Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Ship Street Post Office?

SS2.jpg
SS!.jpg

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I thought he moved to The Palace Pier, might be wrong though, reading the post below I must have been wrong, but on the link comments people are mentioning the pier as well.

I too remember him, but he never moved. He died in about 1990 and was still in the same place. After he died a hand-written notice was put in the window asking people not to stop and discuss him as it was upsetting his widow!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
If my memory serves me correctly, next to Clark's the bakers was Bradshaw's toy shop. Then a chemists, then a post office, then a grocers shop (number 7 Lewes Road), where my Dad worked from the age of 14 to about 50, when he got the sack (unjustifiably), and then worked at Canada Dry at the back of Bevendean until he retired.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Thanks guys for posting, love spotting the cars of MY era, Hillman Imp in top photo etc. Went to Cornwall in a Hillman Sirrocco? Sloping back window....just a flash Imp! Still have a bad back!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
What the Consul? But having Googled it isn't a Consul, someone tell me!

I know it's taken a couple of years to reply, but I'm confined to one room with Covid by Mrs Earle, so have time for NSC rabbit holes. The car in the picture is a 50's Ford Zephyr. My dad had a Consul which is the first car of his that I remember. It was a gorgeous ivory white with a blue bench seat in the front - I sat in the middle - an umbrella handbrake, a gearstick on the steering wheel column and to me aged 4 or 5 it was wonderful. My dad let me steer it off road down the track through the park to the cottages off Ditchling Road opposite what was Varndean Girls School. The next model up from the Consul was the Zephyr which I think is the one pictured. Top of the range was the Zodiac, a much rarer beast at the time.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I know it's taken a couple of years to reply, but I'm confined to one room with Covid by Mrs Earle, so have time for NSC rabbit holes. The car in the picture is a 50's Ford Zephyr. My dad had a Consul which is the first car of his that I remember. It was a gorgeous ivory white with a blue bench seat in the front - I sat in the middle - an umbrella handbrake, a gearstick on the steering wheel column and to me aged 4 or 5 it was wonderful. My dad let me steer it off road down the track through the park to the cottages off Ditchling Road opposite what was Varndean Girls School. The next model up from the Consul was the Zephyr which I think is the one pictured. Top of the range was the Zodiac, a much rarer beast at the time.

Ha, Thanks can't remember asking!! What was the date? Started looking but have given up. Shame the originally posted doesn't have a date ! I remember Zephyrs very well I should really have known.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Ha, Thanks can't remember asking!! What was the date? Started looking but have given up. Shame the originally posted doesn't have a date ! I remember Zephyrs very well I should really have known.
The car was in the photo in #99 and you replied in post #103.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here