Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners Question Time.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Shoreham beach looks amazing with all the Valerian in flower.

Attachments

• Valerian.JPG
    Valerian.JPG
    195.9 KB · Views: 90

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Ah, centranthus. The only plant I know that can outgrow bindweed.
I have a garden full of both:(

Ah, Convolvulus, the only plant I know that can outgrow Centranthus. I too have both.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Peony update - year three!

Curiously the two in pots are all bushy, and the two in the border have long stems - presumably this is just a coincidence, and down to the variety?

p1.JPGP2.JPGP3.JPG

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

They're stunners aren't they. I do love plants just doing their own thing.

The the best 'doers' in our small patio garden are the Valerians, Toadflax and Mexican Fleabane. All self seeded and all 'weeded' selectively.

It's the same at work on the veg patch. Sunflowers, Fennel and Calendula seed all over the place and we only take out selectively, leaving the rest to pretty the place up and bring in the insects.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
IMG_20220509_102713_1-min.jpg

This is from the other week. Even makes me like the sunshine! :wink:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Peony update - year three!

Curiously the two in pots are all bushy, and the two in the border have long stems - presumably this is just a coincidence, and down to the variety?

View attachment 148669View attachment 148670View attachment 148671
As well as different varieties, location can also slightly change growth habits and flowering time on some plants. I don't know much about Peonies though, other than that I like them and that they
generally need staking.

Are the ones in pots in full sun, whilst the ones in the border more shaded?

That's two nice different varieties you have going on there though isn't it?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
As well as different varieties, location can also slightly change growth habits and flowering time on some plants. I don't know much about Peonies though, other than that I like them and that they
generally need staking.

Are the ones in pots in full sun, whilst the ones in the border more shaded?

That's two nice different varieties you have going on there though isn't it?

We have a pot out the back of the house (pictured) which gets a lot of sun, and one at the front that gets much less, but both look very similar.
The border ones are in sun.

There were three varieties in the pack I bought but it wasn't clear which was which.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
We have a pot out the back of the house (pictured) which gets a lot of sun, and one at the front that gets much less, but both look very similar.
The border ones are in sun.

There were three varieties in the pack I bought but it wasn't clear which was which.

That'll be your answer then I suppose. Different varieties.

A brief bit of reading says there are three different forms too. All with different growth habits.

Herbaceous
Tree
Hybrid of the two.

Maybe you've got a proper mixed bag going on :thumbsup: Ideal for giving a longer flowering season maybe.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
A snap shot of my 'office' space today. The Rambling Rector giving it plenty and the Wood Pigeon nesting in it is on her second brood already.IMG_20220609_100758-min.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Did I plant this or am I hoeing it into next Tuesday?

IMG_20220618_143524_441~2.jpg

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Euphorbia lathyris, probably. Annual type which I think is called caper spurge.
When pulling these up be careful of the milky sap, it can cause a stinging, blistery reaction to the skin

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Did I plant this or am I hoeing it into next Tuesday?

View attachment 148943

How's the stuff you planted recently Stat? Hope you're watering like buggery, and you're obviously hoeing each week?
Don't water directly after you've hoed, or a lot of the plants will root back in.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I've finally succumbed to Elephant Ears :(

I was never really a fan but seeing Stat's earlier project posts reminded me that I had a similar problem with wild garlic in a bit of very very shady problematic bed under a lilac bush. I finally got round to flamethrowing it and was about to follow Stat's preferred solution of concrete when it occurred to me that Elephant Ears may be a slightly more colourful solution. Fingers crossed.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How's the stuff you planted recently Stat? Hope you're watering like buggery, and you're obviously hoeing each week?
Don't water directly after you've hoed, or a lot of the plants will root back in.

Hoe before work.
Water after work.

All going according to plan.
The stuff on the right (West facing) is going nuts.
The left side is more restrained.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I've finally succumbed to Elephant Ears :(

I was never really a fan but seeing Stat's earlier project posts reminded me that I had a similar problem with wild garlic in a bit of very very shady problematic bed under a lilac bush. I finally got round to flamethrowing it and was about to follow Stat's preferred solution of concrete when it occurred to me that Elephant Ears may be a slightly more colourful solution. Fingers crossed.

I do hope you mean these!:p
esculenta.JPG

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Euphorbia lathyris, probably. Annual type which I think is called caper spurge.
When pulling these up be careful of the milky sap, it can cause a stinging, blistery reaction to the skin

Euphorbias are the Devils own weed. 20 years ago we had a couple of them, now it is everywhere.

Only good thing in our garden is I have pretty well diverted it (via digging out) to compete and beat up our horrible Ground Elder, so everything has a use...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here