Not Rio Grande but Rio BANNED!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nov 3, 2003
"This is ridiculous. If you are stopped by the police and refuse a breath test it is assumed that your are over the limit and you receive a full ban, and rightly so. Getting one quarter of it is a joSke."

SPOT ON

I HOPE HE PLAYS SUNDAY AND THE FANS GIVE HIM LOADS "CHEAT CHEAT CHEAT"

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
southstandandy said:
Typical Man Utd - how did he only get 8 months - he was guilty !

If this was athletics he would have been banned for two years.

Too much influence in football from clubs that think they are above the law for me.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see him playing for England in Euro 2004 - but I think ultimately he got off with too soft a sentence.

And a fine of 5 days wages - get real !

Totally agree, as always Man Ure get preferentual treatment. Ban him for 2 years. In some cases in sunday league footy if you lose your appeal you can get punished more than the ban originally was, lets just hope that happens. Cheating scummer!!

Dez

Jul 5, 2003
Brighton
I think the ban is well over the top. The FA are trying to take a hard line to prove a point. 3 months would have been sufficient.

Failure to take a test = a failed test in every other sport and in drink-driving cases, and should apply in this case. Letting Ferdinand get away with a ban only a third of the length of the mandatory ban for a failed test is disgraceful.

In future, any player called for a random test he thinks he won't pass now knows exactly what to do, i.e. "forget" and take the resulting 8 month ban, instead of testing positive and getting the full 24 month ban.

Typical Premier league "justice". Too scared to take on the the big clubs.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I reckon it will be reduced on appeal. I think the FA wanted to show that they are being 'tough'

I agree it should have been more same as Dennis

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I hope that there is a possibilty of the punishment being INCREASED on appeal. The Man U bandwagon of influence is about to roll, expect them to get the punishment reduced. They should have the threat of an increase or else an appeal is 100% guaranteed.

:angry:

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I have one question which no one could answer yesterday. Can a banned player still recive his wages from the club? Also can he still train with his club?

I would have thought that a ban is a full ban, and as such that person could not be involved with their line of work.

glosterseagull

Oct 2, 2003
He would still be employed by the club and will do all but play footy for club and country.

should be a tougher ban - I think he is guilty of more than forgetting to turn up to the testers.

Keith B Wetherill

Oct 6, 2003
Helsinki,Finland
I think he is VERY lucky,, Be sure he had a skinful the night before and he wouldn't pass a test. It takes 1 hour of drinking water and taking painkillers to wash the system and mask any drug.That is a fact, Who is he kidding,I'm surprised at Ferguson I thought he had some brains.
In any other sport he would get 2 years or even life!!:angry:

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I think FIFA will step in if the ban is reduced on appeal. It will be seen as beneficial to England in EURO 2004 and will not be allowed.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
DISGRACEFUL !

The Football Association unjust and unprecendented action in barring Rio Ferdinand is so disgraceful that the football fans in this country and anybody interested in football should make their views known to avoid the Football Association further attempting to ruin the game in England. Other actions must be looked into. If they can this one completely arse about face, they have probably mucked up a lot of other things as well, e.g. the contribution towards the ultra-expensive Wembley.

Why is it completely wrong. Because it is unprecedented and unjust and contrary to the practice of common law and the whole aspect of English civilised society. It is the most disgraceful decision ever made by the Football Association.

Like if it was a precedent that supporters standing on the seats are ejected from the ground on the first offence, and suddenly a supporter is required to prove in advance that he was not standing on a seat and forgets, and gets an eight month ban, that would be unfair.

Justice comes ahead of external political manouverings, and I expect the lawyers will throw it out. I expect some lawyers in the hearing must a very good idea about this as well.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
PS:

Titanic: it sounds suspicious. I wonder if it was a majority verdict. I expect it could also be read that the Doctor was not in cohoots with Rio over suppressing illegal drug taking.

Not often, but I have forgotten "earners" appointments in similar circumstances, mainly because the reminder came by EMail amongst all the spam and I had a bad cold, but I still forgot all the same.

I think that Beechams Super-duper Max Strength fails the dope test. And it doesn't even work properly!

I expect most of the drugs to improve memory fail the dope text and don't work either.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Zeitgest: it does seem that it is more than an Employment Tribunal. I am not sure how public they are either, but it seems to me it should be in public.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
we don't need him for euro 2004......call up danny cullip!

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
dover97 said:
I have one question which no one could answer yesterday. Can a banned player still recive his wages from the club? Also can he still train with his club?

According to what I heard on the radio yestewrday, he will continue to receive his £70,00 per week wages, even whilst he is not playing!

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Wouldn't it be fun if Man United try to take on Fifa over this, and go to court. They won't beat Fifa, as they'd be thrown out of all competitions in an instant. But it would be fun to see.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports