Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners Question Time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can a member of the panel please help with a question about this plant purchased today?

In the shop a quick glance at the label suggested this would climb up a fence if planted in the ground but having looked at it now I’m not sure that is what it’s meant for.... it has been trained around wire framework and is described as a “19cm pot”. Should I leave it in the pot or will it go
1911c56844b7ffb1406de3c9c547dce4.jpg

well up against a fence (fnarr, fnarr)...?

That is a plant with pink flowers.

That's PINK flowers.

Happy to help.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Can a member of the panel please help with a question about this plant purchased today?

In the shop a quick glance at the label suggested this would climb up a fence if planted in the ground but having looked at it now I’m not sure that is what it’s meant for.... it has been trained around wire framework and is described as a “19cm pot”. Should I leave it in the pot or will it go

It's a Bougainvillea, not hardy outside in this country I'm afraid.
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=816
I've seen them growing over nets over huge drainage channels in Madeira, but it's 25 degrees there all year round!

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk

Brave choice Sir!

Wonderful foliage but definitely not hardy and more suited to warmer climates. Siting is critical.

I have some experience of Bourgainvillas having grown a pair (boom tish) for approx.10 years indoors and in large pots, sited in a sunny garden room, with underfloor heating in winter. They often produce a wonderful and long lasting array of colour - but can suddenly shed the lot. However, keep the faith as they do return - with a little TLC and some light pruning of the old foliage. Do not over water, IMHO it seemed more a case of not letting them dry out. The key also seems to be maintaining as even a moderate year-round temperature as possible.

I guess they could do ok outside through the summer months in a sheltered, south facing position and away from draughts. Bring them indoors in September - or if a cool spell is forecasted.

A brave choice but I hope you will enjoy the vibrant colours.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

That's PINK flowers.

Happy to help.

You can't argue with that. Amazing knowledge Stat. You are rapidly becoming the main man on this thread! :clap:

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Love bougainvillea and I now really have to get another one. I have this vision of a cerise one growing up one side of my conservatory, and a solandra growing up tuther

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden

That's PINK flowers.

Just to be an absolute pedant, they're not flowers. The pink "flowers" are actuall bracts, a kind of leaf....you will find the small. white flowers in the middle of the bracts.

******* plants to keep for any length of time. Will thrive for a while then just fall to pieces, hard to keep through winter, although the will tolerate a slight frost. . Don't like being over watered and they have nasty thorns.

Good luck :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just to be an absolute pedant, they're not flowers. The pink "flowers" are actuall bracts, a kind of leaf....you will find the small. white flowers in the middle of the bracts.

:
Of course 'we' know that, I just didn't want the 'slower' people to feel left behind!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Love bougainvillea and I now really have to get another one. I have this vision of a cerise one growing up one side of my conservatory, and a solandra growing up tuther

Did you ever visit the Palm House outside the entrance to Stanmer Nurseries in the 1970's (sorry, I've no idea how old you are.)? There were one or two in there trained right across the span of the green house, from the ground, right up to the roof, across and down again. First job every day was to sweep up all the bracts which had dropped over night. They were like thick paper rather than soft petals.

Last edited:

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden

I looked after the palm house in Stanmer Park for a few years. Lots of wonderful exotics in there...Passiflora quadrangularis, Petrea volubilis and a Jade vine....probably the most spectacular flower i've ever seen...Strongylodon macrobotrys. Only seen on in Kew and Wisley.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
yes, dilute. I bit of light reading is needed to find weeds or plants that will release the main elements like nettles and comfrey, which is great by the way. I made some with dandelions and bindweed, but any leafy green stuff and soft stemmy bits will work.
Whilst we're on the subject of mixing stuff up, try rhubarb leaves, the liquid is a fantastic bug killer.
Is my inner bunny hugger coming out? no, I'm just a tight arse and getting something for nothing pleases me

I've got a great rhubarb and creme freche tart recipe I made with my rhubarb this week (leaves in the compost) :thumbsup:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I looked after the palm house in Stanmer Park for a few years. Lots of wonderful exotics in there...Passiflora quadrangularis, Petrea volubilis and a Jade vine....probably the most spectacular flower i've ever seen...Strongylodon macrobotrys. Only seen on in Kew and Wisley.

I thought you did. Didn't mention you in case I got anything wrong, but I knew you'd contribute. Used to be wonderful didn't it?

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Did you ever visit the Palm House outside the entrance to Stanmer Nurseries in the 1970's (sorry, I've no idea how old you are.)? There were one or two in there trained right across the span of the green house, from the ground, right up to the roof, across and down again. First job every day was to sweep up all the petals which had dropped over night. They were like thick paper rather than soft petals.

I'm 60 and from Hove, actually!
Never ventured into Brighton and didn't really get into spending all my time and money on plants until early eighties.
Growing plants I constantly fail with becomes an obsession in the end, until I succeed
edit
Just seen Jevs post
A Strongylodon macrobotrys at stamner? Ok, then. Somebody must have taken some photos whilst up there. Truth is, I had no idea the palm house even existed....sheltered life when younger

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Of course 'we' know that, I just didn't want the 'slower' people to feel left behind!

Exactly. I was taught a long time ago - "No one likes Mr. Clever"! :D

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I'm 60 and from Hove, actually!
Never ventured into Brighton and didn't really get into spending all my time and money on plants until early eighties.
Growing plants I constantly fail with becomes an obsession in the end, until I succeed

It's still there, but just a mess now. Approaching rack and ruin territory.
This photo is the best I can find at the moment.

Attachments

• Palm House.JPG
    Palm House.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 42

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

If it was really late 70s our paths may have crossed, albeit very briefly :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here