Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
If it's a pulled/torn soleus (the lower of the calf muscles, kind of sits under the gastroc), it usually only hurts when running as it's not much used in walking/cycling (I've done mine a few times) so sounds like this might be what you've tweaked. It's also a bit of a sod to heal and can take time. There are some specific soleus stretches you can do (loads on youtube), and if you can it's really worth a session with a sports massage therapist or physio, as (as well as actually getting a correct diagnosis - there are loads of moving parts in your lower leg, it could be something else) even if the tear/pull has healed it's quite likely there will be some scar tissue impinging proper movement of the muscle - this may even be causing the tightness you feel.

For anything that's not obvious or taking it's time to heal, a session with a physio is almost always the best thing to do.....diagnosis, treatment and recovery will usually be far quicker and more sustained

Sorry to hear you've had a similar problem, but it's reassuring for me that you say it does take time to heal and it will eventually go. I've looked on Youtube and found a video that seems to be about exactly what I've got. I've also just ordered a muscle massager too.
Just turn the volume down a bit so their voices are less annoying!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E29xkp-_Ogs

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I lose weight rapidly with anaerobic running but eat to keep even.
Talking of which it's the PP Magic Mile anytime between this coming Sunday to Wednesday. I've just had 2 weeks off for no reason other than waking up at 3:50am for the cricket made me jet laggy and then I got lazy. Had a little run today but will need to pull out all the stops to better last month's effort of 6:47. The plan was to improve every month and at least the Magic Mile has got me to put the trainers on again. Had to forget the boring slow stuff and flog the guts along by Shoreham Harbour.

Are you going to have a go?

I don't think I'm quite ready for a 1 mile blast right now. My knee doesn't feel quite right following some hill work last weekend (I also fell over which doesn't help).
I'll wait until it's a bit warmer and catch a windless day.
I managed a 22.52 this morning (AG 74.03%) along the prom. There was a nasty cross-wind, so in the circs that was a half decent run. Defo feeling anticipation of spring: over the years just about all of my best times have been in the May-September window.
Talking of boring slow stuff, I've just not got the appetite for it right now and actually walked a few. Will I get thrown off the thread?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I don't think I'm quite ready for a 1 mile blast right now. My knee doesn't feel quite right following some hill work last weekend (I also fell over which doesn't help).
I'll wait until it's a bit warmer and catch a windless day.
I managed a 22.52 this morning (AG 74.03%) along the prom. There was a nasty cross-wind, so in the circs that was a half decent run. Defo feeling anticipation of spring: over the years just about all of my best times have been in the May-September window.
Talking of boring slow stuff, I've just not got the appetite for it right now and actually walked a few. Will I get thrown off the thread?

Surely any decent attempt at a 1 mile blast REQUIRES a really windy day ? :)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sorry to hear you've had a similar problem, but it's reassuring for me that you say it does take time to heal and it will eventually go. I've looked on Youtube and found a video that seems to be about exactly what I've got. I've also just ordered a muscle massager too.
Just turn the volume down a bit so their voices are less annoying!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E29xkp-_Ogs

Been OK for quite a while now as I found out what was causing the repeated calf issues (adverse neural mobility). As [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] says it's bit of a bugger of a muscle to get at, even for a trained physio....be patient with the recovery as it's an easy one to re-injure if you do too much too soon. I found a couple of weeks of short run (gradually increasing - literally 1 minute, 2 minutes etc....) with walk breaks at least was needed - both to help it heal, and get confident that it wasn't going to go pop again.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Went to the Velodrome this morning for a 3k time trial, but in my haste to calculate the distance on track, I ballsed it up and started 100 metres ahead of the finish line, rather than 100 metres behind.

At what I thought was the finish I was very surprised to have clocked 10:05 which would have been a 40 second PB. After a bit of head scratching, it soon dawned on me that I’d made an error.

I think a genuine PB would have been touch and go, but a very satisfying run nonetheless.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Went to the Velodrome this morning for a 3k time trial, but in my haste to calculate the distance on track, I ballsed it up and started 100 metres ahead of the finish line, rather than 100 metres behind.

