Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Goring Gap High Court challenge today

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
empty homes are a murky stats, dont account for accuratly for holiday homes, owners away, unlet, renovation, undesirable, uninhabitable (various councils record different data, nothing central). the numbers show this is another distraction, assuming were all empty properties were available thats about 1-1.5 years of new build output. what then?

Thankfully, everyone sensible seems agreed that 268,000 is the true figure. Mischievous stirrers with an angle sometime include homes being renovated by councils, social housing providers or landlords, to paint a false picture that we don’t need to build in the UK.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I guess it begs the question, why did a large house builder buy the land and submit proposals :shrug:

Cos they didn't do their homework.

Adur District Council owns the land, not Hyde.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Cos they didn't do their homework.

Adur District Council owns the land, not Hyde.

I doubt it was a case of not doing homework ..maybe it was a case of going for more than one development knowing and accepting that one wasn’t going to succeed ..I’m sure they are involved with some of the current or recent stuff in SHOREHAM

https://www.sussexexpress.co.uk/news/flood-plain-with-potential-for-housing-on-sale-2279489?amp

This is why I thought it had been bought

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
(and don't give me any rubbish about sustainable transport options because people will still use cars).
We will quite rightly still use cars because there are no sustainable trains options.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
wait so you'll object based on how much profit might be made, rather than the need for housing? and unfounded assumptions of what they'll look like? heres what they're supposed to look like.
dont care for the Barret box, bit of a London thing, not everything has to be "of merit" other than substantial build and fitting with the local pattern. need homes not award winning homes.

Maybe something like this which I’m sure you’ll agree is much more adventurous and attractive and has proved very popular in Düsseldorf. I hear the argument for infrastructure so I’d also build a couple of independent craft beer bars, a coffee shop and a bistro.

Attachments

• 0BF4135F-B199-42A6-BFB8-C5A8F1E9455E.jpeg
    0BF4135F-B199-42A6-BFB8-C5A8F1E9455E.jpeg
    329.1 KB · Views: 131

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Used to enjoy a quiet walk home from the Henty Arms along there. Never mind, stick some expensive crammed together houses all over it. The A259 needs more cars anyway.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Maybe something like this which I’m sure you’ll agree is much more adventurous and attractive and has proved very popular in Düsseldorf. I hear the argument for infrastructure so I’d also build a couple of independent craft beer bars, a coffee shop and a bistro.

certainly adventerous, i expect a little awkward to actually live in. not something the folk of Goring would take to.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Quite. I’m okay with losing some green space as long as what is built there is well thought out and gives normal people the Chance to build a life, start a family, grow old together etc.

In principal, I’m in favour of the Monks Farm development in Lancing / Shoreham. But I’m dead against the 9 storey behemoth on the old civic centre site. It changes the skyline, creates darkness for dozens of houses, wipes out that tree and dwarfs the Welly. Grim.

Especially when the Shoreham Port are building flats between Frosts and the lighthouse (apart from the odd business that's not sold out, yet).

Imagine the monstrous building they're building opposite the skate park running almost continuosly down to the lighthouse. Horrendous.

I've got a mate who lives in the centre of Shoreham (Greenacres for locals) and he's outside of the catchment area for his daughter to go to Shoreham Academy.

I live almost literally on the last road in Shoreham before it becomes Lancing and my daughter got in easily 4 years ago.

Yes there's a housing shortage, no I don't have a solution. But destroying the very fabric of our towns and villages is not the way forward.

It's like the 60s when they pulled down the rows and rows of terraced houses and built the high rises. Whole communities and cultures were lost forever.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
We will quite rightly still use cars because there are no sustainable trains options.

Outside of Brighton, local bus services are pitiful too.

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
Especially when the Shoreham Port are building flats between Frosts and the lighthouse (apart from the odd business that's not sold out, yet).

Imagine the monstrous building they're building opposite the skate park running almost continuosly down to the lighthouse. Horrendous.

