Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Old Brighton Postcard

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Not more bloody question marks :lolol:
Fair point, that wasn't immediately apparent looking at it on my phone.
Still not obvious why somebody decided to take the photo though, did somebody go around photographing all the fire stations in the Brighton / the country?
As a general query though, some of these do just appear to be "a road" that somebody decided to take a photo of. But that wouldn't have been a snap decision, there must have been some focus to it.
could ask why has anybody decided to take a photograph of the same in more modern times?

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Seems a bit more likely.

Can't remember if I posted this before, there are some good photos of the viaduct after it was bombed in the second world war on this site (can't get the images to embed for some reason):
little things that seem to have made things nicer, this time all the pull down blinds. Maybe it’s me getting older and more nostalgic.

As an aside my now long dead FIL owned the third shop down back in the seventies. He ran it as a grocery and confectioners. A real traditional shop, old floorboards, huge jars of sweets. He even did his own butchery which he learnt during his war service on board Naval ships. Prior to war he was an insurance salesman, not much difference, heaven only knows why it was decided he was able to provide food for the crew.
There was a dumb waiter (no not human) down to the basement which was used to get the heavy boxes etc up and down from store to shop.
Always had good trade selling filled rolls and cigarettes to the students from the Tech college opposite and Endeavour Garage around the corner.

He eventually sold it about 1978(9?) to retire and moved up to fiveways. Hated retirement and ended up managing Clifford’s newsagents for about 5 years until health determined retirement was inevitable so bought a small flat down Hollingdean dip where he lived for couple of years until he died.

If he could see the state of the shop now he would go mad, it’s such a dump.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Not more bloody question marks :lolol:
Fair point, that wasn't immediately apparent looking at it on my phone.
Still not obvious why somebody decided to take the photo though, did somebody go around photographing all the fire stations in the Brighton / the country?
As a general query though, some of these do just appear to be "a road" that somebody decided to take a photo of. But that wouldn't have been a snap decision, there must have been some focus to it.
Don't be daft. All photo# are a snap decision! Snappy Snaps isn't called Snappy Snaps for nothing :lolol:

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
could ask why has anybody decided to take a photograph of the same in more modern times?
You could, but the answer is just "it comes from google street view".
I'm not being abstruse, it's a genuine question - were they for postcards, some sort of survey or catalogue? With the photos from before WW1 there'd be a lot of equipment to lug around and set up, they won't just be taken on the spur of the moment.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
I'm not being abstruse, it's a genuine question - were they for postcards, some sort of survey or catalogue? With the photos from before WW1 there'd be a lot of equipment to lug around and set up, they won't just be taken on the spur of the moment.
I don’t really have a clue. Possibly taken by businesses as some type of promotion/advert? Or maybe just snaps.
As you say it would mean lugging a load of heavy gear around. I suppose that was the 7 year olds apprentices job ;)

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
More advertising, like Queens Road but on a smaller scale?

SS2.jpg

SS1.jpg

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

I don’t really have a clue. Possibly taken by businesses as some type of promotion/advert? Or maybe just snaps.
As you say it would mean lugging a load of heavy gear around. I suppose that was the 7 year olds apprentices job ;)

I've often wondered that. Have a look at Francis Frith old photos https://www.francisfrith.com/search - there's a real mix of things that you can understand, like tourist sites and so on. But there's also an awful lot of street scenes, which are just street scenes. I guess a lot of it was just 'recording life'?

It's the same in my small town, I have quite a collection of old images picked up from here and there (digital rather than anything else), and you look at them and so think 'Why?...' I've got a few magic lantern slides as well - where they have gone to the effort of preserving the photo onto glass. Again - a lot of effort for what is essentially 'just a road'.

But then you look at flickr and other sites - and there are folk who have done something like photo-documenting 'every post box in the county', or 'every commercial outlet in the town' and so on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here