Help with starting up a website

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

John Boy

Paul McShane
Aug 15, 2004
'ove actually
I've had a look on Google, and there seems to be a lot of options to start up a website. I have been given a modest budget, so I don't have to go with the cheapest one, but I was wondering if anyone from here has had any experience with setting one up.

The main criteria is this- I want to register an address and I want to be able to edit the content on a regular basis.

It would also be ideal if it was easy for me to customise- there is a group logo which I would like to have on the site

Any help would be great, cheers!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
There are several ways of building a website. Unless you are a coding genius, the main ones for you:

1) Design one using desktop software such as Dreamweaver. Then upload the files onto some webspace.
Pros: Potentially much more control over look and feel.
Cons: You have to learn the software, which can be complicated. Dreamweaver is expensive. Lacks the interactivity of a content management system

(for Seagulls TV - Relive the Glory Years of 1976-83, I use Rapidweaver for Mac OS X)

2) Install a content management system such as Joomla and installing a template. Then tweak the look and feel of the template to fit that of your group.
Pros: Installing many CMSs (apart from Movable Type) is relatively easy if you use Fantastico. Lots of templates to choose and tweak, lots of plugins to enhance interactivity. A CMS enables you to have a login system where members can update the content of the site from any computer or phone with internet - great for collaborative content-creation.
Cons: Can be complicated to learn too. Finding and tweaking plugins and templates can take a long time - and may mean you end up editing a lot of HTML code or style sheets. Updating a CMS in the light of security updates can be also nail-biting stuff.

(if using a CMS, I'd recommend hosting by Web Hosting by SiteGround: Reliable servers & easy-to-use tools as it's geared to that kind of website creation)

3) Sign up for a service such as Typepad, where the web software is run on the web space of the company behind the software. Buy a domain name through this company and point it to the address.
Pros: No worries about keeping the software up to date, as the company behind it will do this. A possible ready-made community for your site in the shape of other users of the service. A login system where members can update the content of the site from any computer or phone with internet.
Cons: The constraints of an online web builder are much more apparent.

(see Blogging Software, Business Blogs Blog Services at TypePad.com)

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
On the same topic can anyone recommend a decent hosting company? I am looking for somewhere where I can start off with a low usage agreement but be able to monitor the amount of bandwidth that is being used so that when I start getting towards the limit I can increase the package. Somewhere where the also throw in a domain name would be good.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
On the same topic can anyone recommend a decent hosting company? I am looking for somewhere where I can start off with a low usage agreement but be able to monitor the amount of bandwidth that is being used so that when I start getting towards the limit I can increase the package. Somewhere where the also throw in a domain name would be good.

I've found One and One to be very good, with a cheap start-up package that can be added to or upgraded as you need it.

http://oneandone.co.uk/xml/init?k_id=6130187

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I've had a look on Google, and there seems to be a lot of options to start up a website. I have been given a modest budget, so I don't have to go with the cheapest one, but I was wondering if anyone from here has had any experience with setting one up.

The main criteria is this- I want to register an address and I want to be able to edit the content on a regular basis.

It would also be ideal if it was easy for me to customise- there is a group logo which I would like to have on the site

Any help would be great, cheers!

The first question is, how much do you want to do yourself ? It isn't difficult to setup a website, but it will obviously be a lot less hassle to get someone experienced to do it, rather than doing it yourself.

If you want to do it yourself, I would recommend either Joomla or Wordpress. Both these are free to use and are easy to install using a script that usually is provided by the hosting company. Both these you can edit the content via your web browser, without needing to know Html or worrying about FTP. Wordpress is probably better for a complete newbie.

If you want to know more, PM me!

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Dont have any PMs !

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Another suggestion for oneandone, never been a problem

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I used Lycos to host mine but they were not that good and when they went pear shaped I went over to Strato the change over went very smoothly considering I am not that good with things IT
and I built my website using Netscape and a paperback on how to do just that and it must have been simple as I had only had the PC for a few months

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports