Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I've done some forensic work on this. After much research I found out that the respondents were exclusively sourced from the Crystal Palace FC forum's running thread...………….

.....very likely. 12 minute milers yet they still managed to run away on Boxing Day in the ‘70’s. Pretty Pink Fairy and his mates must have been really slow.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What are peoples thoughts on the likelihood of Brighton Marathon being cancelled/postponed?

I'd give the chances of it going ahead in the low single digit percentages.

Manchester Marathon, a few weeks before, will be one to watch first.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
What are peoples thoughts on the likelihood of Brighton Marathon being cancelled/postponed?

I'm 99% sure it will be cancelled. But, of course, organisers (of running races, events or anything else) won't admit it because a) they don't want to cop the flak and b) don't want to lose money. They will hold out until their hands are forced by, probably, the Government, who will deem events over a certain number be banned. It's a pattern that we've seen elsewhere and the reason why events all over the world have been cancelled. That, plus travel bans, logistical problems and all sorts of other issues that are either coming down the line or here already.

I'm not expecting a decision on it until nearer the time, but I fully expect to happen. I had a email conversation with someone organising a major industry event in April and in it he was adamant that it was going ahead, but that's largely because he is acting on advice from the Government. As soon as that changes – despite how enthusiastic his words are that it will happen – it'll be binned.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I don't think it will be long before Boston and London get cancelled.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
On the contrary, I don't see a justification for cancelling it. I know [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] is a hyperconservative when it comes to Covid-19, but I don't think it's guaranteed to be cancelled. Maybe it'll be postponed to October, like everything else, because October is a magical month where no disease can hurt us and we'll have our pick of hundreds of events. There'll be an F1 race everyday of the week, Half Marathons and 10ks every saturday and sunday. On the plus side, it could be an awesome month to be a runner picking up bling all over the place.

I saw the parkrun HQ posted an advisory warning earlier this week. We'll see whether any of them falls before we start worrying about the marathon being cancelled. Maybe they could just hold the marathon behind closed doors? :jester:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I'll just carry on training until something concrete happens regarding the marathon.

Going back to the Surrey Half, I've had a chance to do some analysis on my watch data, and I'm very happy with how the run went. Particularly pleasing was that my last full mile was my quickest, a 6:29, and that I managed negative splits for the first time, in that my second half was 7 seconds quicker than my first half!

I think I learned that I had plenty in the tank and could perhaps have gone quicker, though that wasn't the priority as it was a training run and I was going at a pace quicker than I would for the marathon.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
I'll just carry on training until something concrete happens regarding the marathon.

Going back to the Surrey Half, I've had a chance to do some analysis on my watch data, and I'm very happy with how the run went. Particularly pleasing was that my last full mile was my quickest, a 6:29, and that I managed negative splits for the first time, in that my second half was 7 seconds quicker than my first half!

I think I learned that I had plenty in the tank and could perhaps have gone quicker, though that wasn't the priority as it was a training run and I was going at a pace quicker than I would for the marathon.

Ditto. Still training for London until firm news comes in but the likelihood of it taking place on April 26th look very slim now, along with Manchester, Brighton. :(

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
On the contrary, I don't see a justification for cancelling it. I know [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] is a hyperconservative when it comes to Covid-19, but I don't think it's guaranteed to be cancelled. Maybe it'll be postponed to October, like everything else, because October is a magical month where no disease can hurt us and we'll have our pick of hundreds of events. There'll be an F1 race everyday of the week, Half Marathons and 10ks every saturday and sunday. On the plus side, it could be an awesome month to be a runner picking up bling all over the place.

I saw the parkrun HQ posted an advisory warning earlier this week. We'll see whether any of them falls before we start worrying about the marathon being cancelled. Maybe they could just hold the marathon behind closed doors? :jester:

Is this still just media frenzy BTW?

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Can't see London or Brighton going ahead. They don't need to make a decision until closer to the time, as they will follow government guidelines, which at the moment are carry on as normal. This will no doubt change over the next few weeks and it is still over 4 weeks until Brighton and London.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Is this still just media frenzy BTW?

Yes. Just because they're speaking loudly and making everyone panic, doesn't mean their coverage is right. How much is all the reaction a self fulfilling prophecy? We'll never know for certain, obviously, but I do wonder how much their coverage is the cause of the hysterical panic buying, etc. I think there's a more measured approach they could have taken if they really wanted to but, obviously, they want the website traffic. They want the viewing figures and I'm certain they're making a nice packet from advertising and a nice boost in their viewership.

The problem is that with this sort of story, it's just purely negative because nobody wants there to be cases in the thousands/hundreds of thousands, etc - but if there are, it would justify the panic and coverage whilst there aren't that many cases. If the number of cases doesn't ever reach the hysterical levels being predicted, you won't be seeing any posts from me saying I told you so, because I'll be happy more people haven't been infected. I think there's too much discussion about it, ultimately.

Whatever though - it won't be stopping me running. :thumbsup: Looking forward to getting out in the sunshine for a nice 10 miler at lunch time today, route to be decided.

Last edited:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Come on guys remember why this thread is the best on NSC. It is about running!

... so can we PLEASE get back to moaning about the wind?! I can honestly say running back toward the Pier from Rottingdean is the least favourite running stretch I've ever attempted and I include the Worthing Half that year we ran into a wall of wind. That this afternoon was truly horrible, there were times I felt I was barely moving. I'm also fairly sure the wind was spraying me with seawater, I ran over the top to avoid getting slammed by waves but I'm not sure it made too much difference. I did run past a cyclist who was failing to achieve forward momentum - but otherwise it was grim. Really, really grim. Nice run through Woodingdean and then Ovingdean, though. On the plus side!

I'm now looking forward to a nice day off tomorrow, stroll into work and home again - no running and no cycling, probably no swimming either but if I can drag my sorry carcus out of bed in the morning I shall make it so.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Come on guys remember why this thread is the best on NSC. It is about running!

It's just not been the same since we left the EU...

*runs away*

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've got a race tomorrow (which isn't being cancelled), but also have a hip/ITB niggle............going to start anyway as it was always a jog/hike, can easily drop out if I need to as never more than about 100 yards from the finish

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I've got a race tomorrow (which isn't being cancelled), but also have a hip/ITB niggle............going to start anyway as it was always a jog/hike, can easily drop out if I need to as never more than about 100 yards from the finish

A running track? What’s the event?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here