I've got a mate who lives in the centre of Shoreham (Greenacres for locals) and he's outside of the catchment area for his daughter to go to Shoreham Academy.

I live almost literally on the last road in Shoreham before it becomes Lancing and my daughter got in easily 4 years ago.

Yes there's a housing shortage, no I don't have a solution. But destroying the very fabric of our towns and villages is not the way forward.

It's like the 60s when they pulled down the rows and rows of terraced houses and built the high rises. Whole communities and cultures were lost forever.

I would not call Greenacres the centre of Shoreham imo.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The flooding argument never really flies with trying to stop these developments I'm afraid because they always put in massive drainage systems to combat this which are thoroughly tested now. Find yourself a newt or a special type of snail. That's your best bet!

Although, the Monks Farm development has run into huge issues with it’s drainage, the pumping station flooding and washing away a swathe of the river bank.

The best way to stop developments is to oppose on height grounds. Once a developer knows it can’t build over 5 storeys, they usually pull out these days. However, In the case of Shoreham, there is a 9 storey going up which means there is now a precedent. The old “no higher than the spire” rule is dangerously close to being breached.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I was under the impression that the field hadn’t been farmed for a few decades because it floods. I may be wrong but if so why would they be allowed to build houses there and if it doesn’t flood why hasn’t it been farmed?

I think I have seen stuff grown up there. The Ferring Rife runs through they (Maybridge gets it's name because it was a bridge over it) so it must be a bit susceptible to flooding but I don't think it ia that bad.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
certainly adventerous, i expect a little awkward to actually live in. not something the folk of Goring would take to.

No more awkward than small low-ceilinged rooms and small open plan kitchens where sprouts are boiling next to your head when you are sitting on the sofa.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Build something you can be proud of...not a load of shit Barrett homes.

But young people who may struggle to afford a shit Barrett home (probably need to buy a share of) have not got a cat in hells chance of affording a tech filled, eco home right now. I get that house builders are more concerned about profit than anything else, they are a business after all. But when authorities are pressured to build more homes because of a shortage, then grant planning permission but get it in the neck from some of the very people that have been complaining about the shortage :shrug:

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
The country needs more houses, and a lot less nimbys. Fingers crossed the right decision is reached.

I don't disagree that we need more housing. I do really dislike the way that new housing estates are springing up everywhere (not just down here) without any consideration for infrastructure like roads, doctors/dentists, etc. Its infuriating but the developers (why would they really) and councils don't seem to give a shit. The a259 is an awful awful road yet all along it new developments are being built. Any plans to relieve the congestion? Are there ****

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I really don't get to the objection to building new homes anywhere.

The same old excuses of schools, doctors, parking, congestion etc...

That's a completely different argument. Inevitably new housing will have an effect on your life, but far less than the effect on people who can't find somewhere to live or suffer the prices that a lack of supply produces.

We need new houses and if they are next door, suck it up.

If some of the country dwellers who hate development lived in London they would go insane.

My old next door neighbour tried to get me to put in an objection to the secondary school being redeveloped next door on the basis it would overlook my property.

I declined.

Last edited:

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I really don't get to the objection to building new homes anywhere.

The same old excuses of schools, doctors, parking, congestion etc...

That's a completely different argument. Inevitably new housing will have an effect on your life, but far less than the effect on people who can't find somewhere to live or suffer the prices that a lack of supply produces.

We need new houses and if they are next door, suck it up.

If some of the country dwellers who hate development lived in London they would go insane.

My old next door neighbour tried to get me to put in an objection to the secondary school being redeveloped next door on the basis it would overlook my property.

I declined.

How are they excuses? The road system is terrible in that area with congestion throughout the day. You don't see that as an issue - especially as more and more estates are built and it continues to worsen? How is it a different argument? The two, as well as issues like the absolute frustration of trying to get a doctors appointment, are intrinsically linked

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here