Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Joel Veltman signs from Ajax in a 3-year deal

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
As a generalization I like the Dutch, but I do find they can be alarmingly forthright

Definitely. I like it, but sometimes when I'm in company with both Swedish and Dutch people there are Swedes that cant take it, making everything a little bit awkward.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Definitely. I like it, but sometimes when I'm in company with both Swedish and Dutch people there are Swedes that cant take it, making everything a little bit awkward.

Try being in the company of Dutch people in parts of middle class England where saying what you actually think is essentially a foreign language.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Except for the brick wall next to him! :rave:

As [MENTION=21239]Originunknown[/MENTION] says we've definitely got our monies worth.

Got to be one of the modern era Premier League's best bargains.

Right up there with...

I

... Groß

I'd say at least as hard as the brick wall. Just slicker & less fuss. Quietly absolutely ruthless

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
From Andy Naylor in The Athletic:

"Brighton’s shortage of central defenders has been compounded by Joel Veltman pulling up with suspected hamstring damage near the end of 11 minutes of stoppage time, arising from problems with the VAR communication equipment for referee Tony Harrington on his Premier League debut."

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
From Andy Naylor in The Athletic:

"Brighton’s shortage of central defenders has been compounded by Joel Veltman pulling up with suspected hamstring damage near the end of 11 minutes of stoppage time, arising from problems with the VAR communication equipment for referee Tony Harrington on his Premier League debut."

Weird way to pull your hamstring

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Disaster if he's inured. The idea of playing a number of games with a back two of Duffy and Burn fills me with dread.

GP said there was a small chance Webster could be back for the weekend... meaning I suppose there is a decent chance he'll be back for Brentford.

Agree that centre back pairing is not exactly the dream scenario.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Not been too impressed with JV recently. He's a decent defender but, like Duffy, can't pass for sh1t. I lost count at the number of times he's given the ball away recently. I almost expect him to pull off a decent tackle and then give the ball back.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Not been too impressed with JV recently. He's a decent defender but, like Duffy, can't pass for sh1t. I lost count at the number of times he's given the ball away recently. I almost expect him to pull off a decent tackle and then give the ball back.

its difficult to pass the ball well when you look up and see nothing to hit.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Disaster if he's inured. The idea of playing a number of games with a back two of Duffy and Burn fills me with dread.

If it goes ahead, there's the possibility of a back three of Burn, Webster and Duffy against Brentford. That's decent. There's even the possibility of leaving one out.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Veltman was more reliable than Burn last night who gave the ball away at least 3 times when playing out from the back

Oh agreed. Webster and Dunk are our best passing CBs (although they've got different qualities), followed by Veltman, then followed by either Duffy or Burn -- on recent evidence it's Duffy, with Burn propping up the rear.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
He was runner up to my least shit player of the match last night.

We need him out like a pineapple up the aris.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think the point he's trying to make is that when players end up standing around for long periods in the middle of a match, it tends to make muscle injuries more common.

You're very generous trueblue. He could have made that point but, instead, Naylor's command of English and logic conjoined two disconnected points.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here