More Anti Falmer tripe in the Observer!!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
Apoplgies if fixtures (did a search) But did anyone see the article in the Obsever today, about the venues for the 2018 world cup if England get it?

They went on about the usual ones, and then they said that the south coast would be a good place for a stadium,and they mentioned Brighton. But they didnt suggest falmer, oh no, The went on about bloody Shoreham Harbour!!:angry: :angry:

Time to get those E-mails rolling again.
That paper seem to have somethng against us dont they!?!

Can someone post a link please as I dont know how. Ta

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
To be fair I don't read that as anti Falmer propaganda. It seems to be more about locations in general than specifically about where Brighton should have a stadium.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
That's not anti-Falmer. Falmer's not a World Cup venue in our wildest dreams.

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
Was not Was said:
That's not anti-Falmer. Falmer's not a World Cup venue in our wildest dreams.

Not saying it is. Its just that they have a history of printing Anti Falmer/albion stuff. Perhaps it was a bit harsh to label it anti-falmer, but was there any neet to mention shoreham harbour? Thats all im getting at.:)

Last edited:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
"No chance on paper, because of protracted problems over the new stadium, but what a host city this would be. The most famous seaside resort in the world (so they say) and you can walk to the South Downs from the beach. Gay capital of Britain, great nightclubs, loads of hotels, only an hour from London. Shame about the football..."

:tosser:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
That is a speculative piece, and really has nothing to do with us as such. Certainly it is well established that Shoreham Harbour is never going to have a stadium built upon it, and Falmer, when it is built won't have the required capacity for a World Cup venue.

Brighton would, however, be a fantastic location for a World Cup venue, but given the problems we have experienced just trying to get planning permission for a modest sized stadium it just isn't a realistic prospect.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Silent Bob said:
"No chance on paper, because of protracted problems over the new stadium, but what a host city this would be. The most famous seaside resort in the world (so they say) and you can walk to the South Downs from the beach. Gay capital of Britain, great nightclubs, loads of hotels, only an hour from London. Shame about the football..."

:tosser:

Whats wrong with that statement then? The gay capital bit is embarrassing but other than that its all true.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Just before the 1982 World Cup, Northern Ireland prepared for the heat and humidity of Spain by training at Sussex University in what was a ery warm period in the early summer that year.

Several teams during Euro 96 stayed at the most bizarre locations (in terms of tourism anyway) - Wigan, Blackburn etc.

Brighton would never be a host venue, but it could well be a host resort for one of the teams - or even as a warm-up friendlies venue just before the tournament gets under way.

There are any number of ways Brighton could play a part, but that piece, to me, is certainly not anti-Falmer. The writer is, however, particularly ignorant of Shoreham Harbour.

All the Observer article is doing is floating an idea that a World Cup bid needs to be accompanied by some proposals for building new stadiums or extending existing ones.

Shoreham Harbour is identified (probably correctly) as the largest brownfield development site on the south coast.

It would cost a fortune to develop the site - for whatever purpose, because of the difficult transport access requirements (and the need to reclaim the harbour itself from the sea). That's why it's unaffordable for the Albion.

But if hundreds of millions of pounds of outside money was to be poured in, the site could be made to work.

The real issue raised by the article is whether an English World Cup bid justifies billions of pounds worth of investment to spread the venues round the country. If the answer is yes, we might get the World Cup in 2018. If the answer is no, then it will probably go somewhere else - or if it comes to England, it will be confined to venues in London, the North and the Midlands (just like 1966).

Last edited:

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
There was Olympic football at the Goldstone in 1948, wasn't there? (Afghanistan against Venezuela or somesuch)

It would be good if one of the less significant games in 2012 was at Falmer.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
The gay capital bit is embarrassing but other than that its all true. [/B]

Why?

I'm not embarrassed by it. In fact, I'm proud of it.

It's one of the things that sets us apart from no-mark cities like Croydon.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Crap. If anybody has been down to Shoreham Harbour recently, there is no room for the good imported. The wood piles are jammed all along the quays.

What is happening is the Sussex (mostly Lewes) amenity groups are getting together and putting forward this notion. However, they have bumped into resistance from similiarly inclined amenity groups in Southwick and Shoreham who see the harbour as a going concern and part of the local livelihood.

Lewes can get stuffed!

There is only one place big enough for a World Cup stadium near Brighton.

William Chops

Feb 3, 2007
Statto said:
Apoplgies if fixtures (did a search) But did anyone see the article in the Obsever today, about the venues for the 2018 world cup if England get it?

They went on about the usual ones, and then they said that the south coast would be a good place for a stadium,and they mentioned Brighton. But they didnt suggest falmer, oh no, The went on about bloody Shoreham Harbour!!:angry: :angry:

Time to get those E-mails rolling again.
That paper seem to have somethng against us dont they!?!

Can someone post a link please as I dont know how. Ta

I see your response a more anti-Falmer paranoia. I'm sure The Observer would just love a load of emails from twitchy knee-jerk fools like you.

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
Re: Re: More Anti Falmer tripe in the Observer!!

William Chops said:
twitchy knee-jerk fools like you.

???

So im the only one then?
Just Pointing out that a national paper seems to print a lot of negative things about our beloved club.

I bet they loved the e-mails regarding he bias West Ham report. Knee jerk reactions?

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
perseus said:

There is only one place big enough for a World Cup stadium near Brighton.

Yes, Newhaven docks. :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports