Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners Question Time.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
That is way cool!
How do you get on rummaging around in the undergrowth, knowing the creepy crawlies you get. Plus, we need pictures of said creepy crawlies to put perspective on the reality of what we find here...you know, bumble bees and those yellow and black flying c u next tuesdays

One from our outdoor/indoor area earlier this week, had a big roach too but no pic. Yet to see any spectacular spiders or snakes.

Attachments

• C50C6BB2-5FCF-4DF9-BE4F-54FAF434F958.jpeg
    C50C6BB2-5FCF-4DF9-BE4F-54FAF434F958.jpeg
    456.5 KB · Views: 85

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Weigela Unusual Collection
Buddleia weyeriana 'Sungold'
Plus some free Lupins

All arrived in the week and were bunged into the border, earlier in the week.
I wasn't entirely sure about the Lupins as they looked more like root vegetables than flowering perennials, anyway they're in the ground now so f**k'em.

Plugs of this lot arrived today.
I've just been through the online descriptions ranking them in height, colour and whether it's a daisy or not.
They'll be going in tomorrow, weather permitting with the requisite 'before' photo following soon after.

Heliopsis
Chrysanthemum Max,
Echinacea purpurea,
Linum perenne,
Achillea cerise,
Nepeta,
Heuchera Mixed
Sedum kamtschaticum
Plus
A climbing rose - Waltz Time.

Now going to locate my poppy seeds and we're away.

They'll be a special secret photo too - how exciting.

Blimey Stat, you're now talking the true language of horticulture. Looking forwards to your photos.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
'Before photo'

This is the bed that most of the shite mentioned previously has been dumped into.
At best it's going to look 'eclectic', it's more likely to look awful.

I was going to watch a video on planting a climbing rose.
But the video was 8 minutes long and I'm just not wasting that much time on gardening.

IMG_20210328_112032_969.jpg

IMG_20210328_112111_227.jpg

It would seem I have just enough poppy seeds!

IMG_20210328_123251_622.jpg

Last edited:

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
'Before photo'

This is the bed that most of the shite mentioned previously has been dumped into.
At best it's going to look 'eclectic', it's more likely to look awful.

I was going to watch a video on planting a climbing rose.
But the video was 8 minutes long and I'm just not wasting that much time on gardening.

View attachment 135358

View attachment 135359

It would seem I have just enough poppy seeds!

View attachment 135360

What, to last the 21st century?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My nemesis still walks among us

IMG_20210328_112050_981_5.jpg

Although the ceanothus now looks lovely

IMG_20210328_112133_505.jpg

and finally

ta-daaaaa

Last years dead thing now looks positively sprightly.

IMG_20210328_112142_882.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What, to last the 21st century?

It would seem that way yes.

I've now reseeded Chris' patch and extended it up to my nemesis.
I'd like to think I was quite cunning, as I covered the top of the jar with cling film, punctured a few holes and seeded as if it was an old skool salt shaker.

I spent a couple of minutes shaking all over. (then got down to the job in hand)
Regularly checking some was coming out, it was.

I spent a further minute 'just in case'
Seeds were still coming out.

I still have the same amount of seeds left!

I've had cunning plan #II

There's a similar but smaller border opposite, so I'm going to wait 6 weeks or so and then seed poppies over there, with the intention of extending the 'season'.

Finally - does anyone want any poppy seeds :lol:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
[MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] why is the Cordyline your nemesis? An architectural plant like that can form a great backdrop to all manner of other plants whether they 'fit' an exotic theme or a traditional English country garden type setup. A lot of gardeners make the mistake of taking out taller plants, I believe misguidedly they like to feel more control over what they are doing, but this approach crucially ignores the 3rd dimension i.e. up. Taking the garden up through height of planting, increases the perception of the size of the garden.

Anyhow, here's a few pictures of 3 plants in my garden today:

Acacia pravissima from Australia, beautiful, heavily scented mimosa flowers. Then Aloe striatula, South African succulent sailed through winter with no protection in spite of some pretty unpleasant weather. Lastly, Butia capitata, origin southern Brazil and Uruguay. These petiole spines are sharp but not by palm standards.
2021_0328_12280700~4.jpg

2021_0328_12382100~3.jpg

2021_0328_12330200~2.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cos it's a wanker.

This threads humble beginings are me asking how to kill Nimrod and make it look like an accident.
All it does is suck water out of the lawn and drop annoying indestructible leaves that kill lawn mowers.

Jobber got it's reprieve when my neighbour saw me checking out which was the best bit to hack off first.
After 10 minutes also moaning about the bloody thing he said he'd be upset to see it go.

The only other saving grace is it's quite a popular annoyance, in the village, and numbnuts here does seem to be a particularly fetching tree compared to all the other straggly arsed wimps.
I certainly wouldn't tolerate one of those embarrassments in my garden.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Cos it's a wanker.

This threads humble beginings are me asking how to kill Nimrod and make it look like an accident.
All it does is suck water out of the lawn and drop annoying indestructible leaves that kill lawn mowers.

Jobber got it's reprieve when my neighbour saw me checking out which was the best bit to hack off first.
After 10 minutes also moaning about the bloody thing he said he'd be upset to see it go.

The only other saving grace is it's quite a popular annoyance, in the village, and numbnuts here does seem to be a particularly fetching tree compared to all the other straggly arsed wimps.
I certainly wouldn't tolerate one of those embarrassments in my garden.

Okay, why not pollard it a few feet from the ground, or coppice it lower down? It will resprout, probably in a few places on the remaining stem and it will not suck as much water from your lawn.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Okay, why not pollard it a few feet from the ground, or coppice it lower down? It will resprout, probably in a few places on the remaining stem and it will not suck as much water from your lawn.

Do you want any poppy seeds?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They all look rather good.

At least you haven't got a numbskull at the bottom of your garden who likes Leylandii (*******). Hideous things.

Ask them if they want some poppy seeds.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've just realised this thread doubles up as a very good calendar.

As per post #213 I appear to have sown poppy seeds 3 weeks earlier than last year.
Which is a bit of a shame as if anything I intended to sow 3, or so, weeks later.

What with next weeks weather being more August than March, the poppies may well be done before Summer. :down:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Exm3Sr-XIAUGhdG.png

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I've just realised this thread doubles up as a very good calendar.

As per post #213 I appear to have sown poppy seeds 3 weeks earlier than last year.
Which is a bit of a shame as if anything I intended to sow 3, or so, weeks later.

What with next weeks weather being more August than March, the poppies may well be done before Summer. :down:
Have you got any poppy seeds?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here