It's National Falmer Day - Post Your Stories HERE

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Wow, a fantastic effort from everyone. Tremendous to read about everyones adventures yesterday - and a lot of credit to Lush & Co for heading into enemy territority!!

I really enjoyed my trip down to Crawley, although as I was sat in the grandstand I was unable to mingle with the large Albion contingent who were diagonally across the pitch from me as I'd hoped!!

The PA gave us a nice mention before the game, and I understand that there was a piece in the programme (sold out by the time I got there).

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
Brilliant work everyone. Couldn't make it to Cambridge but hopefully Hilton's friend made it. I will try to get people to sign the postcards thing at the school I work at, 400+ kids taking home leaflets next week, will hopefully make up for not being able to attend yesterday.

Well done everyone!!!

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Such a wicked day.

Got loads of leaflets handed out and letters signed at Crawley. The majority of fans were fantastic (no pun intended!) and Weymouth were especially sympathetic to the cause as they are also having difficulties with planning permission for a new ground.

A boring first half but a great second and a brilliant result for the reds.

Got photos taken with Danny Marney and Robbie Pethick(who didn't know how to spell football genius!).

Got back in time to get to the Bears game where Braders, John and Sam(?) were doing a great job handing out leaflets. We handed a few out before getting pictures taken with Charlie Oatway and Kerry Mayo.

Then went out on the lash and handed more leaflets out to drunkards! Have so many brilliant photos that Poke will upload later.

Bumped into Mendoza 10, had a pizza (I think) and seem to have a distinct lack of memory from about 1am!

Got a great(?!) pic of Rougvie's bottom, taken just after he had attempted to single handedly take on a doorway full of bouncers!

I love being an Albion fan

Last edited:

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
Fantastic day out, fatboy has put most points down of yesterday, really enjoyed yesterday, at the bears was so funny, they were singing go bears go, just that chant all through the game so we all sung albion songs and the southern fm dj that was there mentioned about falmer a few times! poke has got some brillaint pictures and i can't wait to see them better as the display is abit small on there, what a great night in the walkabout! :clap2: :clap2: i was told everyone was going to albion kebab's after but couldn't find them so i walked home with dover and he told me a few intressting facts about brighton that i never new like the 3 cannon's at brighton station!

marvous sences yesterday :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Just back home from Bury. I caught the 8.50 flight from Gatwick to Manchester on Saturday morning. Earlier I'd somehow managed the Houdini-isk task of folding the "we want Falmer" banner into a rucksuck. As I was putting my bag into the luggage rack onboard, to my horror the banner started to unravel. :eek: A piece of quick improvisation got the banner folded again, despite holding up other passengers trying to board and getting an old fashioned look from the Purser! On arrival at Manchester I was collected by the mole, where we were soon on our way to Gigg lane to meet up with padders and Lucifer. We met Gordon the Bury press officer outside. True to his word, he'd got a piece in the programme about Falmer, plus he'd arranged for us to take the banner on the pitch at half time. We entered he Bury social club. The omens weren't initially good. The doorman looking puzzled at our shirts and asking the question.."Are you Leyton Orient fans?" :eek: :ohmy: After explaining what we were about, he asked us to move to another bar at the side as the one we had entered was "members only". He relented and allowed us to leaflet the members bar though. We were joined by three Bury supporting friends of mine and the task of collecting signatures and leafleting began in Earnest. The respose from the fans was nothing short of fantastic, many of them familiar with the history of the Falmer saga. Even the Orient fans in the clubhouse were willing to sign. Only one Orient fan refused to sign as his daughter lives in Falmer. After a Falmer plug at half time by the PA man, we went on a lap of Gigg Lane with the banner. The response from The Bury fans: fantastic. The response from many Orient fans: Predictable:dunce: :yawn: All in all, a fantastic day with many letters signed and signatures collected for the postcards. Funiest moments of the day. The de-selected Labour councillor who bent Lucifers ear for a lengthy time re John Prescott, and my encounter with the most gormless steward in the World, who could easily be typecast for a role in "The Royle family"!

