[Albion] Mohammed Kudus **Signed For West Ham 27/08**

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Well considering PSV finished 2nd, 6 points ahead of Ajax, yes you should add PSV!

Ajax have not had a great season at all, they’re in a bit of a mess by their usual standards but Kudus has been one of their bright sparks. I like him and would be very happy if we did sign him, I’m surprised by the negativity on here. The dutch league thing is a but lazy, there have been lots of quality players to come out of there in recent years.

Interestingly, his career started the same way as Simon Adingra’s - from the Right to Dream academy in Africa to their Danish club Nordsjaelland.
Take your word for it re the player.

But the Dutch league thing, not lazy for me, some make it in the PL, but many don’t.

Veltman has flourished, but for every Veltman there 3 or 4 Locadia’s and AJ’s.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008

But the Dutch league thing, not lazy for me, some make it in the PL, but many don’t.

I know what you mean but we’re shopping in a very different market now compared to when we signed Locadia and AJ. As a result, the risk of a repeat outcome is minimal.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
As far as l am aware, any problems appear to be on Chris's side, not the club's.
Of course they are not on the side of the Club. Why would it be. They weren't the ones hurt by how it ended. They got everything they wanted. The Club under CH went from a rn almost relegated Championship side to a team who had survived in the PL for 2 years within his 4 year period tenure. The club has no grievance whatsoever.

But many years have passed Chris is well over it all too. Doesn't mean to say he doesn't still doesn't remember how hurt he was at the time.

I'm sure he wouldn't have any issues going back now. We haven't discussed it for a long time. He ain't the type of person that holds grudges. He has a very positive outlook on most things.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Of course they are not on the side of the Club. Why would it be. They weren't the ones hurt by how it ended. They got everything they wanted. The Club under CH went from a rn almost relegated Championship side to a team who had survived in the PL for 2 years within his 4 year period tenure. The club has no grievance whatsoever.

But many years have passed Chris is well over it all too. Doesn't mean to say he doesn't still doesn't remember how hurt he was at the time.

I'm sure he wouldn't have any issues going back now. We haven't discussed it for a long time. He ain't the type of person that holds grudges. He has a very positive outlook on most things.

Really pleased to hear that and would love to seem him back at the Amex. He would get a brilliant reception :thumbsup:

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there

These are good people!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

As with signings from any league, there have been some great, some middling and some flops. Brighton fans' views are coloured by the fact that we've had more than our fair share of the latter. https://sqaf.club/dutch-eredivisie-players-who-moved-english-premier-league-transfers/

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I know what you mean but we’re shopping in a very different market now compared to when we signed Locadia and AJ. As a result, the risk of a repeat outcome is minimal.
Yes, but the point is Dutch players do not easily convert to the PL, regardless of fees. Of course there are exceptions, but just be a player is prolific in the Dutch league there is no guarantee he’ll make it at what is a faster, more intense league.

Depay, Klaasen, de Beek, Jansen, Sanchez…. That’s without thinking too hard.
Haller.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
As with signings from any league, there have been some great, some middling and some flops. Brighton fans' views are coloured by the fact that we've had more than our fair share of the latter. https://sqaf.club/dutch-eredivisie-players-who-moved-english-premier-league-transfers/
To be honest, looking at the list, I think you’ve proved my point 😃. I really think few of those have had a significant impact.

I’m not saying they are bad players, Depay has done well post Utd, but the PL is a significant step up, particularly pace wise and physicality.

Of course, there are Suarez, Stam, Eriksen, but some of the others go elsewhere first. Van Dijk, ?Bergkamp.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Yes, but the point is Dutch players do not easily convert to the PL, regardless of fees. Of course there are exceptions, but just be a player is prolific in the Dutch league there is no guarantee he’ll make it at what is a faster, more intense league.

