Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] NSC on Xenforo

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Thanks - appreciate the constructive feedback.

You should find it tidier when you scroll down on your phone now, and I've learned something into the bargain too!

Yep - I’m on the iPhone now in dark mode with zero ads at the bottom of the page... to go all 90s... it’s lush.

Top work.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I'm not sure I can remember the old place now.

Well done @Bozza and thank you for the upgrade.

Oh, on an 'asking for a friend' basis did the smacked bottoms for casual isms from the old place get carried over or are slates clean?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I've found a minor problem. When clicking on the link to the number of replies in a thread it brings up a list of everyone who has posted and how many times they've posted on said thread. However when you click on the posts made by that person in said thread it only shows posts made since the migration to the Xenforo software.

It's not a big deal, but sometimes when posts are bounced from a long time ago and I see i've posted in them I like to see what I said. It's also a useful tool when looking for a post but you can't remember when it was posted, just who posted it.

Is there an easy way to fix this? I'm guessing the whole board would need re-indexing or something and that could be time consuming and resource hungry so obviously not high up on the priority list.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've found a minor problem. When clicking on the link to the number of replies in a thread it brings up a list of everyone who has posted and how many times they've posted on said thread. However when you click on the posts made by that person in said thread it only shows posts made since the migration to the Xenforo software.

It's not a big deal, but sometimes when posts are bounced from a long time ago and I see i've posted in them I like to see what I said. It's also a useful tool when looking for a post but you can't remember when it was posted, just who posted it.

Is there an easy way to fix this? I'm guessing the whole board would need re-indexing or something and that could be time consuming and resource hungry so obviously not high up on the priority list.
I've kicked off a rebuild of the search index to see if that resolves it.

It will take a few hours...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Should work now...

Dec 29, 2011
Hi, at what point can we start requesting features to be returned? Having the thread start date on mobile view is certainly very helpful to see if a thread is worth reading (and sorely missed)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Hi, at what point can we start requesting features to be returned? Having the thread start date on mobile view is certainly very helpful to see if a thread is worth reading (and sorely missed)
People can ask, but it doesn't mean it will happen!

Obvious restrictions to any such request are...

- It's not functionality provided by Xenforo
- There are no third party add-ons that provide the requested functionality
- A third party add-on does exist, but it's too costly
- The NSC community are broadly split on whether the request would be beneficial or not

In the case of your request, the mobile view of Xenforo out-of-the-box has been streamlined to take account of the limited screen real estate available and best practice for mobile user interfaces with regard to white space and adequate spacing of elements and controls.

There's no "thread start date on mobile view" option that I've simply turned off and could switch back on again, and from a quick search there is no third party add-on that fulfils that functionality.

However, if you rotate your mobile to landscape, thereby increasing the width available, then thread start date and time is visible. So the workaround would be flick your screen round, select a thread to read and turn your phone back again if you prefer reading a portrait display.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Going through one of the old threads and editing posts to get youtube videos embedded, it appears there is a limit to the number of videos it will embed (at least automatically, I've not tried manually amending the tags). After five videos it stops embedding.

I don't know that this is a common problem necessitating any action, or if you'd prefer the limit to discourage video bombing, but thought I'd highlight it. It still has links when the video doesn't embed so it's not the worst issue in the world. (example - the film 2022 first post: https://www.northstandchat.com/threads/film-2022.392241/)

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Hi @Bozza, just using safari on iPhone, any idea why might be getting this message? Haven’t got any adblockers as far as I know….

8FD9651E-A782-4F24-9AC8-59CC4CD086E7.jpeg

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Was just an example, happens for every embedded tweet
The first tweet I could find was here and it renders fine for me on iPhone/safari.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Are we able to edit our signatures yet? I can't seem to find the setting for it.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
REALLY enjoying the new version - well done Bozza again. :cheers:

Just wondering...is it possible to get the thread name at the bottom of the page as well as the top please? IIRC the old version had this, and I found it very useful. I normally load up the latest comment(s) for multiple threads across a number of tabs, and with the "occasional" thread getting derailed in various directions sometimes it's hard to remember which thread I've just landed in, without scrolling all the way to the top of the screen, then all the way back down again! :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here