Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners Question Time.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I take my hat off to you. New one on me. The coriander I know looks nothing like that. I was going to plump for the weed, Redshank. Both are Persicaria but different species.
http://www.seasonalwildflowers.com/redshank.html
This is why I didn't think it was Coriander as such.
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/coriander-leaves.html

I grow another Persicaria that's taller and I seem to remember from the Himalayas, it is a very useful plant as it adds colour where most of my garden if green foliage and can be cut back when it reaches a metre or so for a second strong flush of red.

Thanks very much. Does it taste/work like standard coriander?

It is edible, but it is a long time since I grew it, it does smell like coriander but I can't remember if the taste is exactly the same. I know I made a curry with it and enjoyed it though.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I grow another Persicaria that's taller and I seem to remember from the Himalayas, it is a very useful plant as it adds colour where most of my garden if green foliage and can be cut back when it reaches a metre or so for a second strong flush of red.
I have one called "Firetail" which I got from Jevs. Lovely plant. They respond very well to the "Chelsea Chop", which is carried out this time of year.
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=594
Although not on this list, I have seen how good it works on Persicaria. Just inside Jevs' Rockery he planted a large patch. One summer morning he found that vandals had rolled around in it, flattening the whole lot. He wasn't happy. He cut to cut it virtually down to the ground to tidy it up.
A month later, it was the best any group of Persicaria he had ever seen. Half the height but double the flowers. From now on, it's the Chelsea Chop for his, and my Persicarias.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I have one called "Firetail" which I got from Jevs. Lovely plant. They respond very well to the "Chelsea Chop", which is carried out this time of year.
Although not on this list, I have seen how good it works on Persicaria. Just inside Jevs' Rockery he planted a large patch. One summer morning he found that vandals had rolled around in it, flattening the whole lot. He wasn't happy. He cut to cut it virtually down to the ground to tidy it up.
A month later, it was the best any group of Persicaria he had ever seen. Half the height but double the flowers. From now on, it's the Chelsea Chop for his, and my Persicarias.
Haha 'Chelsea Chop'!

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Persicaria amplexicaulis 'Firetail' Never seen so many honey bees around a single plant. Easy to divide and good for filling a large space.

A contender for that position must surely be Echium pininana?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Persicaria amplexicaulis 'Firetail' Never seen so many honey bees around a single plant. Easy to divide and good for filling a large space.
I grew 'Firetail' for years, it was given me by my mum. You are both right, lovely plant. I somehow killed it. It was too dry and shaded where it ended up. I'll take a picture of the variety I grew now in a tick.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Here's my Persicaria.

88c47d6bbcbc824d535a0742c9912cae.jpg

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Morning Jevs

Took possession of the Cherry tree last Sat, topped up with fresh soil, fed with chicken pellets & miracle grow, plus allotment compost.
I think once the acne has gone, then it should be ok.
Cheers for advice :thumbsup:
Phil

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Morning Jevs

Took possession of the Cherry tree last Sat, topped up with fresh soil, fed with chicken pellets & miracle grow, plus allotment compost.
I think once the acne has gone, then it should be ok.
Cheers for advice :thumbsup:
Phil

Nice one mate, just don't over-do the feeding for the first year or two. Good luck fella.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
That's P. red dragon....grown for it's foliage more than the small white flowers it produces.

When we cut ours down in late autumn and put the stems on the compost heap, every single leaf node roots. Drives me potty [emoji38]ol:
Lol, it really is a very determined plant! The flowers as you say, are insignificant, but the foliage is gorgeous. My picture doesn't really do it justice. It looks amazing with the sun shining through it..

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Here's my Persicaria.

88c47d6bbcbc824d535a0742c9912cae.jpg

I bet you say that to all the girls?!
What a wonderful collection of exotics. I like the shanty town shack in the distance too. Where do you live, Jamaica?!!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
A contender for that position must surely be Echium pininana?

You showed us your Persicaria. I'll show you my pininanas! I've got a bit of the car in for scale. The bees do seem to love 'em - the Echiums, not the cars!!

Attachments

• P1110113.JPG
    P1110113.JPG
    1,017.1 KB · Views: 47

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I bet you say that to all the girls?!
What a wonderful collection of exotics. I like the shanty town shack in the distance too. Where do you live, Jamaica?!!
Haha, Roselands, Eastbourne. That door is the old house front door attached to the shed. My shed was very useful until my eldest cleared it out and made out his man-cave. I want to do it up a bit but he won't let me.

And thanks. I've been 'exotic' gardening since 2003 when I lived in Liverpool.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
You showed us your Persicaria. I'll show you my pininanas! I've got a bit of the car in for scale. The bees do seem to love 'em - the Echiums, not the cars!!
I have no Echiums this year sadly. They are a magnificent sight! Some will surely sprout somewhere here though, they seem to every couple of years.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I have no Echiums this year sadly. They are a magnificent sight! Some will surely sprout somewhere here though, they seem to every couple of years.

Mine seem to be better every other year too. I think it's because they're triennials. If you want a good crop every year, I believe the way to do it is to sow seeds in consecutive years. It was a very mild if wet winter, but this year's crop is wonderful. If you want any seeds later in the year, I can easily get them to you. That includes anyone else in the vicinity of Brighton or not too far in Sussex.

Last edited:

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Mine seem to be better every other year too. I think it's because they're triennials. If you want a good crop every year, I believe the way to do it is to sow seeds in consecutive years. It was a very mild if wet winter, but this year's crop is wonderful. If you want any seeds later in the year, I can easily get them to you. That includes anyone else in the vicinity of Brighton or not too far in Sussex.

Yes please! I've not grown it since 2009-10........we know how that ended???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here