fee per se - it’s an upgrade to a ST that costs £50 with a range of benefits. ST+ (originally at least but Parish has now rowed back. )
Albion have a specific sharing fee. (It’s £20 per season)
But agreed. It’s semantics.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Obviously didn’t fight hard enough, eh? Seeing that the club died and had to start again, AGAIN!

I get his drift though. Would there be a rivalry if the relevant authorities would not allow duplication of name, colours, nickname etc? It kinda suits us all that the club incorporated in 1905 was allowed to appear to be the same single entity, as apposed to 3 so there would not have been Penge Wanderers then Thornton Heath Athletic as examples.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
437 pages deep. Surely the answer is "dying a virgin" and closed thread?

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Probably get shot down here but..........whilst I think Palace trying to brand themselves as the oldest club in the world is laughable, I think we should acknowledge, that like all clubs, there are effectively two versions of Palace. There is the legal entity , the owners, the actual company, all that stuff, which for Palace is 100% absolutely only in existence since 2010, and its something we should take the piss out of them for for ever, along with the two admins, dodgy owners etc

But I think we all know that that isnt what makes a club, rather than a business. The club is what its supporters are invested emotionally in. A good example is the Wimbledon/MK Dons thing. Legally MK DOns IS the old Wimbledon, and AFC Wimbledon is a new club, emotionally its the opposite for the supporters

I think its fair to say that in the eyes of the people who actually matter-the proper fans, then Palace IS the same club from the past 100 years or so. It certainly isnt the same club as the one they now say, from 1800 and something.

eaglesdan

Sep 28, 2011
Probably get shot down here but..........whilst I think Palace trying to brand themselves as the oldest club in the world is laughable, I think we should acknowledge, that like all clubs, there are effectively two versions of Palace. There is the legal entity , the owners, the actual company, all that stuff, which for Palace is 100% absolutely only in existence since 2010, and its something we should take the piss out of them for for ever, along with the two admins, dodgy owners etc

But I think we all know that that isnt what makes a club, rather than a business. The club is what its supporters are invested emotionally in. A good example is the Wimbledon/MK Dons thing. Legally MK DOns IS the old Wimbledon, and AFC Wimbledon is a new club, emotionally its the opposite for the supporters

I think its fair to say that in the eyes of the people who actually matter-the proper fans, then Palace IS the same club from the past 100 years or so. It certainly isnt the same club as the one they now say, from 1800 and something.

I know many fans who are distancing themselves from the 1861 claim, and many who are lapping it up. I dont really have an opinion. But as you say, its still Palace at the end of the day, and I am sure you will take great pleasure in beating us this coming season, whatever re-incarnation we happen to be. The Wimbledon MK Dons thing is a perfect example.

I doubt I would ever want Brighton to win a game, but I wouldnt want them out of existence, as I personally like the rivalry

Anyway, best of luck for the season :lolol:

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I know many fans who are distancing themselves from the 1861 claim, and many who are lapping it up. I dont really have an opinion. But as you say, its still Palace at the end of the day, and I am sure you will take great pleasure in beating us this coming season, whatever re-incarnation we happen to be. The Wimbledon MK Dons thing is a perfect example.

I doubt I would ever want Brighton to win a game, but I wouldnt want them out of existence, as I personally like the rivalry

Anyway, best of luck for the season :lolol:

cheers mate, best of luck to Palace as well- apart from when you play us of course. I love the rivalry but it is just that, more important things in life to get really worked up about.

eaglesdan

Sep 28, 2011
Well we've spent a hell of a lot more than that.

You have had 4 more years in the Prem than us, so that income dwarfs the money Tony has put in.
What have you spent it on?

We're on the brink of bringing in £150m from transfer fees over the past 2 seasons and reinvesting that into the squad.

You've had over £1bn in Income from the EPL - sold out to multiple Yanks and you're still going cap in hand to your owners to fund the squad.

So add your handouts from the EPL to the £400 million (I stand corrected) and counting, and I suspect you will also have had over £1bn income, and managed to have a shiny out of town bowl, training facilities, 1 top 10 finish, more than 50 points, and 2 seasons out of I dont know how many finishing above your rivals, one of which doesnt count because it was bettered by losing in the play offs

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
So add your handouts from the EPL to the £400 million (I stand corrected) and counting, and I suspect you will also have had over £1bn income, and managed to have a shiny out of town bowl, training facilities, 1 top 10 finish, more than 50 points, and 2 seasons out of I dont know how many finishing above your rivals, one of which doesnt count because it was bettered by losing in the play offs

You really don't get it do you. A lot of that money has been invested in the future of the club. A proper stadium because of being shafted by previous owners, top training facilities that all of our players can use, male or female, from the kids up to the first team (free of charge too). Tony Bloom hasn't just thrown money at becoming a PL club. He made sure the infrastructure was there to support becoming a Premier League club first. Your mob can't even get their tribute to our West Stand built and continue throwing money mainly at wages. If you get relegated it will be admin number 3 or 4, I've lost count.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

the stadium,training facilities et al were part of the 400M, not in addition to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Go back and re read your own post. I have quoted it for simplicity.

eaglesdan

Sep 28, 2011
Go back and re read your own post. I have quoted it for simplicity.

Yep, says what I intended it to say, in my mind thats not a huge achievement, but you clearly disagree as is your right

I guess supporting rival teams, we have rose tinted glasses, and will not agree on these types of debates

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here