Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] HELP SAVE THE PRINCE ALBERT!!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Drunk a lot of beer there over the years and spent a couple of summer's in the '80's teaching English to Italian students for Tjaereborg school.
Signed.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Pretty sure something very similar indeed was seen off last year. We had a big thread about it. Is this the same developer come back to have another go?

*EDIT* Here's the thread from last year

Think same owner, however looking at the planning officer’s report, it’s recommended for approval but the flats have been removed, so not sure what the latest angle of concern is!

Petition looks to have come from The Albert itself though, so that’s good enough for me.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Signed.

An occasional pre match venue and the place where I first met @Herr Tubthumper

I think I gave him a ciggie or maybe it was a light or maybe the other way round. All I know is I was on the wrong end of their draft Jaipur so memory is a bit hazy.

We were both training for marathons at the time :eek:

Seen a few bands there too. This sort of thing needs to continue!

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Think same owner, however looking at the planning officer’s report, it’s recommended for approval but the flats have been removed, so not sure what the latest angle of concern is!

Petition looks to have come from The Albert itself though, so that’s good enough for me.
Think this is the concern from one of the main people fighting the planning app:

“This does not remove that option to change these Class E commercial units into residential units.

Under new government planning laws the “commercial unit” owners will not need planning permission from the council to “convert” them once planning permission is granted. As I understand it, this can be done even before they start to build the commercial units.

Without a planning permission requirement there will be no need soundproof the “commercial units” nor the residential homes they become.

Due to (what I consider a loophole in) the Environment Act, any new residents will then be able make a noise complaint to the council and the council then legally bound to serve a noise abatement notices on The Prince Albert. That will result in its closure.

Let’s be honest here, the retail lease market is not in a healthy state. The location is 30 seconds from the train station. They wont be able to resist “converting” them into residential flats for London commuters (and make a killing in the process).”

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Think this is the concern from one of the main people fighting the planning app:

“This does not remove that option to change these Class E commercial units into residential units.

Under new government planning laws the “commercial unit” owners will not need planning permission from the council to “convert” them once planning permission is granted. As I understand it, this can be done even before they start to build the commercial units.

Without a planning permission requirement there will be no need soundproof the “commercial units” nor the residential homes they become.

Due to (what I consider a loophole in) the Environment Act, any new residents will then be able make a noise complaint to the council and the council then legally bound to serve a noise abatement notices on The Prince Albert. That will result in its closure.

Let’s be honest here, the retail lease market is not in a healthy state. The location is 30 seconds from the train station. They wont be able to resist “converting” them into residential flats for London commuters (and make a killing in the process).”
f*** sake why are there so many cnts in the world? 😫

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Signed.

Played there once, seen countless bands there and my last two offices have been within stumbling distance so it's somewhere I've spent a lot of time over the years.

I was hacked off the last time they tried to dismantle the place and I'm no less hacked off now.

Hands off our institutions you f***ing parasitic f***ing goblins.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Signed.

An occasional pre match venue and the place where I first met @Herr Tubthumper

I think I gave him a ciggie or maybe it was a light or maybe the other way round. All I know is I was on the wrong end of their draft Jaipur so memory is a bit hazy.

We were both training for marathons at the time :eek:

Seen a few bands there too. This sort of thing needs to continue!
No one around us seemed convinced when we got into marathon talk…with Marlboros and pints of Jaipur in hand :lolol:

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
“It is these smaller spaces that provide performance and social spaces for rising acts. They feed into an area’s ‘local character’ - it’s musical history. - in a way that make them difficult to replace. This social aspect of independent venues, along with the relationships that derive from it, is the seed-bed from which a town or city’s musical reputation grows”

Couldn’t have put it better myself…

…except ….just to say that the many a good piss up over the years, whilst listening to some pretty damn fine live music in the local boozers, helped make me the washed up, happy has been that I am today …Of course I signed! 😎

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Was in there for the Ajax game. Had a good pint of long man. Reasonable price to for Brighton.

Last edited:

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
We saved the Duke of Wellington in Shoreham and we must save the Albert. It is the absolute hub of the independent music scene in Brighton. I have seen this happen in so many places in my 43 years as a poet and musician and it is disgusting: in response, over the last few years a big campaign has been launched to safeguard venues and I'm a bit puzzled in the sense that under the Agent of Change principle recently adopted by the government developers who seek to build near existing existing music venues are responsible for any soundproofing or other mitigation necessary to avoid complaints. We have this in place at the Welly. I was one of those who opposed the initial plans for developments near the Albert and was under the impression it was all sorted, so what is the issue now?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Live music venues have struggled for years, they're nearly always under pressure. The duke of Wellington at Shoreham is going to need help soon. Fight the good Fight :thumbsup:

When they appoint Mad Nad as 'culture secretary' to decide what to do with OUR taxes whilst closing down live music venues, it's time to stand up :rant:
Mad Nad is, happily, spending more time with her money, now she's flounced.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here