Sussex by the Sea
Old Steine/War Memorial?

279222378_10228530238067391_2260251360091271782_n.jpg
OS1.jpg

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Can you let us know where this is, and if there's a Google Map screen print of the site now which you can add as a comparison, brilliant.
This is very important- when you say where it is, don't forget to put a question-mark at the end! (it's all part of the game!!). :D

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
looks like bottom of South Road Preston Park. Brewery Tap on right hand corner.
Now the Shell petrol station

remember around there before that was demolished (which I would imagine was around 1964-65). My grand parents lived just up the hill in Robertson Road. My Grandad used to manage to walk down the road and cross over to what was a lawned area outside Preston Manor. He would lean up against an old green telecoms box watching ‘all the motors’ coming down to Brighton while chatting with his old mate.

Poor old fella had been badly gassed in WW1 and his lungs terribly burned. That short little walk was about the best he could manage.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
In the 1960's, on the left side (west) of those photos was a shop where "The Glass Animal Man" would sit in the window, crafting little glass animals with his blow-torch. Fascinating to watch.

Great memories, as a child I always had to stop and watch "The Glass Animal Man" working, as you say fascinating to watch.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
In the 1960's, on the left side (west) of those photos was a shop where "The Glass Animal Man" would sit in the window, crafting little glass animals with his blow-torch. Fascinating to watch.

I remember seeing him in the 70s, not sure when the shop closed.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
I remember seeing him in the 70s, not sure when the shop closed.

I thought he moved to The Palace Pier, might be wrong though, reading the post below I must have been wrong, but on the link comments people are mentioning the pier as well.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here