Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Old Brighton Postcard

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Thanks, so although they were tethered to the cable above them could they steer out from being directly under the cable? If so that’s pretty neat
Yes. Obviously they could only travel on streets where there were wires, but within those limits they could manoevre sufficiently to move round obstructions like parked vehicles, cyclists, etc.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Lovely reminder of my youth. Great mix of bus types. Some have the open rear platform whilst others have new fangled doors. No quick jumping off to avoid the conductor with those doors! Surprised that no Southdown buses show given Pool Valley entrance is about there. Like everyone I do miss the Trollies.
The diesel buses on the right hand side are mostly Southdown. The colours in this photo are a bit dodgy - the Southdowns were light green (not a sort of light orange/yellow!) - and the trolley buses were a much brighter red too.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Loved a trolley bus. My uncle and aunt used to live in a cottage in Hollingbury Woods. I used to spend the occasional day there in the 50's and my aunt occasionally took me in to Brighton on a trolley bus from the wooden bus shelter in Ditchling Road. A novelty ride to me at the time, so even though the oldest I could have been would have been 6 or 7, I remember it well.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
One day somebody will post a photo of a Stagecoach 712 and I'll feel really old.
Will this do?
1672954653134.png

1672954704619.png

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
I was only a one year old in 1957.
My Mum and Dad had a dingy flat opposite the Aquarium.
So I would have travelled on those trolley buses.
I feel very old :moo:
I remember the trolley buses going along the Lewes Road starting/stopping at the bus station bottom of Bear Road and going into town. I'm not sure if I ever got to ride on one though.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
You're a youngster Steve! I was born in 1953 and definitely remember going on the trolley buses with my Mum and Dad.
:thumbsup:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
You didn't attend Sussex Street Nursery School by any chance?

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
You didn't attend Sussex Street Nursery School by any chance?
I will have to ask my 89 year old mum!
We had to move from the flat because the Landlady said my crying kept the other residents awake lol.
Ended up in St Mary Magdalene Street so Fairlight Infants & Juniors then Moulsecomb Seniors after.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here