Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners Question Time.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Do I assume that you now live in East Anglia? I was going to offer to pop round and give you the benefit of my gardening wisdom, but East Anglia is a bit far away for me! If you're not, please let me know.
That looks one hell of a garden you've got there. Veg apart - which I don't do, the good news is that even if you don't do anything to the wilder looking bits, it will just tick over with no real problems. The more formal bit, leave well alone until the end of May as there may be some lovely stuff to come through over the next few months. Then you can see what you've got.
Keep posting regular photo updates on here. More advice will follow when we can see how things are, not just from me, but there are other really good gardeners on this thread. We'll guide you through!

Many thanks!

PM follows...

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Doing my lawn tomorrow as it’s getting high now. My biggest fear is slicing through hidden parcels left by the dog.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Ok - question 1 in what is likely to be a long (very long) apprenticeship in the art/trade/profession of gardening.

I’ve been germinating some veg seeds in an electric propagator. Amongst the early growers are aubergine. I planted 27 gazillion seeds; 6 have germinated. 4 of the 6 are in two pairs, very close together.

Is it best to:

A) separate them soon
B) separate them on Zaha-ing them out
C) try growing them as conjoined twins
D) don’t try and grow fing aubergines you middle-class zaha

??

Thx

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Ok - question 1 in what is likely to be a long (very long) apprenticeship in the art/trade/profession of gardening.

I’ve been germinating some veg seeds in an electric propagator. Amongst the early growers are aubergine. I planted 27 gazillion seeds; 6 have germinated. 4 of the 6 are in two pairs, very close together.

Is it best to:

A) separate them soon
B) separate them on Zaha-ing them out
C) try growing them as conjoined twins
D) don’t try and grow fing aubergines you middle-class zaha

??

Thx

Gently tip them out of the pot then separate them then pop them in to individual pots, small pots, like vending cup size is perfect, give them as much light as you can and keep them warm ish... if any of this fails, wait til late April and buy one or two Scorpio f1 grafted Aubergines and plant those somewhere warm and get more Aubergines than you have ever seen in your life ....

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Gently tip them out of the pot then separate them then pop them in to individual pots, small pots, like vending cup size is perfect, give them as much light as you can and keep them warm ish... if any of this fails, wait til late April and buy one or two Scorpio f1 grafted Aubergines and plant those somewhere warm and get more Aubergines than you have ever seen in your life ....

Thanks! So, separate them sooner rather than later...

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Thanks! So, separate them sooner rather than later...
Yes, once they are up and growing strongly is the time to do it... Or, snip one of each pair off at ground level if you are a heartless ******* and don't like repotting.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
In case [MENTION=259]Jack Straw[/MENTION] isn't around, you have to take pictures and post them before you start, it's the law and only adds to the entertainment :thumbsup:

And helps with the advice

better get a snap in quick before he sends the boys round :eek:

hopefully things spring up soon. As an indicator of our weather, we have an increasingly succesful bottle brush plant just out of shot. . . .

LeJardin.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Chris just knocked on my kitchen window and waved hello.
He looked well.

Which was nice.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
better get a snap in quick before he sends the boys round :eek:

hopefully things spring up soon. As an indicator of our weather, we have an increasingly succesful bottle brush plant just out of shot. . . .

View attachment 134991

Nice garden. Keep the photos coming. We love a photo of a garden on here!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I built a patio for a friend two years' ago. I pointed up the 10 mm gaps with grey Sika Pave Fix Plus, recommended by another friend (Yes, I've got two!). I used it exactly as per the instructions. It looked great when I'd finished. Over the last two years, it has all cracked and changed to a brown colour. I spent under an hour prizing it out with a screwdriver and I'm now in the process of using 3:1 coarse sand and cement as I normally do, to re-point the whole patio.
I rang the friend who recommended it to me to tell him what a load of crap he'd made me buy, and that I had to dig it all out and replace it. He said, "That's exactly what I've got to do with my patio!"
The moral of the story is, don't use this rubbish to point paving with and don't take any notice of my mate. If anyone has any positive stories about this stuff, I'd really like to know.
I've attached a photo of me in action doing the original pointing.

