Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Palace Fans Biggest Fear

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
are you seriously not too worried or concerned about the stand? The only things that have happened regarding the stand since planning permission was granted is that it has now lapsed, your American owners have actively looked at another PL club to buy into, and the then ludicrous cost of the stand (£100 million) will have soared and will continue to do so- the much spoken about but never seen " ringfenced" money, is now nowhere near enough for the project which means that without substantial additional funding that stand is simply what most of thought it was- pie in the sky, something to keep the "ultras" quiet for a bit.

I know we had all sorts of issues with our stadium, and it took longer than your stand from planning permission to building, but you are catching up fast and are arguably further back in the process than you were when the club submitted planning approval in the first place.

I honestly can't believe anyone really believes that stand will ever be built, at best you will get a much pared down version, (think our East stand before the second tier was added

Your faith in the club is admirable but I honestly think misplaced. Beaky may be a fan and part owner, but he simply doesnt have the financial clout to get this done, so is relying on American money, and that doesn't seem to be forthcoming anytime soon

What we need to remember is that Beaky sucks money out of their club every year. (There might be a dullard somewhere around who could tell us how much)

Our chairman puts money IN

Their chairman sucks money OUT

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Cheers Palace !

9 Brighton & Hove Albion 38 12 15 11 42 44 −2 51
10 Wolverhampton Wanderers 38 15 6 17 38 43 −5 51
11 Newcastle United 38 13 10 15 44 62 −18 49
12 Crystal Palace 38 11 15 12 50 46 +4 48

Oh blimey. That's quite a gap. They best mind that. :D

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Oh blimey. That's quite a gap. They best mind that. :D

They do like to brag that they have come above us apart from twice(?) every year for 30 years, but, unlike us they have never finished above 10 th in the PL, and they’ve never got above 50 points.

I know that football didn’t start in 1992, but that is quite a failure really, when you consider how much money they’ve spent.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
They do like to brag that they have come above us apart from twice(?) every year for 30 years, but, unlike us they have never finished above 10 th in the PL, and they’ve never got above 50 points.

I know that football didn’t start in 1992, but that is quite a failure really, when you consider how much money they’ve spent.

30 years, they've only been in existence since 2010

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Girls must pay £50 a month to play for Premier League football clubs [Crystal Palace] while boys train for free, parents claim

https://inews.co.uk/news/girls-must...ile-boys-train-for-free-parents-claim-1765282

Good ol Beaky. Struggling to read the room :ffsparr:

ETA And he has banned the girls teams from using their "state of the art and no longer rat infested we presume" training facilities. Wow! We expand our facilities to accommodate more use by our women players. They won't let their women players through the gates.

Not only a gap in terms of points and places but a huge chasm in class. Misogeny is alive and well and has taken a long lease in Beaky's head.

eaglesdan

Sep 28, 2011

How much money has Mr Bloom put in? 300Mill at least, and yet you are calling Palace out for spending pots of money

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good ol Beaky. Struggling to read the room :ffsparr:

ETA And he has banned the girls teams from using their "state of the art and no longer rat infested we presume" training facilities. Wow! We expand our facilities to accommodate more use by our women players. They won't let their women players through the gates.

Not only a gap in terms of points and places but a huge chasm in class. Misogeny is alive and well and has taken a long lease in Beaky's head.

Trying to get some of that sweet sweet Saudi moooola.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
How much money has Mr Bloom put in? 300Mill at least, and yet you are calling Palace out for spending pots of money

2 things,

A large amount of that 300 million went on infrastructure, very little of your spend has, and, my point is you’ve never finished higher than 10th for all the money you’ve squandered, we have.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Yes it’s about that amount, but to be fair to us the majority of that has gone on building a stadium and a training ground from scratch. I think the football side of things is now beginning to become sustainable, we’ve actually got players that other teams want to buy. So huge start up costs but hopefully it’ll start to turn a profit.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I've read a lot of predictions of Palace kicking on this season. Obviously it could be my own cognitive bias, but I'm wondering if many are overlooking just how heavily they depended on Gallagher last year. They played 4 games without him*, losing three and winning one. They played only 8 games where he didn't play for 90 minutes, winning one, drawing three and losing four. The two wins were against Norwich and Watford. Although he won the ball a lot, he was not really a defensive midfielder, playing in front of Kouyate and on the front foot most of the time. He was their second highest scorer and assist maker. Cheik Doucoure, although ostensibly bought to replace Gallagher, looks to be far more of a typical 'win tackles and pass it' defensive midfielder, who isn't as suited to pressing and driving the team forward. I'm getting hopeful hints of 'Bielsa's Leeds without Phillips' vibes. If Vieira doesn't have a style change planned, it will be interesting to see how they manage to press with one of Doucoure, Hughes or McArthur attempting to do what Gallagher managed against EPL quality midfielders.

* - Granted two against Chelsea, (Although we didn't lose to them home or away despite being without Bissouma in one match and both being before Caicedo's emergence).

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
I've read a lot of predictions of Palace kicking on this season. Obviously it could be my own cognitive bias, but I'm wondering if many are overlooking just how heavily they depended on Gallagher last year. They played 4 games without him*, losing three and winning one. They played only 8 games where he didn't play for 90 minutes, winning one, drawing three and losing four. The two wins were against Norwich and Watford. Although he won the ball a lot, he was not really a defensive midfielder, playing in front of Kouyate and on the front foot most of the time. He was their second highest scorer and assist maker. Cheik Doucoure, although ostensibly bought to replace Gallagher, looks to be far more of a typical 'win tackles and pass it' defensive midfielder, who isn't as suited to pressing and driving the team forward. I'm getting hopeful hints of 'Bielsa's Leeds without Phillips' vibes. If Vieira doesn't have a style change planned, it will be interesting to see how they manage to press with one of Doucoure, Hughes or McArthur attempting to do what Gallagher managed against EPL quality midfielders.

* - Granted two against Chelsea, (Although we didn't lose to them home or away despite being without Bissouma in one match and both being before Caicedo's emergence).

All of this is very interesting but will their new stand be ready for their August kick off ?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
All of this is very interesting but will their new stand be ready for their August kick off ?

If you read the 2018 press release, it was ready at the start of last season.
When I went to Selhurst last season, I was very impressed with the way they have sympathetically blended the new stand in with the old decrepit ones. You really can’t tell what is new stand, and what isn’t.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Poor old Pilarse, clinging on to half truths, misguided optmism and a failing club, I almost feel sorry for you.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Sounds like you’re fearful Timothy.

How's that stand?

football-stand.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here