Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
An 11 miler this morning in horrible conditions. Avg 7.40 pace not too bad after Wednesday's race as my legs were a tad heavy

Great pace......

I managed about 17.5 miles on the Downs yesterday, deliberately very slowly. Conditions were grim - lots of claggy mud and really windy. Nice views of the Amex from both sides (The Beacon and above Kingston) though :)

Still planning on doing Preston Park on Saturday if anyone else is going. Polar opposite of the type of run I did yesterday, 20 odd mins of eyeballs out vs 3 hours of gentle plodding

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Not unreasonable but depends on your objectives really. If it's just getting round in one piece what you are planning is OK but if you're hoping for a time you need to introduce some speed work to your schedule. 3 runs a week is just about enough (particularly if you are still swimming) but rather than doing all of it at the same pace, do something like one fairly hard ('tempo'), one as intervals and the long one as slow (but sometimes with longer higher speed segments) - ideally 30s to a minute per mile slower than you plan to do the half. Sounds like your base fitness should be pretty good.

Thanks, I just want to get around really without the run being extremely unpleasant. I am a real plodder when it comes to running and pretty comfortable that my time is not going to be great. I have done intervals in the past and could work this into the short runs to try and get some life back into my legs.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Whoop :) 5k pb for me (by 30s) this morning in the peeing rain at Preston Park. Can't tell you how pleased I am after missing almost all of last year through various injuries.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Need to get back into it this week as had about 3 weeks of eating and drinking to much i think it's going to hurt. My 5K PB set last year of 21.58 is there for the beating in 2015.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Whoop :) 5k pb for me (by 30s) this morning in the peeing rain at Preston Park. Can't tell you how pleased I am after missing almost all of last year through various injuries.

Nice one. Got to admit I opened the curtains at 7:30, saw the pouring rain and decided to go back to bed. Will go out shortly as my penance!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've just started a blog on blogger about my journey to my first 100 mile run in August. It's a diary I suppose, thought it'd be good to share and hopefully I'll learn some things. Link is as follows!

http://alexultraruns.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1

Good luck......got my first 100 this year too (injuries permitting) and properly training for it. If you want to hook up for a run at some point let me know - I am in Burgess Hill but on the Downs most weekends. Also did L2B last year. Loved it, brilliant event.

Cars

Feb 13, 2012
Haywards Heath
Good luck......got my first 100 this year too (injuries permitting) and properly training for it. If you want to hook up for a run at some point let me know - I am in Burgess Hill but on the Downs most weekends. Also did L2B last year. Loved it, brilliant event.

Ah not to far from me then! Might take me a couple of months to get back up to speed. But when I am can meet you on the roundabout near Burgess Hill (on the way to Ditchling) and could run to Alfriston or Eastbourne?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Ah not to far from me then! Might take me a couple of months to get back up to speed. But when I am can meet you on the roundabout near Burgess Hill (on the way to Ditchling) and could run to Alfriston or Eastbourne?

Sure. I tend to park at the Windmills and run from there. Avoiding roads most of the time on long runs (coaches orders)

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Furthest run since last years Brighton marathon. Mine to Saltdean along the under cliff and back 12 miles in 90 minutes so very pleased with that. Looking for a sub 1 hour 35 minute half marathon at the end of Feb.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Just updated my blog if anyone's interested! www.alexultraruns.blogspot.com

I'll certainly take a look as L2B and ultras in general are something I'd be interested in doing in the future.

I made it out before the heavens opened this morning - lovely weather for it now, though. With no marathon this year I'm aiming to run every day in January (minimum 10 mins), and it's going well so far. Around 46 miles clocked up, and the short runs are a bit of a revelation as I'm normally 5/6 miles minimum (excluding parkrun).

Aiming for a PB at Brighton Half, but nowhere near @bignuts' time. I'd be delighted with 1:40.

Cars

Feb 13, 2012
Haywards Heath
I'll certainly take a look as L2B and ultras in general are something I'd be interested in doing in the future.

I made it out before the heavens opened this morning - lovely weather for it now, though. With no marathon this year I'm aiming to run every day in January (minimum 10 mins), and it's going well so far. Around 46 miles clocked up, and the short runs are a bit of a revelation as I'm normally 5/6 miles minimum (excluding parkrun).

Aiming for a PB at Brighton Half, but nowhere near @bignuts' time. I'd be delighted with 1:40.

Good luck!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

If you keep clocking up those miles you may well get closer to 1:35 than you think. Good luck running in the wind this weekend it's going to get pretty blowy out there.

I'm trying to work out if a 35 MPH South Westerly would help with Hove Park Run. I think it might as it will blow you up the hill.

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
Broke 20 minutes for Tilgate Park Run on Saturday which was a nice one to knock off. Back to uni now and into revision so training may be limited in coming weeks. Still need a few more long runs in before Hampton Court half in Feb then its all out preparation for the Brighton Marathon.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
If you keep clocking up those miles you may well get closer to 1:35 than you think. Good luck running in the wind this weekend it's going to get pretty blowy out there.

I'm trying to work out if a 35 MPH South Westerly would help with Hove Park Run. I think it might as it will blow you up the hill.

Hopefully see you there on Saturday. Seeing the physio tomorrow to check my knee but hoping I'm on the mend, need to start clocking up some miles - 13 weeks til marathon.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Broke 20 minutes for Tilgate Park Run on Saturday which was a nice one to knock off. Back to uni now and into revision so training may be limited in coming weeks. Still need a few more long runs in before Hampton Court half in Feb then its all out preparation for the Brighton Marathon.

Great running.....

Got a bit of a dilemma now. Not done a decent long race for over a year due to injury, am down to do the Dark Star river run which given the muddy conditions could take me anything up to 6 hours (as I will be jog/walking as I have done nowhere near the training miles I'd usually have done). It starts at 9am next Sunday so potential clash with the cup match. Bloody typical. I really don't want to miss either the race or the match so tempted to get a ticket and shoot to the ground immediately after......suppose I can book a parking space at the ground to make this more doable but will be touch and go at best.....

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Has anyone ever followed the Furman training plan for a marathon?

I'm three weeks into it and it's going quite well, but I keep thinking I won't be getting enough miles in the legs.

For my previous two marathons I followed a more conventional 16 week plan, but don't have as much time to train this time around.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here