Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How long before TB sells out?

Lots in the Press recently about new investors looking for Foorball Clubs.

No doubting that when we make it to the Premiership (this year or soon), we would be of interest to foreign investors.

Privately-owned with essentially only one shareholder, nice shiney stadium, close to Gatwick. If TB was so minded, I reckon he could make a tidy return on his initial investment/gamble.

Of course, it is doubtful the Council would allow the site to be turned into a retail park, so a new investor would need to keep the club going.

Would it be such a bad thing?

???

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011
You're making the mistake of using the word "investor." People can't "invest" in football and hope to get their money back, let alone make more. All they can do is throw more and more money at a club. And the "riches" of the Premier League that everyone harks on about are irrelevant - because he increase in wages needed to stay in the PL are more than the increase in income, so any "investor" still needs to throw money at the club just to stand still.

The only exception to the above rule that you can't make money from football are people who owned a football club long ago and sold shares when it floated (e.g. David Dien, or Martin Edwards) or those who bought a crappy, lower league team, built it up and then sold it (e.g. John Madejski). Apart from that, the only way to make a small fortune from owning a football club is to start with a large fortune.

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom
But if someone offered silly money and a guarantee of protecting the heritage, why not?

I stand by what I said, its NOT going to happen, IF TB wasnt here for the long run he wouldnt of built the stadium out of his back pocket, spent more money on players than ever before in our history, nor plan to build a state of the art training gorund and youth accademy fpr the future of this club.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
He is an unusual character is Tony Bloom, a life-long fan and with serious money.

Quite often many fans do not appreciate the significance of this

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
TB will not sell up, sure I've read somewhere that he said it will be passed to his children/grandchildren in the future.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
No one is going to invest £100m+ in anything without having an exit strategy. So to say never is a bit naive.

However only he will know what that strategy is and for all we know it could be that it's to leave a legacy for his son to take over. Or it could be to get us to the prem and flog us, but somehow I doubt that.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Never, As stated TB has put his personal fortune into the Albion and is life long fan, also I was under the impression the way the Club is set up we would'nt have one controling party owning it so as not to get into the farce we went through with Archer and Bellotti

The only exception to the above rule that you can't make money from football are people who owned a football club long ago and sold shares when it floated (e.g. David Dien, or Martin Edwards) or those who bought a crappy, lower league team, built it up and then sold it (e.g. John Madejski). Apart from that, the only way to make a small fortune from owning a football club is to start with a large fortune.

What is the difference between Reading, who moved from a crappy old shed to a purpose-built stadium, and Brighton, who din't even have the shed and were in the lower leagues when TB got involved?

I was under the impression the way the Club is set up we would'nt have one controling party owning it so as not to get into the farce we went through with Archer and Bellotti
That was chucked out of the window when Tony Bloom became chairman.

It may be, though, that the City Council - as freeholder of the land that the stadium sits on - would be in a position to resist a sale of the site to a developer.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
No one is going to invest £100m+ in anything without having an exit strategy. So to say never is a bit naive.

This.

Let me assure you 100% that TB does indeed have an exit strategy. That is the way it works. That exit strategy will be put in place in the event that something goes badly wrong with his other businesses or if he went bankrupt

That doesn't mean he has anything other than completely honourable intent, but as we have seen over the past few years, anything can happen in business.

This.

Let me assure you 100% that TB does indeed have an exit strategy. That is the way it works. That exit strategy will be put in place in the event that something goes badly wrong with his other businesses or if he went bankrupt

That doesn't mean he has anything other than completely honourable intent, but as we have seen over the past few years, anything can happen in business.

If something goes very badly wrong with his other businesses, I doubt if the cash he's already spent on the Albion would be easily converted into a pot to rescue the other businesses.

If something goes very badly wrong with his other businesses, I doubt if the cash he's already spent on the Albion would be easily converted into a pot to rescue the other businesses.

His loan to the CLub for the stadium would perhaps be viewed as collateral to support other businesses. If other businesses start to run short of cash, then the best way of achieving liquidity would be a fire sale of the Club.Don't think many Banks would lend on Clubs these days, so would probably be a foreign investor.

I am happy to accept TB is a lifelong fan (as are many people on NSC) and would want guarantees about the future of the Club, but it doesn't necessarily mean that he has to own it.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
What is the difference between Reading, who moved from a crappy old shed to a purpose-built stadium, and Brighton, who din't even have the shed and were in the lower leagues when TB got involved?

Answer: the owner being a lifelong fan.

What do I win?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I don't think we have anything to worry about any time soon. But nothing in life is forever, all things come to an end. Not for many years yet though.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill

Agreed, but if we get to the Premiership TB's BHAFC share holding could potentially be worth a fortune. I am not suggesting for one moment that he would sell willingly, but IF his other businesses went tits up, he MAY be forced to sell out whether he wants to or not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here