Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Seven Dials April 1939 ?

SD1.jpg

SD1a.jpg

SD2.jpg

SD2a.jpg

Jul 7, 2003
Great to see the old radio Brighton shed there.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Doesn't look like an Albion match to me. No colours and no one in the south stand. A religious gathering perhaps?
Is it possible that photo was taken the day after Albion won promotion at Newcastle in May 1979? It was a little before my time, but I believe the celebrations included the team visiting the Goldstone Ground (as evidenced by this pic taken from @Goldstone Rapper's excellent website):

teddybear.jpg

A little bit of detective work suggests that the "Next Home Game" being advertised could well be Saturday 28 April 1979 against Blackburn Rovers (ie the last home match of that season, which would have been the week before).
Maybe someone on here went and remembers if the South Stand was open that day?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Is it possible that photo was taken the day after Albion won promotion at Newcastle in May 1979? It was a little before my time, but I believe the celebrations included the team visiting the Goldstone Ground (as evidenced by this pic taken from @Goldstone Rapper's excellent website):

View attachment 160772

A little bit of detective work suggests that the "Next Home Game" being advertised could well be Saturday 28 April 1979 against Blackburn Rovers (ie the last home match of that season, which would have been the week before).
Maybe someone on here went and remembers if the South Stand was open that day?
I was in the North Stand that Sunday morning. I can't remember if the South Stand was open or not. In the photo of the people outside the Goldstone, there are no colours, and everyone looks like they've dressed in their Sunday best? The whole place that Sunday morning was awash with blue and white.
I was at the Blackburn game watching from the South Stand. That's where the smoke-bomb came from!

Last edited:

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
I was in the North Stand that Sunday morning. I can't remember if the South Stand was open or not. In the photo of the people outside the Goldstone, there are no colours, and everyone looks like they've dressed in their Sunday best? The whole place that Sunday morning was awash with blue and white.
I was at the Blackburn game watching from the South Stand. That's where the smoke-bomb came from!

I was there that day. I recall being stood on the East Terrace. I remember that the pitch was being replaced and had all been dug up, and the picture seems to show it was just soil there so would back up that this was the promotion celebration bash on that day which was indeed a Sunday morning. Also there’s a bit of MFC graffiti, and I know we played Millwall that season.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I was there that day. I recall being stood on the East Terrace. I remember that the pitch was being replaced and had all been dug up, and the picture seems to show it was just soil there so would back up that this was the promotion celebration bash on that day which was indeed a Sunday morning. Also there’s a bit of MFC graffiti, and I know we played Millwall that season.
:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here