Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners Question Time.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
i’m going to plant out my sweet corn sometime during the next week as they are roughly a foot tall now. when i do it should i plant level soil level or a bit deeper as per tomatoes?. Same question also re my cucumber plants

It's going to get pretty chilly from tomorrow for a few days so just hold out until after then.

Plant sweetcorn as normal. They are a member of the grass family and should be planted in blocks of at least 4 or more as they are wind pollenated. Planting in blocks (as opposed to lines) will give them a better chance of setting fruit.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Can anyone tell me what these are ( I know they're flowers) just appeared this spring in an old flower container. View attachment 123318

Until someone who knows what they are talking about comes along and corrects me, I'm guessing freesia.

Freesia it is. I consulted a friend of mine just to confirm it wasn't an unusual cultivar of Hemoracallis or Orchid to make 100% sure.
See what I mean?
https://goodnessgrows.com/hemerocallis-white-temptation-daylily/#jp-carousel-2567

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Freesia it is. I consulted a friend of mine just to confirm it wasn't an unusual cultivar of Hemoracallis or Orchid to make 100% sure.
See what I mean?
https://goodnessgrows.com/hemerocallis-white-temptation-daylily/#jp-carousel-2567

Definitely not an orchid, Mrs Wz has them in the bathroom

Orchid 1.jpgorchid2.jpg

Bloody great loud things in see through pots - dead giveaway :wink:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Definitely not an orchid, Mrs Wz has them in the bathroom

View attachment 123353View attachment 123354

Bloody great loud things in see through pots - dead giveaway :wink:

We do like to make sure we're 100% on here. No point in getting it wrong, so best to check.
The photos show why it's best to check when you're not convinced. There's some crafty little blighters about that do a great impersonation of other plants!

Attachments

• Freesia.JPG
    Freesia.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 86
  • Orchid.JPG
    Orchid.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 87

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
We do like to make sure we're 100% on here. No point in getting it wrong, so best to check.
The photos show why it's best to check when you're not convinced. There's some crafty little blighters about that do a great impersonation of other plants!

See through pot on the right, I rest my case :wink:

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Any hedge experts out there? We have a wild privet hedge along the length of our garden - about 15m long and 3m high. It’s been there for years but it’s suddenly thread bare. Looks like it’s dying and some of the new buds are black. Should we leave it and hope it recovers? Apply some form of bug killer? Give up? Looking on the bright side, I don’t think I’ll need to cut the bl00dy thing this year!

Since I posted this, there’s some good and bad news: my hedge has made a miraculous recovery - but that means I’m going to have to cut the thing; however I’ve currently got lots of time to do that. Thanks to Jack for his interest and advice. I reckon the heavy rain in Jan and Feb started to kill it, but the good weather since has helped a surprise recovery.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Since I posted this, there’s some good and bad news: my hedge has made a miraculous recovery - but that means I’m going to have to cut the thing; however I’ve currently got lots of time to do that. Thanks to Jack for his interest and advice. I reckon the heavy rain in Jan and Feb started to kill it, but the good weather since has helped a surprise recovery.

It's a miracle! I saw your photos of the hedge and was going to send a Priest round. I did however amongst other things, suggest you give it one more year.
This is obviously the option you went for and it's paid dividends. We need to form a guard of honour and give it a good clapping as the leaves continue to grow. Good news. Please give your hedge my best regards and wish it many years of good health!!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Can someone help me, in my greenhouse I have Toms, peppers, courgettes and cucumbers, all doing very well apart from my 4 cucumber plants all looking very sad, yellow and drooping. I planted out the seedling 10 days ago, all very good until two days ago. The courgettes are in between them all looking good. Help please!!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Can someone help me, in my greenhouse I have Toms, peppers, courgettes and cucumbers, all doing very well apart from my 4 cucumber plants all looking very sad, yellow and drooping. I planted out the seedling 10 days ago, all very good until two days ago. The courgettes are in between them all looking good. Help please!!

Sorry, don't do veg, but I'm sure Jevs (when he's back from his allotment), or someone else can help.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
How do you keep pigeons off seedlings?

:rant:
Chicken wire resting on a few pieces wood to keep it above the seedlings, should help.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Could be the temperature, Cues are a bit more delicate than Courgettes despite being in the same family. Usually, once they get to the 3/4 leaf stage the only thing that will do them is Slugs and Snails. Still plenty of time to re-sow and you will still get a crop.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Could be the temperature, Cues are a bit more delicate than Courgettes despite being in the same family. Usually, once they get to the 3/4 leaf stage the only thing that will do them is Slugs and Snails. Still plenty of time to re-sow and you will still get a crop.

Yep think that’s my option. Cheers

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's going to get pretty chilly from tomorrow for a few days so just hold out until after then.

Plant sweetcorn as normal. They are a member of the grass family and should be planted in blocks of at least 4 or more as they are wind pollenated. Planting in blocks (as opposed to lines) will give them a better chance of setting fruit.

I used to plant about 15 plants in a rectangle..... usually ended up having to eat about 45 cobs in about a fortnight before they went starchy. I don't grow them any more !

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here