Sussex by the Sea
Absolutely no idea.

BHA2.jpg

BHA3.jpg

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
That pylon on the right, during the Bring Home the Albion campaign, (the fight for Withdean), I got up early one morning, put on my Council hi-viz jacket, parked by the pylon, climbed up a step-ladder and super-glued a piece of wood with a huge blue and white ribbon arrangement on it.
The ribbons were given to me by Gunns the Florist in Sydney Street, where the staff there were big Albion fans.
The ribbons were never removed, but deteriorated over the months until all that was left was the small chunk of wood which remains there to this day. You'll spot it if you look when you go by.
That was nearly 25 years' ago!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
That pylon on the right, during the Bring Home the Albion campaign, (the fight for Withdean), I got up early one morning, put on my Council hi-viz jacket, parked by the pylon, climbed up a step-ladder and super-glued a piece of wood with a huge blue and white ribbon arrangement on it.
The ribbons were given to me by Gunns the Florist in Sydney Street, where the staff there were big Albion fans.
The ribbons were never removed, but deteriorated over the months until all that was left was the small chunk of wood which remains there to this day. You'll spot it if you look when you go by.
That was nearly 25 years' ago!
Top top work. Well done that man.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I don't know why but always thought the pillars were for Queen Victoria. Something my Dad said way back when. Now I see they were built in 1928, way after QV died. Always thought, when the A23 was widened they should have put up another pillar or moved one of them. In fact they were going to demolish one!
Even more interesting is the fact that Brighton Council, or at least Edwin Macadam acting as land agent at the time, kept back a small area on the railway line side when it was purchased by Dept of Transport, thus the Council still have a small patch of land to build a third pillar.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Just like I remember it! It seemed a lot less congested back then - and oh, those wonderful trolley buses! What a disaster it was to scrap the trolley bus system.
I’m a bit too young to remember trolley buses but have often heard people lamenting their demise. Could someone tell me what the advantage of a trolley bus is/are over a bus of today ? I’m keen to know but from a position of ignoran e would have thought buses were far better without being hamstrung to cables and all the jams that I would imagine that caused.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I’m a bit too young to remember trolley buses but have often heard people lamenting their demise. Could someone tell me what the advantage of a trolley bus is/are over a bus of today ? I’m keen to know but from a position of ignoran e would have thought buses were far better without being hamstrung to cables and all the jams that I would imagine that caused.
Emissions. End of - well, nearly. Also cleaner and quieter, and much more powerful - so well suited to the hills of Brighton. Elm Grove? What gradient?
Also could manoevre around obstructions in a way trams could never do.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
1957, and why we need bus lanes.

View attachment 155383
Lovely reminder of my youth. Great mix of bus types. Some have the open rear platform whilst others have new fangled doors. No quick jumping off to avoid the conductor with those doors! Surprised that no Southdown buses show given Pool Valley entrance is about there. Like everyone I do miss the Trollies.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Emissions. End of - well, nearly. Also cleaner and quieter, and much more powerful - so well suited to the hills of Brighton. Elm Grove? What gradient?
Also could manoevre around obstructions in a way trams could never do.
Thanks, so although they were tethered to the cable above them could they steer out from being directly under the cable? If so that’s pretty neat

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here