Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners Question Time.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Keep rockin'!
When you eventually push and pull those stems and the last root snaps and the stump is completely free, you won't have experienced such elation for a long time!

Agreed...!!! Incredibly satisfying. I’m going to find another one to do tomorrow. [emoji23][emoji23]

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Agreed...!!! Incredibly satisfying. I’m going to find another one to do tomorrow. [emoji23][emoji23]

I know, it's only rocking, hole, but I like it!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Devastating news at Stat Towers - it looks like a tornado has gone through the poppy fields. :down:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Devastating news at Stat Towers - it looks like a tornado has gone through the poppy fields. :down:

Don't worry. I've got loads of Poppy seeds here. Would you like some?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
we've had loads of Poppies on the Allotment. and tonnes of strawberries, although nearly all gone now. This week the Bog brush has gone nuts.

allotment.jpg

bog.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I too could do with some ant talk.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Fire is best for ants, with copious amounts of accelerant.

also chickens work , dig the nest open and let them feast. ( chickens need to be alive with feathers, not prepacked from M&S free range or otherwise.

another slow but fun way is with a magnifying glass, keeps kids entertained as well, and a goods science lesson

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Fire is best for ants, with copious amounts of accelerant.

also chickens work , dig the nest open and let them feast. ( chickens need to be alive with feathers, not prepacked from M&S free range or otherwise.

another slow but fun way is with a magnifying glass, keeps kids entertained as well, and a goods science lesson

So I need to set fire to my Lawn?

Bugger, my Ku Klux Klan membership has lapsed... :down:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Box Tree Moths.

I have documented my ongoing conflict with the Box tree moths previously on this thread and currently seem to have the upper hand using a mix of pheromone traps and the occasional use of Provanto.

I have always understood that it has only been active in Britain the last 10 or so years and no UK birds will eat the caterpillars. However, I have noticed that this season and particularly the last couple of weeks (peak season) a number of Magpies have been sitting on my various box hedges and appear to be feeding.

Could it be that Magpies have suddenly developed a taste for the little b******s ?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Parts of a border I’ve sorted out over the last 15 months. Previously it was a chalky subsoil.

DBF31292-827D-41CE-ACAA-380B2D165FCE.jpeg

A2511F48-1AFD-4BC1-89B1-443845A54D74.jpeg

In addition to the ubiquitous Common poppy, in the shots are Betony (two species), Achillea millefolium ‘Terracotta’, perennial Wallflower, Lavender Munstead, Geranium Rozanne, Scabious Macedonia and Agastache (Anise Hyssop).

With Agastache Blue Fortune and Echinacea purpurea August Konigin ready to burst out in flowers.

The backdrop is a mixed natives hedge, planted as whips about 5 years ago.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Parts of a border I’ve sorted out over the last 15 months. Previously it was a chalky subsoil.

View attachment 138753

View attachment 138754

In addition to the ubiquitous Common poppy, in the shots are Betony (two species), Achillea millefolium ‘Terracotta’, perennial Wallflower, Lavender Munstead, Geranium Rozanne, Scabious Macedonia and Agastache (Anise Hyssop).

With Agastache Blue Fortune and Echinacea purpurea August Konigin ready to burst out in flowers.

The backdrop is a mixed natives hedge, planted as whips about 5 years ago.

Lovely, and clearly designed with nature in mind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here