Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners Question Time.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The silvery ones are the males and the females are usually a bit browner. I have had a very silver one, a black one and a fair few dark brown. I think the coppery ones are a few years old (note they can live 20 years if lucky) but there are all sorts of patterning/colours due to local variations.

View attachment 144746 there is a newt just hiding next to the brown one

I did find 3 just born slowworms in the garden one summer, they were in a line in the grass edging at the bottom of a sunny wall about a foot a part. I was checking the edges before strimming.....These are a gold colour

View attachment 144747 the female is pregnant so they young one is from at least the previous year. these two were next to the 4 or 5 in the original picture

I assume you must live over Shoreham beach way for the wall lizards ( let me know if not) as that is teh only place I have seen them... Its strange I had some as a kid in the 60's as you could buy them then. They were outside getting some sun and they jumped out of the tank to my astonishment and disappeared.

View attachment 144744

Used to be loads of common lizards in Woodingdean but very few there now as their habitat was bulldozed and built on..

View attachment 144745

I live in Worthing and my allotment is in West Worthing, the lizards arrived about 20 years ago and slowly have increased in numbers and their activity has slowly increased as their tolerance to our cooler temperatures has improved. They now seem active for nine months of the year whereas they seemed to be only active during summer previously.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I live in Worthing and my allotment is in West Worthing, the lizards arrived about 20 years ago and slowly have increased in numbers and their activity has slowly increased as their tolerance to our cooler temperatures has improved. They now seem active for nine months of the year whereas they seemed to be only active during summer previously.

That's really interesting so I wonder if have they have spread from the Shoreham beach community or is it a separate development. Do you have any pics ? Are they definitely wall lizards and not sand lizards which are native? can you PM me a rough location as i might take a look one day.

Maybe its global warming... I saw someone had posted a pic of a common lizard sunbathing the other day its been that warm. I have had newts in the pond since early January and the frogs are already frisky...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Really pleased with my first ever tulips, Apricot Impression:

14C9E502-B974-4008-8BDF-040EC3B4DCDA.png

The rear lawn’s looking not to shabby:

B6F963AD-0040-4BF5-8A6E-6B0247C16D4C.png

The fence was my work too. It’s actually the neighbour’s, but they were too tight to replace a collapsing structure.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Nice job of the close-board fencing. Not easy.

I'm just a pen-pusher by day, so I was relieved to make no faux pas.

It was a 125' run, I had practice in doing the other boundary 4 years ago.

The hard work was digging out random old concrete footings, also sawing through huge green-wood buttress roots to trees. [I knew the trick about making a slightly different run of posts to avoid old footings, but there were so many from 80 years worth of fencing projects]. Not being my day job, for my sins, I enjoy garden and landscaping projects.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
That's really interesting so I wonder if have they have spread from the Shoreham beach community or is it a separate development. Do you have any pics ? Are they definitely wall lizards and not sand lizards which are native? can you PM me a rough location as i might take a look one day.

Maybe its global warming... I saw someone had posted a pic of a common lizard sunbathing the other day its been that warm. I have had newts in the pond since early January and the frogs are already frisky...

Sorry, I must have missed this reply last month, yes happy to take some photo's and post them here. Was up plot this morning and had all sizes running around some very stubby ones minus their tails !

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A timely appearance of this thread.

Guess who else reappeared today

IMG_20220325_160142_763~2.jpg

CHRIS

Clearly it's taken him a couple of months to find me, after the move.
(Time he seems to have spent in the gym - Chris is looking well hench)

Anyhoo it's nice to have the family back under one roof.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Sorry, I must have missed this reply last month, yes happy to take some photo's and post them here. Was up plot this morning and had all sizes running around some very stubby ones minus their tails !

Thanks lizards are one of my favourites...used to have lots of common lizards...

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

View attachment 146329

CHRIS

That's the best news I've had this week. I can't tell you how pleased and relieved I am, to know Chris is back home. Thanks for sharing.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

View attachment 146329

CHRIS

Yellow, YELLOW, YELLOW

This year's first poppy will be yellow, I'd stake my house on it :dunce:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yellow, YELLOW, YELLOW

This year's first poppy will be yellow, I'd stake my house on it :dunce:

No poppies this year.
I've only spent one day (this Tuesday) ripping the poop out of the back garden, but don't intent to get back there for a few more weeks.

It was in a very bad way, the wild garlic is insane.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Thanks lizards are one of my favourites...used to have lots of common lizards...
These are from today, the little sods don't let you get close easily...20220326_123551.jpg20220326_123515.jpg20220326_113236.jpg20220326_105603.jpg

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
well it looks like the colony is a mixed one as first two are common lizards the other two are definitely wall lizards ... any slow worms out yet? Mine have not appeared in my compost pile ....

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
well it looks like the colony is a mixed one as first two are common lizards the other two are definitely wall lizards ... any slow worms out yet? Mine have not appeared in my compost pile ....

Ah, but they pretty much all look the same, these were shots from a polytunnel and a lean-to greenhouse so the light was different and I had the camera on my phone on maximum zoom as I can't get close to the little sods !

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Not seen Slow Worms yet, i have been digging out my compost heap and so it has been left uncovered... if I cover it I would expect Slow Worms as there is a healthy local population.... Interestingly, you notice colour differences in Slow Worms here, the older ones are more silvery while the quite young and smallish ones are more copper coloured with a black stripe down their backs.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
roughly speaking where is this ?

West Tarring allotments , just north of the railway line of West Worthing Social Club, or, the other side, the corner or Princess Avenue and Canterbury Road on Google maps.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Can I call on the NSC hive mind to answer a tree question?

This poor thing has been feeble for the first three years we were here. I moved another tree that was crowding it two years ago and also cut out diseased stems and branches. This year the love seems to be paying off. It didn't flower like mad, but it did flower all over and is now going to leaf. Could be a cherry maybe? Anyone know? I beleive the configuration of the flowers is a clue - but don't know my trees well enough to say.

20220320_124417.jpg

20220320_124447.jpg

20220320_124431.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You probably should have cut that one down too, then replaced them both with some beautiful concrete.
Bish bosh - job done - everybody happy.

Bloody Chris yesterday.

Popped in through the open backdoor.
A couple of laps round the lounge.
Then flew straight out the lounge window.

Just using my house as a freakin short cut.

Cheeky b*****d.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Can I call on the NSC hive mind to answer a tree question?

This poor thing has been feeble for the first three years we were here. I moved another tree that was crowding it two years ago and also cut out diseased stems and branches. This year the love seems to be paying off. It didn't flower like mad, but it did flower all over and is now going to leaf. Could be a cherry maybe? Anyone know? I beleive the configuration of the flowers is a clue - but don't know my trees well enough to say.

View attachment 146457

View attachment 146458

View attachment 146459

I'm going Prunus avium (Wild Cherry).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prunus_avium

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here