Depay, Klaasen, de Beek, Jansen, Sanchez…. That’s without thinking too hard.
Haller.
Van Nistelrooy, Suarez, Erikson, Wijnaldam

Of course you are right… there have been many more flops than successes so it’s important to judge on what they do outside the Dutch league. Kudus has looked decent internationally so I think that puts him above Ali J and big Jurgs but any player from any league outside the PL is a risk because it’s such a different league and some players can adapt and some can’t.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Good.

Excellent manager, and whilst people moaning about the defensive approach etc… The fact is, it worked, and given the playing personnel, was very necessary and we would not be where we are now, had we not survived those first two difficult years.

I enjoyed it! There you go @Icy Gull 😉😃. Clever defensive schemes, reducing space, brilliant tactically….

Potter also did well, but it took him time and RdZ is just wonderful.

Last edited:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
To be honest, looking at the list, I think you’ve proved my point 😃. I really think few of those have had a significant impact.

I’m not saying they are bad players, Depay has done well post Utd, but the PL is a significant step up, particularly pace wise and physicality.

Of course, there are Suarez, Stam, Eriksen, but some of the others go elsewhere first. Van Dijk, ?Bergkamp.
I don't always think a successful depends on that individual solely. A club can sign an absolute super player but if they don't get other signings or recruitment correct around the same time then that one major talisman signing could potentially fail as well. You see that with players like Paul Pogba and Romelu Lukaku. They have thrived in some teams but not in others

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Van Nistelrooy, Suarez, Erikson, Wijnaldam

Of course you are right… there have been many more flops than successes so it’s important to judge on what they do outside the Dutch league. Kudus has looked decent internationally so I think that puts him above Ali J and big Jurgs but any player from any league outside the PL is a risk because it’s such a different league and some players can adapt and some can’t.
Yes - picked some of those up in the subsequent post, and Van Nistelrooy, definitely. Wijnaldam?

No idea re Kudus, but I know @Farehamseagull usually has a good take on most players, so would go with his thoughts.

But re Dutch league vs other leagues, the standard is better and more competitive elsewhere, I even prefer the Belgium league from a competitiveness standpoint. But Germany, Italy, Spain even France all better IMO, but equally no guarantee of success…..

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I don't always think a successful depends on that individual solely. A club can sign an absolute super player but if they don't get other signings or recruitment correct around the same time then that one major talisman signing could potentially fail as well. You see that with players like Paul Pogba and Romelu Lukaku. They have thrived in some teams but not in others
Perhaps because both of the examples cited are not as good in a faster, more intense environment. (I think they are both overrated as well, having watched them).

I take your point though, and you buy a player for the system, not design the system around the player.

Edit - BTW @NooBHA glad you’re still popping on NSC.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Perhaps because both of the examples cited are not as good in a faster, more intense environment. (I think they are both overrated as well, having watched them).

I take your point though, and you buy a player for the system, not design the system around the player.
Pascal Gross isn't exactly blessed with lightning pace but every manager he has played under at Brighton seems to always have rated him highly and played him under 3 different types of systems. There will always be plenty players like him who bring more to a team than natural ability. Timmy Cahill was the perfect example of such a player.

Back to Kudus. He is a decent player and will get better as he gets older but he isn't someone who will be a 7/10 every week.

He is more of a 4/10 one week and a 9/10 another week

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Pascal Gross isn't exactly blessed with lightning pace but every manager he has played under at Brighton seems to always have rated him highly and played him under 3 different types of systems. There will always be plenty players like him who bring more to a team than natural ability. Timmy Cahill was the perfect example of such a player.

Back to Kudus. He is a decent player and will get better as he gets older but he isn't someone who will be a 7/10 every week.

Gross has football intelligence though, as does Veltman who also isn’t quick.

re Kudus, thanks, I think we need our players to be steady 7’s these days, with 8’s thrown in.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...

which is what we need a little bit, i think. we’ve got loads of ‘steady eddies’ who give us 7/10 each week. that’s the spine of the team right there. what players like kudus give us is the ability to offer that bit of something extra when we need to break a delicately poised game, which is what we missed at times last season i feel, especially at wembley

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports