Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Hamas/Gaza/Israel

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
The trouble now is the IDF are too gung ho hence the killing of three of their own. They will have an internal inquiry and wishy washy it away or blame someone else.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
The UK has now called for a ceasefire, saying that “too many civilians have been killed."

Not quite the type of ‘immediate ceasefire’ the majority of the UN have been calling for - rather ‘calling for’ a long-term ‘ceasefire’ as part of a ‘sustainable solution’ - the UK is just saying it supports a ceasefire if we find a peaceful solution to the Palestinian issue and Hamas stops attacking Israel: As the foreign Secretary said at the UN Assembly on Friday

”We have been clear that Israel must be targeted and precise in its efforts to address the threat posed by Hamas, and must minimise civilian casualties and protect civilian infrastructure in line with international humanitarian law. My Prime Minister and Foreign Secretary have repeatedly delivered this message to Israel, and will continue to do so…we support calls for a sustainable ceasefire, where hostages are released, more aid can get in and Hamas stops firing rockets into Israel.”

Politik-speak.

In the Sunday times today, David Cameron writes

"We do not believe that calling right now for a general and immediate ceasefire, hoping it somehow becomes permanent, is the way forward… Would Hamas stop firing rockets? Would it release the hostages? Would its murderous ideology change? An unsustainable ceasefire, quickly collapsing into further violence, would only make it harder to build the confidence needed for peace."

Politik-speak and prevarication…but reaffirming clear support for Israel to continue it’s war campaign against Hamas and not stopping until Hamas is destroyed - the UK, along with the US, committed to an open-ended and very possibly unachievable objective.

Last edited:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Not quite the type of ‘immediate ceasefire’ the majority of the UN have been calling for - rather ‘calling for’ a long-term ‘ceasefire’ as part of a ‘sustainable solution’ - the UK is just saying it supports a ceasefire if we find a peaceful solution to the Palestinian issue and Hamas stops attacking Israel: As the foreign Secretary said at the UN Assembly on Friday

”We have been clear that Israel must be targeted and precise in its efforts to address the threat posed by Hamas, and must minimise civilian casualties and protect civilian infrastructure in line with international humanitarian law. My Prime Minister and Foreign Secretary have repeatedly delivered this message to Israel, and will continue to do so…we support calls for a sustainable ceasefire, where hostages are released, more aid can get in and Hamas stops firing rockets into Israel.”

Politik-speak.

"We do not believe that calling right now for a general and immediate ceasefire, hoping it somehow becomes permanent, is the way forward… Would Hamas stop firing rockets? Would it release the hostages? Would its murderous ideology change? An unsustainable ceasefire, quickly collapsing into further violence, would only make it harder to build the confidence needed for peace."

Politik-speak and prevarication…but reaffirming clear support for Israel to continue it’s war campaign against Hamas and not stopping until Hamas is destroyed - the UK, along with the US, committed to an open-ended and very possibly unachievable objective.
Surely a ceasefire cannot be just Israel ceases and Hamas still fires ?

I've probably misunderstood you but both sides need to cease, surely ?

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Surely a ceasefire cannot be just Israel ceases and Hamas still fires ?

I've probably misunderstood you but both sides need to cease, surely ?
Now you’re getting it - what the UK is suggesting isn’t a ‘ceasefire’ but a one-sided situation “where hostages are released, more aid can get in and Hamas stops firing rockets into Israel.”

Anything less than that, the UK says would be ‘unsustainable‘ because Hamas would regroup and their ideology would remain

“We do not believe that calling right now for a general and immediate ceasefire, hoping it somehow becomes permanent, is the way forward… Would Hamas stop firing rockets? Would it release the hostages? Would its murderous ideology change?”

All people will see is the headlines that the UK is calling for a ‘ceasefire’ - it’s rubbish, the UK’s policy on supporting Israel hasn’t changed.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Now you’re getting it - what the UK is suggesting isn’t a ‘ceasefire’ but a one-sided situation “where hostages are released, more aid can get in and Hamas stops firing rockets into Israel.”
Another genius plan from "Call me" Dave :facepalm:

For what its worth, I said at the start Israel needed to have been the 'bigger man' and not retaliated, but I can see why they decided on plan B (or was it A?).

And so, here we are.

Anyway, it matters about as much to the situation what Dave suggests as it does what he suggests we do to overcome Palace on Thursday.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Politik-speak.

