Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Racing: If anyone remembers Plato at Cheltenham...

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
... it just possible there may be a similar opportunity in the charity race at Goodwood on Thursday.

Celebrity/charity races are great. I love them, anyway, because the odds compilers take a maximum of 10 minutes to price them up, and half the runners couldn't win with a furlong start.

This one isn't quite as solid as Plato back in March, but the price is better, and I can't help thinking that Jungle Bay, the mount of Emma Spencer, should be closer to even-money for the Magnolia Cup than the 3-1 that Hills are currently offering.

A couple of other runners have fair recent form, but they are, at best, early-to-mid-70 horses, while Avon River (7-2) and Jungle Bay are both mid-to-high 80s on form. And while Avon River will be ridden by a novice in the form of Pink Floyd drummer Nick Mason's better half, Jungle Bay will be partnered by Emma S, who was sufficiently polished as a jockey to register regular 20pc strike-rates in her late-90s pomp.

She's been busy with motherhood since then, but she is still very fit and her competitive streak is as fierce as ever. She will know that the way to win these races is to get off to a flyer and defy the rest to overtake, which most of her opponents will be too tired, or hopeless, to persuade their mounts to do.

There's plenty that can go wrong, of course, but it's over the straight six furlongs with a flag start and Emma has to be a decent bet to make the most of that too. 3-1 may not seem like much of a price, but in percentage terms, I reckon it could be one of the value bets of the year.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Ship has sailed somewhat with Emma now 2-1, but still very fair in what is probably a two-horse race at best.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Yes, Paddy Power are 5/2. Hills now into 7/4.

I have actually backed against Jungle Bay with Grand Piano (14/1) and Six Wives (6/1) with Hills. Complete guess as to whether either of their pilots can ride but if they go too quick GP is overpriced and if they don't then Six Wives is the fastest horse in the field for me, albeit this is a furlong further than ideal.

Just to note that if you bet with PP they are showing the names of the horses as they are for the purpose of this race rather than their "real" names! Confused, yep.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Was on Hills' site from yesterday under Future Markets but it seems to have gone now. Coral are doing it, but only in the shops apparently.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
It was still there this morning. Type the horse's name in the search facility and it takes you to the race betting.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
LUMPED on, might be some E/W value in Sara Cox as she used to ride horses, not that it means much in these races !

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
It's a shambles, one of the horses is listed in the racecard as Jungle Bay when it's really Grand Piano. Bizarre.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Missed the break, never dangerous. Ouch. And triple ouch for the jockey who fell just past the winning line.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here