Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Old Brighton Postcard

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
What was the club called opposite the pier next to the Brighton Centre… was good in a basement, lots of rocker types.
Actually, could have been Worthing seafront… ��*♂️

Lots of ifs, buts & maybes. Next to the Brighton Centre and in a basement was the Revolution disco, part of the Kings West building. Actually still there and used as storage. Got taken around a few years back.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Lots of ifs, buts & maybes. Next to the Brighton Centre and in a basement was the Revolution disco, part of the Kings West building. Actually still there and used as storage. Got taken around a few years back.

And going back even further I think it was called The Orange Timepiece, but I'm old and confused so probably wrong.

:lolol:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I don't think the Royal Stewart was a basement.

Could be the place by Steyne Gardens, whose name escapes me....

Edit... The Viking?

frog pond.....but no rocker types , the viking was behind the guildourne centre , the royal stewart had rocker nights on weds , fri and saturday.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Cheapside, London Road?

cheapside2.jpg
cheapside.jpg

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Is there anyone who can confirm (or not) that on the corner where Aldi is now, there was a Woolworth with a smaller Sainsbury next door. Eventually Woolworth moved further north in London Road and Sainsbury redeveloped the combined stores. Additionally the 'new' Woolworth was on the site of a clothing store called Roslyns?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Is there anyone who can confirm (or not) that on the corner where Aldi is now, there was a Woolworth with a smaller Sainsbury next door. Eventually Woolworth moved further north in London Road and Sainsbury redeveloped the combined stores. Additionally the 'new' Woolworth was on the site of a clothing store called Roslyns?

brighton-london-road-woolworths-1927.jpg
roslings_london_road-477x300.jpg

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing

Thank you for proving that my memory still exists even in my advanced age.

With regard to Rosling's, my parents often shopped there as they accepted Provident Cheques. The cost of a one pound cheque was paid to a collector who came to the house every week for one shilling for 21 weeks. At that time a pound was about one fifth of my father's wages. How inflation has run riot.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Description says Brighton 1976, I was only 6/7 then and don't recall it like this.

Is it the Black Rabbit at Arundel?

#IfYouKnowYouKnow :lolol:

Fantastic thread, by the way. I think I missed out on it during lockdown, for whatever reason, but there are some great pictures posted there. Keep 'em coming!

Last edited:

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Up until the mid/late 70’s when the big Boots was built on the NE corner, Virgin were based there, in part of an old building.

Then moving to a small shop just up Queens Road on the west side.

Before moving to a Virgin Megastore on Western Road in the mid 80’s.

Only just come across this thread and very interesting it is too... Just a bit of BHA trivia, the small Virgin shop IIRC was where the BHA shop was, subsequently, for a while, later moving across the road into larger premises. Potentially had a business there in the interim.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here