Oh yes, there was a game of football....A dull affair of few chances ended 1-1. Bury taking the lead midway through the second half with a goal by.....someone?? Orient equalised with a header from Reading reject John Mackie, who only minutes earlier was fortunate to stay on the field. The evening was spent in one of Bury's dodgiest boozers. Cabaret was provided by an arguing couple, which climaxed with "her" flouncing out the pub, leaving "him" to drown his sorrows.

She left without even signing one of my letters! :ohmy:

Last edited:

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
Surely the Argus MUST do something BIG on this - tomorrow should have a NFD pull out, with stories
and piccies from All the grounds visited. Does anyone know someone at the Argus to get this off the ground?

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
Email to the editor of the Argus:

Simon,

Not sure if you're aware, but intrepid Brighton fans roved the country yesterday, attending most Football League games (and others) to campaign for Falmer. Myself, I went to Swindon v Brentford, and (in line with feedback from everywhere else) was VERY well received. The fans' web site NorthStandChat has many fantastic tales, and the positive support from all around the country (from Torquay to Berwick) is simply humbling. The people of Sussex should be proud to know that they have the most universally-loved football club in the land in their midst.

National Falmer Day is a wonderful, heart-warming, and unique story - I would urge the Argus to give it the MASSIVE coverage that it deserves.

Cheers, Jim

delias love child

Nov 24, 2003
one division above you
Hello all. This is just a quick message to say well done from all Norwich fans for your presence at Carrow Road today. I went along with Safeway and helped him give out leaflets and spread the word about Falmer. Unfortunately there was nothing in the matchday program, but we still managed to enlighten a few people.

Cracking day all round, especially with the Yellow Army stomping to a brilliant 3-1 win over the scum.

Premier League, and having a laugh! :flameboun

Locky

Oct 2, 2003
Brighton
As for Twickenham, well what can I say...............The Rugby lot are so different from us that follow the BETTER sport of chasing a more sensibly curved ball.
They seem to be mainly flat cap wearing middle aged people who really do look down there noses when it comes to football. (In short they are a different breed)
We stood proudly on the East terrace wearing our Albion shirts, with a few fans looking quite bemused and obviously wondering why 2 football fans were at a Rugby match.
One guy I spoke to knew all about our plight as he came from Hove, and was quite supportive but in general they didn't give a f**k.
In their defence they really do know how to enjoy themselves, and the drinking after/before the game is something to behold.
As we walked from the station there was people selling hotdogs etc from their front gardens. We could learn a few things from Rugby fans.

I must say though that standing in a Stadium with 75,000 people was breath taking and this was a day I will never forget, even if England did lose.
I informed the people standing near us that I am a Jonah and if they didn't write to Prescott I would be attending the next home match England v Wales
:lolol:

Whether we get any response from the leaflets handed out remains to be seen.

Locky

Oct 2, 2003
Brighton
Flat caps :lolol:

Attachments

• god save the queen.jpg
    god save the queen.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 639

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
samparish said:
Great work everyone, shame I couldn't go anywhere because of work:( . However I did go to the Brighton Bears game as I also work for them, braders & co made a great deal of noise:clap: :clap:
:clap:

poke

Oct 19, 2003
was a realyl good day, well done everyone.

i managed to hand out about 400 leaflets at crawley and get some signatures. most poople were friendly although i did get told to stick my leaflets up my arse. alot of people also said i dont support brighton or i'm not going to help them.
Arrived late at the bears so didn't manage to give any leaflets out but braders was doing a good job.
Gave out our last few in the walkabout.

highlight of my day was seeing the players especially danny marney :love:

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
poke said:

Arrived late at the bears so didn't manage to give any leaflets out but braders was doing a good job.

:blush:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports