Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kieran McKenna

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Steal a manager from another team immediately after he got them back to back promotions? I really hope we don't go down that route, I'd like to think we're better than that.
It wouldn't sit well with me although I don't think that a close season move for another manager is the same as what Chelsea did to us.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I've no particularly strong feelings either way around McKenna: the only thing I'll say is this.

Currently, you'd imagine we have the ability to pay higher wages than Ipswich, thanks to seven years in the PL. If he stays at Portman Road, he'd likely get a pay rise, but probably not as much as we'd offer unless they're really prepared to put their financial security at risk. There's a reasonable chance he gets fired later next season if Ipswich- as most would predict- struggle. Clubs like Norwich, Leeds and others have all sacked managers who heroically got them promoted. If he gets sacked, he gets paid off on Ipswich wages, and his stock falls like Kompany's has. The future opportunities look less certain. Football managers generally have short careers, and they have to make the most of it while their value is high (as do players) .

If he moves to here (or United, or Chelsea, say), he immediately gets a hefty pay rise. Even if he then gets fired months later, he's on a far bigger pay-off than he would have been at Ipswich, and will still have high enough currency to get another job soon enough. It may not come down to loyalty, so much as pragmatism and what Mrs McKenna tells him to do.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I've no particularly strong feelings either way around McKenna: the only thing I'll say is this.

Currently, you'd imagine we have the ability to pay higher wages than Ipswich, thanks to seven years in the PL. If he stays at Portman Road, he'd likely get a pay rise, but probably not as much as we'd offer unless they're really prepared to put their financial security at risk. There's a reasonable chance he gets fired later next season if Ipswich- as most would predict- struggle. Clubs like Norwich, Leeds and others have all sacked managers who heroically got them promoted. If he gets sacked, he gets paid off on Ipswich wages, and his stock falls like Kompany's has. The future opportunities look less certain. Football managers generally have short careers, and they have to make the most of it while their value is high (as do players) .

If he moves to here (or United, or Chelsea, say), he immediately gets a hefty pay rise. Even if he then gets fired months later, he's on a far bigger pay-off than he would have been at Ipswich, and will still have high enough currency to get another job soon enough. It may not come down to loyalty, so much as pragmatism and what Mrs McKenna tells him to do.
That last statement is outrageous in this days and age. How can you say it’s what Mrs…yep, you’re right. Same in this household :)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

If Ipswich struggle, it won't be unexpected, and he will still be the bright young manager that got them promoted. Championship clubs would be queuing up.

If he comes to Brighton and we struggle, because the expectations are higher (because of our achievements in the last couple of seasons), he could effectively end his career.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
That last statement is outrageous in this days and age. How can you say it’s what Mrs…yep, you’re right. Same in this household :)
Maybe "suggests" would have been better than "tells him what to do" :)

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If Ipswich struggle, it won't be unexpected, and he will still be the bright young manager that got them promoted. Championship clubs would be queuing up.

If he comes to Brighton and we struggle, because the expectations are higher (because of our achievements in the last couple of seasons), he could effectively end his career.
Nah, every promoted manager gets at least one second chance. Championship clubs would still be keen on him in future. Look at Hughton getting other jobs after being sacked by us. Every club in the Championship would take Potter given the necessary funds right now. Hell, several of them looked at Jesse Marsch despite getting almost relegated with The Leeds United.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I really don't see Rob Edwards being on the list. Not because Luton went straight back down- anyone could have predicted that would have happened- but because their style of football is more direct than we're used to, and whoever gets the job would have to work with the existing squad, who are used to playing in a certain way.

It's why you don't see the name Thomas Frank on the list either.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Nah, every promoted manager gets at least one second chance. Championship clubs would still be keen on him in future. Look at Hughton getting other jobs after being sacked by us. Every club in the Championship would take Potter given the necessary funds right now. Hell, several of them looked at Jesse Marsch despite getting almost relegated with The Leeds United.
There are, after all, only so many managers around.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Fair argument. Don't agree though. Did Jesse Marsch get Leeds promoted? - I thought that was the genius that was Bielsa who should have been allowed to lead his glorious team to the Champions League? (if only they hadn't been cruelly forced to sell Ben White to a team whose supporters had never heard of him!)

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I am certain Kieran McKenna would absolutely love the Brighton job - everything here is absolutely perfect for him, it would be a dream - and he probably knows that he should do it, because if he doesn't someone else will get it and probably run with it. Ipswich will be in a relegation battle, and a tricky one. But how can he leave Ipswich now? He must wish with every fibre that the Brighton job was coming up in a years time, or that Ipswich had just missed out on promotion, or that he'd been told no money for any new transfers, or some other scenario where he could take the Brighton job.

But he will probably find he has no moral choice to make but to stay at Ipswich.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I would expect him to want to continue at Ipswich. He’s devoted a lot of time and effort to getting them to the Prem, why would he want to leave now, just as he's stepping through those big golden gates?
I don't doubt his effort but 2 and a half years isn't "a lot of time".

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I’ll do anything for my club ;)
Doesn't look like a hardship to me !

1716096256580.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here