Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Old Brighton Postcard

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I lived in my first flat opposite the pub in the early eighties. The main railway line was at the bottom of the small garden. When the trains went by the ornaments rattled. Also played for the pub in the Sunday league. After the games the two teams we had would go back for a few beers.It was great to be able to just walk (stagger) across the road and be home. Used the station for away games as well.Ten minute walk over the hill to the Goldstone!

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
In the old photo, right size corner of loxhill Road and old Shoreham Road, what's that big building? It was the postwar Portslade county infants Scotland when I started rhee in 1963. Looks like a big building.
Not sure which school building is which but this is view of the Locks Hill and Old Shoreham road junction from above at about the time of the photo.
1704299006901.jpeg

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
I lived in my first flat opposite the pub in the early eighties. The main railway line was at the bottom of the small garden. When the trains went by the ornaments rattled. Also played for the pub in the Sunday league. After the games the two teams we had would go back for a few beers.It was great to be able to just walk (stagger) across the road and be home. Used the station for away games as well.Ten minute walk over the hill to the Goldstone!
Have PM’d you

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Not sure which school building is which but this is view of the Locks Hill and Old Shoreham road junction from above at about the time of the photo.
View attachment 172182
I was Portslade County Infants Schools plumber from the seventies onwards (called Brackenbury now)The building next to it going up the hill was St Nicholas CE school in which I also worked.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Definitely at the end of 1982/83 season. The Norwich FA Cup 6th round videos showed the old North Stand still in situ, and that was March/April.
Nah. fog of memory my friend. The North Stand roof was off before then. Certainly for the 80/81 season. I've seen a video of the Man City game in the October.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I was Portslade County Infants Schools plumber from the seventies onwards (called Brackenbury now)The building next to it going up the hill was St Nicholas CE school in which I also worked.
Yeah, I thought it looked like PCIS (my kids went there circa 85 to 90) but I didn’t realise it was that old (aerial pic was circa 1940).

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I got out of Portslade Infants in 1970. It appears it may have been a close call :wink:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Judging by the flares and hair, I'd say 73
No "safety" fencing back then (visible in the photo). Fencing only started to be discussed in 1976 apparently.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here