Attachments

• Sika.JPG
    Sika.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 56

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I built a patio for a friend two years' ago. I pointed up the 10 mm gaps with grey Sika Pave Fix Plus, recommended by another friend (Yes, I've got two!). I used it exactly as per the instructions. It looked great when I'd finished. Over the last two years, it has all cracked and changed to a brown colour. I spent under an hour prizing it out with a screwdriver and I'm now in the process of using 3:1 coarse sand and cement as I normally do, to re-point the whole patio.
I rang the friend who recommended it to me to tell him what a load of crap he'd made me buy, and that I had to dig it all out and replace it. He said, "That's exactly what I've got to do with my patio!"
The moral of the story is, don't use this rubbish to point paving with and don't take any notice of my mate. If anyone has any positive stories about this stuff, I'd really like to know.
I've attached a photo of me in action doing the original pointing.

Would you expect the coarse sand/cement to prevent weeds appearing between the slabs, or is something else required under the slabs? Ta.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
We have become the proud owners of the stereo typical lockdown puppy, after much nagging from the kids. He is lovely, if you like sh1t and p1ss all over the garden.

My once beautiful lawn has now got brown patches all over it from said p1ss. Has anyone got any tips as to how to prevent this? Baring a bullet and/or don't get a dog if you want a nice lawn!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
We have become the proud owners of the stereo typical lockdown puppy, after much nagging from the kids. He is lovely, if you like sh1t and p1ss all over the garden.

My once beautiful lawn has now got brown patches all over it from said p1ss. Has anyone got any tips as to how to prevent this? Baring a bullet and/or don't get a dog if you want a nice lawn!
hydslab-650x455.jpg

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Dog rocks, put them in their water bowl

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Lawn-Protecting-Dog-Rocks/c1924/?quick_find=113811&utm_source=sag&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=surfaces_UK&gclid=CjwKCAjw9MuCBhBUEiwAbDZ-7hDLbF2BYc9kYUb7UPTfImO3JkHrpxMLUaBvS-Xib5Jsnlj3ZsO6FBoCcH0QAvD_BwE

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
View attachment 134497

Long bed = no clue

View attachment 134498

North facing = rock garden??

View attachment 134499

Here (and way beyond) be dragons = no clue.

View attachment 134500

Near bit sometimes floods (obviously), rest doesn’t. Leave well alone?

View attachment 134501

Gulp

View attachment 134502

Wild flowers??

View attachment 134503

Dunno

View attachment 134504

300 yards of this. Bluebells???

View attachment 134505

Near 100% moss here.

HELP!!!

Edit: oh FFS. All randomly rotated - apologies. They are fine when viewed on my laptop
That's not a garden. That's an estate.

Do you live here?

330px-Castle_Howard_and_garden.jpg

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

A few solutions suggested on the lawn growing thread, notably post #37 and this thread #1116.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Last years photo's

IMG_0589.jpg
IMG_0587.jpg
IMG_0586.jpg
IMG_0583.jpg
IMG_0581.jpg
IMG_0578.jpg
IMG_0580.jpg
IMG_0576.jpg
IMG_0575.jpg
IMG_0575.jpg
IMG_0571.jpg

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Would you expect the coarse sand/cement to prevent weeds appearing between the slabs, or is something else required under the slabs? Ta.
If the gaps between your slabs are wide enough to be able to be filled and compacted with a 3:1 coarse sand and cement wettish mix, there should be no gaps for the weed seeds to germinate. If you butt up your slabs and sweep a dry mix in, it won't be effective for long. It takes a while to point a patio with 10mm joints, but worth it in the end.
Here's a path and step I built recently where you can see the merits of 10mm joints and proper pointing with the above-mentioned mix.

Attachments

• Step2.jpg
    Step2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 49

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here