Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I've got a race tomorrow (which isn't being cancelled), but also have a hip/ITB niggle............going to start anyway as it was always a jog/hike, can easily drop out if I need to as never more than about 100 yards from the finish
Good luck mate, but take care [emoji106]

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Looks like Boston is getting pushed back to September.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Looks like Boston is getting pushed back to September.

Tough luck. Hope you get to run it at some point. The problem now is how to rework training plans for marathons that are postponed such as Boston without a future date. OK for me as I can happily miss BM as it was just a training jaunt but bad for you and the majority on here going for a time.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Tough luck. Hope you get to run it at some point. The problem now is how to rework training plans for marathons that are postponed such as Boston without a future date. OK for me as I can happily miss BM as it was just a training jaunt but bad for you and the majority on here going for a time.

Yeah, it is a shame but at least there's lots of other people in the same boat. I'll just have to maintain a level of fitness into the summer and then ramp up the training again in July/August. A very long training cycle!

I do have a 30k race called Around the Bay in 2 weeks which I was planning on doing as a training run but I might race it now. They're saying it's still going ahead but that could obviously change too. It's actually been around longer than Boston too!

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I’m hearing a strong rumour (indirectly via someone involved in organising the Park and Ride), that it’s about to be announced that BM is being postponed until September.

Early autumn’s going to be a busy time for running ...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I’m hearing a strong rumour (indirectly via someone involved in organising the Park and Ride), that it’s about to be announced that BM is being postponed until September.

Early autumn’s going to be a busy time for running ...

That's me out. I'm not doing long training runs during the summer and September/October is my hoilday time anyway.

Was going to concentrate on the Sussex Road Relays April 4th. Nice fast 2 mile run at Christ's Hospital. The school has just announced it is closing and unable to do the event.

Last edited:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
If the marathon is cancelled before sunday's 20 mile race in Oundle (which is going ahead unless the government advice changes, apparently!) - I'll race it and see what speed I've got over 20 miles. It's not the marathon I'm targeting, but in the last day, really since my last post about the virus, I've been preparing myself emotionally for it to be cancelled.

I don't necessarily think it's unreasonable to be pissed off that a third race I've entered is going to be cancelled, for a third different reason. I've worked so hard for 9 months to work toward these events and for all of them to be cancelled is justifiably annoying, no?! Am I being unreasonable?!

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
If the marathon is cancelled before sunday's 20 mile race in Oundle (which is going ahead unless the government advice changes, apparently!) - I'll race it and see what speed I've got over 20 miles. It's not the marathon I'm targeting, but in the last day, really since my last post about the virus, I've been preparing myself emotionally for it to be cancelled.

I don't necessarily think it's unreasonable to be pissed off that a third race I've entered is going to be cancelled, for a third different reason. I've worked so hard for 9 months to work toward these events and for all of them to be cancelled is justifiably annoying, no?! Am I being unreasonable?!

I’m still hoping against hope that the rumours are wrong, but I’m pissed off too, and in your circumstances I’d be even more so, so not unreasonable, no!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

You've been ridiculously unlucky for sure.

However, when the Prime Minister (not 'the media') is describing the current situation as "the worst public health crisis for a generation" and that "Many more families are going to lose loved one before their time", I think I'd be finding some perspective on this one.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Boston moved to 14th September.

It's annoying but I'm happy they've postponed it rather than cancelled it.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I’m still hoping against hope that the rumours are wrong, but I’m pissed off too, and in your circumstances I’d be even more so, so not unreasonable, no!

I appreciate life goes on and there will be plenty of races to come, etc. Obviously, it's trivial. But it's not unreasonable to want to enjoy your life and the things you enjoy doing, right?!

You've been ridiculously unlucky for sure.

However, when the Prime Minister (not 'the media') is describing the current situation as "the worst public health crisis for a generation" and that "Many more families are going to lose loved one before their time", I think I'd be finding some perspective on this one.

I've never been in any doubt that people have died, which is sad in all cases. All lives come to an end but the last thing I want is to be involved in someone else dying either through actions or inaction. I'm very consciously aware that, touch wood, I have a strong immune system. My sister, for example, doesn't. She's currently particularly worried about Covid-19, and understandably so. Do I think she's overreacting? Massively. Is it understandable? Of course it is. She's 34, and a Doctor was really good with her talking about the virus and how it affects people, why it's killing people, and why it's very unlikely to be terminal for her in her situation. Obviously, I don't want to be responsible for her catching it, or anyone else. But should I go into isolation forever?! Some people on this forum definitely seem to think there should be social distancing for however long with immediate effect and I don't agree that's necessary. Ultimately, I'm following the advice of government (which a lot of people don't seem happy with either!). I'm no expert and I don't claim to be. There's every chance I'm wrong in my outlook about the whole thing, I have no problem acknowledging that.

Boston moved to 14th September.

It's annoying but I'm happy they've postponed it rather than cancelled it.

September and October are going to be absolutely manic, sportswise. It's something to look forward to, assuming everything has blown over and we can enjoy things in life again!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Bloody annoying for you.....

Said it before but drop into a Phoenix race - they will do all they can to keep going. The routes are flat and fast.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Bloody annoying for you.....

Said it before but drop into a Phoenix race - they will do all they can to keep going. The routes are flat and fast.

I imagine that I will do over the summer months - but I quite like the idea of named events as being particularly memorable and significant. I enjoy long distance running but I don't have your endurance in terms of running multiple laps of the same route. parkrun is about my limit for running several laps of the same route. I know that they have plenty of variation and whatnot, I'm sure I'll do some - and it is also good to remember there are plenty of options out there!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here