Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Official NFL Thread 2023/2024

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I'll put this here rather than starting a new thread. I'm sure you've all seen 'The Blind Side', but I was very sad to read this story about Michael Oher:

I loved 'The Blind Side'. I remember at the time having the teeniest of doubts about the story, but I thought Oher must have been ok with it, and the Tuohys, otherwise he wouldn't have gone along with the project. Now it turns out he never liked his portrayal in the film, and he thinks the Tuohys lied to him. :(
Anyone who follows American Football knew that Oher was nothing like he was portrayed in the film - it was well-known that he was an up-and-coming football player long before he met the Tuohys. The reason he ended up in an expensive private school was because of his football talent. He stayed with multiple families during his time at Briarcrest - the Tuohys being the last in a long line of people . There was a reason the NCCA investigated whether the Tuohys were engaged in boosting to get him to play for Ole Miss. And the portrayal of the NCCA investigation in the film is fiction. The book the film is based on was written by Michael Lewis - a former classmate of Sean Tuohy.

It is also clear that Oher was suspicious of everything that was going on - in his senior yearbook profile he used the quote from a song from a rapper that said - 'If he didn’t become a star, would people still care about him?'

If the lawsuit is accurate then it seems pretty clear that the Tuohys did lie to him if he understood he was being adopted when in fact he was signing a legal conservatorship - and he only found out recently about this conservatorship. The conservatorship apparently prevented Oher from negotiating or entering contracts or making medical decisions by himself. Oher's agent was Debra Branan, a close family friend of the Tuohys and the same lawyer who filed the conservatorship in 2004. Since 2004 the Tuohys have repeatedly stated that Oher is their adopted son - which he is not, never has been - yet they continued to make this claim. The Board of Directors of the 'Making it Happen' Foundation are - Sean Tuohy, Leigh Anne Tuohy, Collins Tuohy, SJ Tuohy and Debra Branan. Leigh Anne Tuohy is reputed to get anywhere from $50k-$100K per event as a motivational speaker. Collins Tuohy is following in her mother's footsteps and reputedly gets between $40K-$75K per event (and like her mother uses her relationship with Oher as the basis for her talk and her profile calls him her 'adopted brother').

If Oher wins this case he will get millions off of them.

Edit: - and I forgot to mention - Oher has always said that he hated the movie and in particular that it the reason for his success at the feet of the Tuohys rather than his own commitment and motivation to succeed.

Last edited:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Only caught the end of Q3 onwards, but good for the league I think that the Chiefs lost. Never ideal when one team becomes too dominant.

Mind you, from what I saw, one of their WRs had an absolute mare dropping doozy catches. Had he not done so, could've been a different outcome.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Anyone who follows American Football knew that Oher was nothing like he was portrayed in the film - it was well-known that he was an up-and-coming football player long before he met the Tuohys. The reason he ended up in an expensive private school was because of his football talent. He stayed with multiple families during his time at Briarcrest - the Tuohys being the last in a long line of people . There was a reason the NCCA investigated whether the Tuohys were engaged in boosting to get him to play for Ole Miss. And the portrayal of the NCCA investigation in the film is fiction. The book the film is based on was written by Michael Lewis - a former classmate of Sean Tuohy.

It is also clear that Oher was suspicious of everything that was going on - in his senior yearbook profile he used the quote from a song from a rapper that said - 'If he didn’t become a star, would people still care about him?'

If the lawsuit is accurate then it seems pretty clear that the Tuohys did lie to him if he understood he was being adopted when in fact he was signing a legal conservatorship - and he only found out recently about this conservatorship. The conservatorship apparently prevented Oher from negotiating or entering contracts or making medical decisions by himself. Oher's agent was Debra Branan, a close family friend of the Tuohys and the same lawyer who filed the conservatorship in 2004. Since 2004 the Tuohys have repeatedly stated that Oher is their adopted son - which he is not, never has been - yet they continued to make this claim. The Board of Directors of the 'Making it Happen' Foundation are - Sean Tuohy, Leigh Anne Tuohy, Collins Tuohy, SJ Tuohy and Debra Branan. Leigh Anne Tuohy is reputed to get anywhere from $50k-$100K per event as a motivational speaker. Collins Tuohy is following in her mother's footsteps and reputedly gets between $40K-$75K per event (and like her mother uses her relationship with Oher as the basis for her talk and her profile calls him her 'adopted brother').

If Oher wins this case he will get millions off of them.

Edit: - and I forgot to mention - Oher has always said that he hated the movie and in particular that it the reason for his success at the feet of the Tuohys rather than his own commitment and motivation to succeed.

She makes HOW MUCH?

In other news, not surprising the Chiefs lost. They always start poorly.

FCB

Sep 1, 2023
Well, the aforementioned nfl.com sees the Seahawks as the only A+ team, so have to be happy with that.

Second year that the front office have switched to BPA (best player available) rather than pursuing more ‘need’-based picks.

So while CB and WR weren’t necessarily top needs, we’ve come away with - arguably - ‘the best of 2023’ in both positions.

Will still need to sort a lot of issues on both the offensive and defensive lines in the later rounds, and perhaps subsequent trades and roster moves, but clearly the feeling was that none of the options for these were worth the pick stretch.

And seems like Jalen Carter failed our equivalent of the No Dickheads policy, as many expected Seattle to take him.

Seahawks fan here too. Very pleased with last two drafts (thanks, Denver!) and a young team we're building. Optimistic about this season, hopefully Geno can keep it up.

