Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I have done 18 the last two Sundays, will do 20 this Sunday then taper down from there. I find the long runs painful and ache like buggery the next day. This will be my fourth and last marathon.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I have done 18 the last two Sundays, will do 20 this Sunday then taper down from there. I find the long runs painful and ache like buggery the next day. This will be my fourth and last marathon.

Have you ever done a trail marathon ? Completely different experience - less stress about times (it's going to take you longer anyway so why worry) but most noticeably you'll recover much, much quicker. Road running just pounds the same parts over and over again, whereas the trails work different systems all the time. You'll still be knackered obviously but the difference is remarkable. Give it a go before you give up - loads of local ones to try out (Three Forts a good bet, about 3 weeks after Brighton so you'll be recovered but still have all the marathon fitness)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I ran 20 miles last Sunday and although I felt utter dogshit at end at least no injuries. Will do another 20 this weekend hopefully a 22 next and that will wrap it up for me. My shorter times of 7 miles have come tumbling down so I'm happy - really hoping to avoid last years 14 mile blowup where I had to start walking a lot of it and maybe get inside 4 30 this year

Good effort but I reckon you could drop the 22 miler next weekend. It's more likely to wear you out. As Dazzer said have trust! I'm looking forward to a 16 miler that Sunday and will max on 19m this Sunday.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Have you ever done a trail marathon ? Completely different experience - less stress about times (it's going to take you longer anyway so why worry) but most noticeably you'll recover much, much quicker. Road running just pounds the same parts over and over again, whereas the trails work different systems all the time. You'll still be knackered obviously but the difference is remarkable. Give it a go before you give up - loads of local ones to try out (Three Forts a good bet, about 3 weeks after Brighton so you'll be recovered but still have all the marathon fitness)

Thanks for the advice. I haven't done a trail marathon. I have done some off road running in Cumbria and Snowdonia (I live in North Wales) and must admit it is definitely easier on the joints. Whether I could manage a marathon I'm not sure, the most I have done off road is about 12 miles but that was very up and down (Cumbria). One of my colleagues is a very keen fell runner (He won his category in the 100 mile Cumbria Ultra Fell run) and he is always trying to persuade that off road is best. At 49 I'm not sure I'm up to it any more!!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Final long run Monday looking for around 20 miles ideally. Torn between a hilly run or flat to west Worthing and back.

Still haven't run past 2hrs 15 mins yet so haven't even taken water with me on any runs yet, but considering taking a couple of gels as I move up to 2 hrs 30/45.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks for the advice. I haven't done a trail marathon. I have done some off road running in Cumbria and Snowdonia (I live in North Wales) and must admit it is definitely easier on the joints. Whether I could manage a marathon I'm not sure, the most I have done off road is about 12 miles but that was very up and down (Cumbria). One of my colleagues is a very keen fell runner (He won his category in the 100 mile Cumbria Ultra Fell run) and he is always trying to persuade that off road is best. At 49 I'm not sure I'm up to it any more!!

Try a half first ? The Three Forts thing has both so give it a go..........?

http://www.threefortschallenge.org.uk/

BTW I am 48 and pretty much avoid roads for anything long now.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Feeling remarkably positive at the moment, almost wish it was tomorrow. Have steadily built up distance and plan 20-21 miles tomorrow incorporating Hove Park somewhere in the middle. Planning one more long run on Thursday morning and then tapering.
Enjoying the running and desperate to keep injury and illness free for the next three weeks.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Looking forward to Hastings Sunday, but suddenly started really worrying about the big hills... Did Eastbourne 3 wks ago and the beachy head hill was horrible - ended up walking some of it for the first time ever on any sort of run. Any tips for the 5miles or so of uphill to start...?!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Looking forward to Hastings Sunday, but suddenly started really worrying about the big hills... Did Eastbourne 3 wks ago and the beachy head hill was horrible - ended up walking some of it for the first time ever on any sort of run. Any tips for the 5miles or so of uphill to start...?!

I am yet to see it but have pushed it to the back of my mind like a trip to the dentist. Will take it easy thinking of the downhill in the second half.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As anyone who also frequents the restaurant thread will know I went out for dinner last night and my resolve broke a little. Two glasses of wine, one with each course. I now feel terrible! Clearly my system had just de-toxed. So it will be a sober Six Nations decider with friends today and my "dress rehearsal" tomorrow - up at 6.30 for a slice of brown toast and water and off at 8.30 precisely to run my 10k course as fast as I can. Also have a Garmin GPS watch on order.

Thanks to [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] and others for these suggestions. This thread has been incredibly helpful :thumbsup:

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009

Bit of a climb off the seafront but from then on its just a gradual ascent,just get into a rhythm.lf you go on YouTube and put in Hastings half marathon their is a route video which takes you round the course, watch that and it will put your mind at rest.

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Bit of a climb off the seafront but from then on its just a gradual ascent,just get into a rhythm.lf you go on YouTube and put in Hastings half marathon their is a route video which takes you round the course, watch that and it will put your mind at rest.

Thanks mate - I did watch that. I don't mind a gradual hill atall. My mate was Prob winding me up a bit about the Hastings hill! He did a PB there last ur so it can't be that slow a course!

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
Thanks mate - I did watch that. I don't mind a gradual hill atall. My mate was Prob winding me up a bit about the Hastings hill! He did a PB there last ur so it can't be that slow a course!

Two words of advice, try to stay in control coming down the hill, known runners to pick up an injury on the descent and when you hit the seafront the finish seems to take forever especially if theirs a westerly blowing, be prepared to dog it out.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

By way of coincidence, I went out for a run this morning and decided to try a slightly different route, which included the first portion on The Gallops which run behind where I live. It's probably the first time I've run for running's sake, on grass, since I was at school. Other than the undulations, I didn't notice much difference...

...until I reached the road and returned to tarmac. Blimey - the difference in impact and jarring was significant. I think I'm going to make an effort to include more off-road whenever I can now.

Good effort but I reckon you could drop the 22 miler next weekend. It's more likely to wear you out. As Dazzer said have trust! I'm looking forward to a 16 miler that Sunday and will max on 19m this Sunday.

Thanks - probably sensible advice, I will see how I feel after tomorrow's run. The aggravating factor for me is my weight, I'm still at least a stone over where I should ideally be but find these long runs excellent at just slicing 2-3 pounds off but yes I also have that nagging fear that Simgull voiced about picking up a stupid injury at this late stage. Good luck to Bad Ash, while there is time there is hope, get the miles in :)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Last year I put on here how I lost 6lbs during my 20m long run. I ran it without water and within an hour after drinking 6 pints of water I was 6lbs heavier again. I believe a pound equals a pint and a kg a litre.

Thanks for tip on running the downhill carefully at Hastings as I certainly do not want an injury now. I think the wind will be Northerly tomorrow making the hill harder and the downhill faster, so no over striding for me.

Today was a nightmare gentle Hove Parkrun. Car at Waitrose, mile jog round park, Parkrun 5k, mile jog round park, jog to car, key not in pocket, jog back to park finish line key not there, jog to Waitrose to tell them car will be over 2 hour limit, jog home to get spare key, cycle back to car. 8 mile run in the end.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here