Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Gutted for you Badger. I hope you're able to make the new date.

I should be good, barring injury or this Covid-19 thing going on longer than expected. On the plus side, I actually got some money back by changing my flights. I also got a cheaper hotel booking. I was on the ball and booked cancellable hotels for 3 weekends in September last night. Some positives at least!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Bradford 10k still on on Sunday but tempted not to go - thoughts welcome.

I'd race if it were me but I'm overly bullish and a touch fatalistic in my approach to life and perhaps, therefore not to be trusted. However....

Ok, so much for rumours
Don’t believe a word I say...

https://www.brightonmarathonweekend.co.uk/press/coronavirus-statement/

This is quite extraordinary, given London is off. But I will absolutely be running unless a) Cobra advice makes them change their mind or b) I get a bad dose of covid-19 myself, close to the off.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Bradford 10k still on on Sunday but tempted not to go - thoughts welcome.

Do it, enjoy your life and live every day. You live every day. :thumbsup:

Hard to believe that Brighton will really go ahead if London is postponed

I might be in the minority, but I have no problem believing the Brighton marathon will go ahead, despite the sad news about London.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
The Autumn marathon season is starting to look pretty packed now with 5 of the 6 Majors now bunched up.

September 14 Boston (rescheduled date)
September 27 Berlin
October 4 London (rescheduled date)
October 11 Chicago
November 1 New York

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I'm not bothering to finish my training plan for something that won't happen. Happy with the last 14 weeks endurance based training but time to move onto proper running.

I’m going to carry on with the plan, unless and until I know it’s off. If it is eventually cancelled, I might try and run the route on the day anyway (perhaps with an early morning start)

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
London Marathon postponed. :down: New date is October 4th.

Aww that sucks too. Not unexpected though.

I feel bad for my friend. He's got a whole 2 week UK trip booked around the London Marathon. I hope he can rebook everything without too many penalties.

It sounds like you get a choice of entering in October with no extra cost or a guaranteed entry for next year but paying again. I wonder if they'll open up spots for people who can't do October.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Interesting that Brighton opened up to people registered at Paris and Rome (and took money from them). Maybe they’re going to do the same for London and Manchester, and then cancel and do a runner with the dosh ....

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Aww that sucks too. Not unexpected though.

I feel bad for my friend. He's got a whole 2 week UK trip booked around the London Marathon. I hope he can rebook everything without too many penalties.

It sounds like you get a choice of entering in October with no extra cost or a guaranteed entry for next year but paying again. I wonder if they'll open up spots for people who can't do October.

Fingers crossed for your friend Badger.

They'll probably allow people to defer to next year. I'm not sure they'll open up places though. Each year they have thousands of "no shows" at the expo registration, mostly ballot places that never get used and they factor this % in when they confirm ballot entries.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Fingers crossed for your friend Badger.

They'll probably allow people to defer to next year. I'm not sure they'll open up places though. Each year they have thousands of "no shows" at the expo registration, mostly ballot places that never get used and they factor this % in when they confirm ballot entries.

I mean they've already got the option of deferring to next year, but if a lot of people decide to defer to next year instead of running in October then they'll have space for more people to enter in October. I just wonder if they'll open up October for new registrations after everyone has decided.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
So Brighton's officially off now too. As I predicted, it waited until the decision was effectively made for it - combination of the Government and other races.

Not that that makes it any easier and I'm gutted for all of you have been putting in the miles and are in great shape.

Maybe we could have an NSC 'event' on Marathon day (unless we're all in lockdown)?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
So Brighton's officially off now too. As I predicted, it waited until the decision was effectively made for it - combination of the Government and other races.

Not that that makes it any easier and I'm gutted for all of you have been putting in the miles and are in great shape.

Maybe we could have an NSC 'event' on Marathon day (unless we're all in lockdown)?

I’ll definitely be running on marathon day. See you all in Preston Park minus the crowds and water stations.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

I’m happy to not do it but I’m day 66 without alcohol and have set BM as the target for having my next drink....

I’ll also miss my VO2 max test with Brighton Uni Marathon research team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here