Jalen Carter would likely turn into another Malik McDowell or L.J.Collier so happy we didn't draft him.

Also, just watched this video.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Good call re Detroit…..

Hutchinson is a real star, plus Gibbs looked good.
I think Hutchinson is a bit of a highlights package. Obviously sacks are important, but I was watching some tape from the KC game which showed him being so focused on hitting the QB that he abandons the task in hand. One particular play, Detroit have KC backed up in 3rd and long, the defence are supposed to be playing inside contain knowing full well the Chief’s receivers can’t catch, Hutchinson decides on a double spin move inside the tackle, Mahomes sees this and runs outside of the tackle and has an unchallenged path to an easy 1st down.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Super excited about tonight, for once I have serious excitement about the upcoming season. I genuinely believe Trevor is going take another big step forward in his development under Doug Pederson. I was reading an article recently in which Pederson made some really interesting comments about T-Law. Obviously everyone knew the kid had talent by the bucket load, but Doug and his coaching team were surprised by how little Trevor knew about playing football. The article highlights that at Clemson Trevor didn’t learn anything that was remotely beneficial about playing quarterback in the NFL, so basically when Doug and Mike McCoy got their hands on him they had to start from scratch.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think Hutchinson is a bit of a highlights package. Obviously sacks are important, but I was watching some tape from the KC game which showed him being so focused on hitting the QB that he abandons the task in hand. One particular play, Detroit have KC backed up in 3rd and long, the defence are supposed to be playing inside contain knowing full well the Chief’s receivers can’t catch, Hutchinson decides on a double spin move inside the tackle, Mahomes sees this and runs outside of the tackle and has an unchallenged path to an easy 1st down.
Really good observation, but on the other hand, Mahomes destroys teams the more time he has, so no limiting pressure is not an option IMO. The emphasis on the secondary stepping up is massive against KCC.

I think you have an LB as a QB spy, but then WTF do I know!

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Can’t decide how I feel about the Giants this season. Positive at the moment.

I think we overachieved last season, largely because of Daboll. I think Waller is a great signing, but it’s keeping him fit, (has a hamstring injury for tonight 😔). Bellinger is a reasonable replacement, and I wonder if we’ll run more two TE sets this season.

Hoping Hyatt will provide some much needed pace at WR.

Two rookie CBs is a slight worry, but they’ve been good in camp.

Thinking 9-8…..

Blazing Apostle

Jul 30, 2011
This new Sky Sports Sunday night format replacing constant game updates from aroud league with just awkward chat from Neil is a total disaster...almost unwatchable!!! - I don't want to watch Red Zone - its worked perfectly well for last decade to have a live game with constant score updates - why ruin it!!! - Complain to Sky Sports

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Pre match atmosphere in Pittsburgh looked amazing, shame the 49ers blew the game out the water early on.
Switched to Red Zone and some pretty good games, my Jags made hard work of it before coming good in Q4, Browns trashing the Bengals was a heck of a result

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Pre match atmosphere in Pittsburgh looked amazing, shame the 49ers blew the game out the water early on.
Switched to Red Zone and some pretty good games, my Jags made hard work of it before coming good in Q4, Browns trashing the Bengals was a heck of a result
Bengals always struggle in Cleveland it seems.

The weather was abysmal, and Burrow was switching between a glove and non glove. Zac Taylor rested some of his starters in the fourth.

I think Browns will surprise a few people this season.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Seahawks fan here too. Very pleased with last two drafts (thanks, Denver!) and a young team we're building. Optimistic about this season, hopefully Geno can keep it up.
Well. Morning fellow 12. How staggeringly awful was that complete shitshow? Don’t think anyone expected that.

12 yards offence in the entire second half. Nine of those on a meaningless play deep in garbage time.

I’m in shock.

Reactions: FCB

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
This new Sky Sports Sunday night format replacing constant game updates from aroud league with just awkward chat from Neil is a total disaster...almost unwatchable!!! - I don't want to watch Red Zone - its worked perfectly well for last decade to have a live game with constant score updates - why ruin it!!! - Complain to Sky Sports
Wasn't it dreadful? Also one of the great things about the Sky coverage was the coaches in the studio who'd break down the plays, now they've dumbed it down so that it's worse than the BBC. They've replaced the analysis with just whoops and yells and shouts of "My man!" and "Great play!".

Bengals always struggle in Cleveland it seems.

The weather was abysmal, and Burrow was switching between a glove and non glove. Zac Taylor rested some of his starters in the fourth.

I think Browns will surprise a few people this season.
Including our own fans! Wasn't expecting such a comprehensive win against a team some have suggested could be Superbowl contenders. Ah well, we can screw it up next week against a wounded and hurt Pittsburgh.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I still dont care one bit for DeShaun Watson, but Im mellowing towards the Browns again - & it was a great win against Cincy....the 100th match-up between the two.

While the defense looks like it could be a very strong unit this year, I am worried the offense could struggle a bit (barring Chubb of course) If he goes down injured they are F****d. I know its only week one but, to me, Watson still doesn't look worth his $230m fully guaranteed contract, and the receiving corps are just a bit "meh" tbh.

As for the Chargers, it looked like the same old same old. Herbert doing what he can with great support from the running game - but Mike Williams went missing (again) & the D had more holes in it than a fishing net. Should've been a winnable game last night, but they just couldn't handle Tua & Tyreek at all. I have a feeling they will miss Dru Tranquill more than they think this year.

I also have a feeling Brandon Staley could be one of the first to be in the HC hot seat this season....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here