Sussex by the Sea
Queens Road / Clock Tower 1907?

QR1.jpg

QR2.jpg

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Yes, that is the Regent on the left. My parents met there too in the late 1940's

The partial sign is for the Golden Galleon pub which was under the Regent. It had a really steep staircase leading to a bar that hosted drag acts. Stumbled down there once when in my late teens. Once was enough.
Slightly different angle

TR2.jpg

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Re Brighton Station and the tram line. Many years ago I was shown a fixture up on the wall about 200 yards down from the station which was the last remaining 'hook' that held the tram wires. I've not been up that road for a long time now, anyone know if it still exists?

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Re Brighton Station and the tram line. Many years ago I was shown a fixture up on the wall about 200 yards down from the station which was the last remaining 'hook' that held the tram wires. I've not been up that road for a long time now, anyone know if it still exists?
oh I wouldn’t get too hung up on that

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
oh I wouldn’t get too hung up on that
Ha Ha. Couple of things really interest me in Brighton. The tram lines and what still exsists and the Kings Road Arches and when they were built.
I guess the odd road works must uncover tram lines that have just been covered over.
And the arches. I owned a property in Kings Road that has a basement and a front door at sea level, but why? Was the building, built 250 years ago, built prior to the arches and if so when were the arches built? I'seen pictures of the Grand Hotel that seems to show no arches.

Seagull's Return

Nov 7, 2003
Brighton
Queens Road / Clock Tower 1907?

View attachment 153886

Hard not to wonder how many of the younger men and boys in this picture came to grief a few years later. It's maybe a bit morbid, but I always wonder about that (for example my grandfather and his three younger brothers fought in the First War - he spent most of it as a POW in Germany, and two of his brothers were killed. The four of them would've been 19, 15, 12 and 9 respectively when this photo was taken).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here