Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners Question Time.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Along the London road, bottom of South street by the traffic lights. there's an absolutely beautiful Paulownia growing out of the road!!! It's about 4 foot high and has huge leaves :lolol:
I saw that today and was telling Mrs Wz about it :lolol:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Yes, tiny plants. Green but that's it. I mean by tiny, 20 leafs each plant
And are they a climber? I don't like sweet potatoes but bought one from Sainsbury's or something about twenty years ago. It grew from the tuber and made a plant about ten feet tall. The leaves were attractive and there were many, they were not 'tropical' large, but they were from memory about 4 to 6 inches wide with pleasantly shaped 'lobed' leaves.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
20230830_120735.jpg

In a customers garden in Pevensey Bay.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
@Green Cross Code Man did you watch this evening’s Gardeners World?

Not my style of gardening, but 47 minutes in there was a stunning exotics back garden in Yorkshire. Great planting and it very much had that feeling of adventure.
No, I very rarely watch it these days as my garden is so niche. I will though on iplayer, thanks!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Not my style of gardening, but 47 minutes in there was a stunning exotics back garden in Yorkshire. Great planting and it very much had that feeling of adventure.
Just watched it. Lovely! I remember watching something on youtube from his channel way back. His garden has matured a long way since and is truly impressive. I recognise a lot of what I grow but his scope is better as he has a larger plot than mine. I love all the colour, that is difficult here for me as there is so much shade and the planting is very close. It's a constant job for me, thinning the upper canopy to let light down to the ground. Thanks again!

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Seems like I rarely find any bargains these days but I found this 160cm Acer Seiryu for £30, they are quite fast growers so should hit 3m in a few years

Attachments

• 20230909_082759.jpg
    20230909_082759.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 43

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean

I've known about Yorkshire Kris for quite a few years, since the days of the now gone Hardy tropicals UK forum and more recently European Palm Society plus a few others, and his Youtube channel. A very knowledgeable bloke, but his earlier videos were reminiscent of Sheldon Cooper and fun with flags!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I've known about Yorkshire Kris for quite a few years, since the days of the now gone Hardy tropicals UK forum and more recently European Palm Society plus a few others, and his Youtube channel. A very knowledgeable bloke, but his earlier videos were reminiscent of Sheldon Cooper and fun with flags!
I occasionally used to post on hardy tropicals, but much more on Paul Spracklin's UK Oasis. Sadly not existent any longer but many folk went to Growing on the edge.

Btw, did you see my post about the Phyllostachys the other day? I hoped it may save you some trouble.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
A bit of advice would be appreciated if possible.

I planted two Virbunum Tinus' in late spring. One cheap one in a 5l pot and another expensive one in a 15l pot.

The smaller one has doubled in size and is very vigorous, the larger one has put on about 10% growth, the larger one gets slightly less sun but probably only about an hour less per day, the larger one has a bit of partial shade from an Acer.

Is it simply the sun that's made the difference or the fact that they grow slower when smaller???

Attachments

• 20230913_190324.jpg
    20230913_190324.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 42
  • 20230913_190313.jpg
    20230913_190313.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 34

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
That is some haul nice!

However sorry to be the harbinger of bad news, but the Phyllostachys is almost a pointless exercise. Mine put out it's thickest culms this year, only around an inch or so diameter but nonetheless I was pleased. Then to my horror I noticed some of the older culms had branches that had flowers. Really gutted, and I suspect you know that your plants will cling on a few years and then eventually give up the ghost. Perhaps you'll get some viable seed and then a decent new plant or two of your own though. I am curious as to whether any juveniles will be black as the nigra variety is a sport.
Now I've seen your post!
My sisters p. nigra is in flower and has been for nearly a year. The clumps I've acquired aren't yet, but it comes true to seed apparently...well according to data from the last flowering event. It's not a gregarious flowerer, as in not a worldwide event, so I'm hopeful

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

I planted two Virbunum Tinus' in late spring. One cheap one in a 5l pot and another expensive one in a 15l pot.

The smaller one has doubled in size and is very vigorous, the larger one has put on about 10% growth, the larger one gets slightly less sun but probably only about an hour less per day, the larger one has a bit of partial shade from an Acer.

Is it simply the sun that's made the difference or the fact that they grow slower when smaller???
They grow about 9" to 12" a year, regardless of the size. Is it that the small one looks like it has doubled in size because it isn't very big in the first place, whilst the big one looks like it hasn't grown as much, even though they've both put on similar growth?
They don't mind shade, so I doubt if that's the problem. The soil texture could be slightly different for each one?
Have you watered them the same? The bigger one would want a little more than the smaller one.
The bigger one may have been a bit pot-bound and hasn't rooted in to your soil enough yet?
They say that smaller shrubs will catch up in size with bigger ones if bought in pots. Cheaper to buy smaller ones obviously, too.
Regardless, once they've got through the winter, they should both romp next year.
I wouldn't worry about them.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean

Believe it or not, smaller plants can establish much quicker than ones in bigger pots. Don't know why, but they could be more 'active'. A bit like teenagers and sensible people I suppose!

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
They grow about 9" to 12" a year, regardless of the size. Is it that the small one looks like it has doubled in size because it isn't very big in the first place, whilst the big one looks like it hasn't grown as much, even though they've both put on similar growth?
They don't mind shade, so I doubt if that's the problem. The soil texture could be slightly different for each one?
Have you watered them the same? The bigger one would want a little more than the smaller one.
The bigger one may have been a bit pot-bound and hasn't rooted in to your soil enough yet?
They say that smaller shrubs will catch up in size with bigger ones if bought in pots. Cheaper to buy smaller ones obviously, too.
Regardless, once they've got through the winter, they should both romp next year.
I wouldn't worry about them.

I'd say the smaller one has put on almost 18 inches of growth, the larger maybe 3 inches, the difference in new growth is very pronounced.

Maybe I've been inadvertently watering the other less, I've planted a privet hedge next to the slower growing one so maybe they are drawing moisture?

I hadn't considered the root ball, the larger one was definitely pretty bound and it's on the site of an old compost heap which might mean the roots haven't been encouraged to spread?

I guess I'll have to be a bit more patient, which isn't in my nature. I planted the hedge for the birds/wildlife and was hoping it would be teeming with life next spring. The privet has gone mental!!!

Thanks for your sharing your thoughts

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Believe it or not, smaller plants can establish much quicker than ones in bigger pots. Don't know why, but they could be more 'active'. A bit like teenagers and sensible people I suppose!

This is what I was hoping, just a bit frustrating when the little one that cost £12 is out performing his big brother that cost £40!!

I love the plant, particularly in winter when they're in flower and everything else is dormant. I brushed past one at a local garden and about 30 birds flew out and I've been desperately trying to recreate the habitat ever since.....May just have to wait a few seasons I guess!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here