At what I thought was the finish I was very surprised to have clocked 10:05 which would have been a 40 second PB. After a bit of head scratching, it soon dawned on me that I’d made an error.

I think a genuine PB would have been touch and go, but a very satisfying run nonetheless.

One of my ultra pals was doing half a million laps or something there this morning...........she’s mad......

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
One of my ultra pals was doing half a million laps or something there this morning...........she’s mad......

I was speaking to a friend who is training for a 24 hour track race, so put in a half marathon round the grass next to the track.

Track is great for intervals and races, but for standard miles, extremely dull. Still better than a treadmill though.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I was speaking to a friend who is training for a 24 hour track race, so put in a half marathon round the grass next to the track.

Track is great for intervals and races, but for standard miles, extremely dull. Still better than a treadmill though.

I’ve done a few track marathons and ultras and a few other ‘lapped’ events (including a marathon on the PP cycle track, the Amex marathon etc)....I actually quite like them. Really easy to keep to a strategy, pacing etc and no logistics to worry about.

seagull_si

Jul 8, 2011
Peacehaven
I went for a jog yesterday for the first time in ages. Last night and this morning I have quite bad pain on the sole of my foot. After a bit of googling it appears in could well be Plantar Fasciitis. Anyone else had this? Any tips for recovery and prevention?

Thanks in advance.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Managed a very slow 7 and a bit miles this morning to make it my first double figure weekend in nearly a year. Progress. Slow progress.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Why, why, why do I promise myself a rest day (cos I’ve run every day for the past week and legs feel dead) do I read this thread and think, better go out for a run?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I went for a jog yesterday for the first time in ages. Last night and this morning I have quite bad pain on the sole of my foot. After a bit of googling it appears in could well be Plantar Fasciitis. Anyone else had this? Any tips for recovery and prevention?

Thanks in advance.

After the one run it may just be soreness that needs rest. Your trainers may be worn or not right for you. Ice and elevation may help or a paddle in the sea. Rolling a spiky ball, tennis ball or golf under the foot often helps.
PF is about the only injury I’ve never had, so that’s all I have to offer.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Bit busy outside running at the moment and have the PP Magic Mile on Wednesday and now also the virtual British Masters Mile by Sunday week.
So this, and inspiration from yesterdays World Record attempts by Ninja and Big Nuts at 2,800m, has led to a switch in training. Speed at low distance has replaced slow highish mileage. Also planning to put on the Vaporfly (4 miles in a year) on Wednesday.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I'm really going to go for it this morning. With my recent injury, I think it's time I did something. My plan is to walk 10 yards, jog extremely slowly for 10 yards, and repeat this as many times as I can before the calf sensation raises its ugly head.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm really going to go for it this morning. With my recent injury, I think it's time I did something. My plan is to walk 10 yards, jog extremely slowly for 10 yards, and repeat this as many times as I can before the calf sensation raises its ugly head.

Stop just before you feel any pain!:lolol:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
How hard do people think it would be to do the 4*4*48 "Goggins Challenge" - run 4 miles every 4 hours for 48 hours?

Maybe I'm being my usual over-optimistic self, but I'm thinking "I reckon I could do that" - the biggest issue would be the two mid-night (not midnight) runs and sleep.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
How hard do people think it would be to do the 4*4*48 "Goggins Challenge" - run 4 miles every 4 hours for 48 hours?

Maybe I'm being my usual over-optimistic self, but I'm thinking "I reckon I could do that" - the biggest issue would be the two mid-night (not midnight) runs and sleep.

Definitely one of those things that sounds easier than it actually is. I reckon by hour 36ish, you'd be gagging to get it over and done with and dreading the next few runs.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea

Looks do-able on paper, doesn't it. I think the biggest challenge for me would be explaining to the missus what I was doing. She's a very clever lady, but she literally would not understand the point of it! :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here