It shows how hopelessly useless the US, and we, are in terms of global clout. Flat track bullies willing to pile into paces like Nicaragua (albeit this was decades ago) and later Iraq (then f*** it all up, leave without anything other that a trophy killing (Saddam) and a mess, ripe for the next wave of lunatics to establish themselves - hello ISIS!).

Nothing learned from how the Brits took over India, ran it for centuries, then f***ed off leaving a bit of a mess (but nothing like Iraq). Maybe too much learned from Vietnam, where they f***ed off and left it to the communists, who now seem not to have been any threat to the west at all. The lesson learned being that today "we can pontificate, sell arms, and occasionally twat a tiny irrelevant state somewhere in central America, but otherwise....oh look over there, a lovely shiny thing".

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Anything less than that, the UK says would be ‘unsustainable‘ because Hamas would regroup and their ideology would remain

“We do not believe that calling right now for a general and immediate ceasefire, hoping it somehow becomes permanent, is the way forward… Would Hamas stop firing rockets? Would it release the hostages? Would its murderous ideology change?”

All people will see is the headlines that the UK is calling for a ‘ceasefire’ - it’s rubbish, the UK’s policy on supporting Israel hasn’t changed.
I'm not sure I agree. Cameron using the word "ceasefire" is a strong sign that the government has run out of patience. Of course the language used in public is measured as Israel is an ally but you can bet that behind closed doors stronger words have been said.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm not sure I agree. Cameron using the word "ceasefire" is a strong sign that the government has run out of patience. Of course the language used in public is measured as Israel is an ally but you can bet that behind closed doors stronger words have been said.
Unfortunately the only strong words Bibi takes note of are those of his minority government allies from the far right.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Unfortunately the only strong words Bibi takes note of are those of his minority government allies from the far right.
I agree - but @Bakero is right in that the language being used does reflect a frustration at the numbers of civilian casualties continuing to mount and a growing rifts between Netanyahu and the Biden/Cameron position on Israel - it just hasn’t got to either calling for an immediate ceasefire though.

Biden has said as much in recent days, that Netanyahu right-wing government risks losing international support both for it’s war in Gaza and what happens after

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I agree - but @Bakero is right in that the language being used does reflect a frustration at the numbers of civilian casualties continuing to mount and a growing rifts between Netanyahu and the Biden/Cameron position on Israel - it just hasn’t got to either calling for an immediate ceasefire though.

Biden has said as much in recent days, that Netanyahu right-wing government risks losing international support both for it’s war in Gaza and what happens after
"Uh-oh ............ it could be you, or it could be us, but there's no page here."

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I haven't taken sides in this war, because I think Israel has a case, and I also think the Palestinians have a case. Hamas are just terrorists.

Having said that, this deputy mayor has just outright lied, because Liberal MP Layla Moran has family sheltering in the Catholic church mentioned in this clip

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I haven't taken sides in this war, because I think Israel has a case, and I also think the Palestinians have a case. Hamas are just terrorists.

Having said that, this deputy mayor has just outright lied, because Liberal MP Layla Moran has family sheltering in the Catholic church mentioned in this clip

Yes, it is a complete lie - a clergy friend with several other catholic clergy, including a Palestinian priest, went to that very Catholic Church on a mission project a few years ago - so unless the Israeli’s have blown it up, it is still there.

Just so it is clear, anyone that supports Netanyahu’s government, supports the view that Palestinians don’t have a right to their own State and Gaza must be run under Israeli military occupation.

The Israeli people deserve better than a Prime Minister that has done everything to thwart the peace process for the past decade and is ‘proud’ of having done so.

borat

Jul 16, 2003
A Human Rights Watch report finds that Instagram and Facebook are censoring and suppressing Palestinian support and news/reports of the ongoing Israeli atrocities.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Hope the utter destruction was worth it Mr Netanyahu? From where I’m sitting, it looks absolutely senseless 🤷‍♂️

“The offensive has wreaked more destruction than the razing of Aleppo between 2012 and 2016, Ukraine's Mariupol last year at the hands of Russia or, proportionally, the Allied bombing of Germany in the Second World War.”

Last edited:

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

I don’t know how anyone can think this post is an appropriate contribution to a very serious thread and just after someone’s posted images of the most awful destruction of civilian infrastructure imaginable.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I don’t know how anyone can think this post is an appropriate contribution to a very serious thread and just after someone’s posted images of the most awful destruction of civilian infrastructure imaginable.
Read the post above mine you weirdo shape-shifter. You're all over the place on this thread, you don't seem to have any honestly-held stance on the issue

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here