Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Giving Managers time?

So with the topical 'Mickey out' campaign gaining momentum, where do we stand in the giving managers time to develop a team side of things?

It seems increasing amounts of managers (Ince for one I suppose) are getting the boot, despite inheriting teams and not being given the magic element of 'time' to turn things around.

Has the short termism of football gone too far? Is there any value in allowing a coach time to get things right or is it correct to demand instant success?

Would supporting the idea of giving time, yet calling for Adams' head show great hypocrisy?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
managers tend to get the boot quickly when they inherit decent teams and turn them into jokes - as ince had done with blackburn

if a manager takes over a struggling team that is blatantly not up to it, then he obviously deserves time to turn them around. not the case with us though

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
So with the topical 'Mickey out' campaign gaining momentum, where do we stand in the giving managers time to develop a team side of things?

It seems increasing amounts of managers (Ince for one I suppose) are getting the boot, despite inheriting teams and not being given the magic element of 'time' to turn things around.

Has the short termism of football gone too far? Is there any value in allowing a coach time to get things right or is it correct to demand instant success?

Would supporting the idea of giving time, yet calling for Adams' head show great hypocrisy?

We've gone from a team which was seventh last season, to a team going to League Two, faster then the Titanic sunked. The footballing world has changed, and it aint about performances anymore it is all about results on the pitch.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think it's wrong to label this as a football attitude. Society in general has lost patience, TV and films have shorter scenes and major/action scenes more frequently to keep people's attention because patience s wearing thin.

In music, artists are dropped from labels if they don't explode in popularity quickly. Elton John had to wait until the 90s for a solo number 1, would Katy Perry have bee given the same patience?

We want faster internet, more instant food.

And yes, in football too, we want what we want instantly.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
10 of the starting line-up were here before MA so it's not a case of bedding in a new team. Questions have been asked, and need to be answered, as to what has happened to these players.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
I think to have half a season of taking a comfortable high mid-table team deep into the relegation places is time enough, time for the whole coaching staff to go.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I do believe Wilkins over achieved with our squad last season but thats credit to him and his coaching abilities.Wilkins had a point to prove and was hungry.
If he was still in charge now i don't reckon he would have improved on his first season finish, but he certainly wouldn't put us in the shit as Adams has done.
The midfield needs a complete over haul and fast.
Is it me or did Dean get the best out of our kids then Adams?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The thing with this argument is that for every situation where you think a guy should have more time, there is another where a team almost certainly saved themselves from relegation by getting rid while there was still time for someone else to turn it around.

My Evertonian mate at work's favourite example is Mike Walker, out he went, in came Joe Royle and won the first three matches and they went on to avoid the drop which they all thought was beyond Walker.

I've got a lot of time for Micky, his first spell in charge coincided with a time when I went to more Albion matches than at any other time in my life, maybe 11/12 of that unbeaten run of 14 at the end of one season and then maybe averaged 30-35 games a season for the next two years. Great stuff to watch, and I'll always be grateful. But this cannot go on much longer.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Basically I am a hypocrite. I think Paul Ince should have been given more time but after yesterday i am wavering with MA.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Basically I am a hypocrite. I think Paul Ince should have been given more time but after yesterday i am wavering with MA.

Those are my sentiments exactly... and they are making me all confused!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here