Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Friendliest fans

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Generally speaking the further north you get the more willing folk are to engage.

Travelled everywhere with brighton back in the day(before other things in life took over and settling back down here) and I'd say that really isn't true, not imo anyway. Lots of very friendly folk very willing to engage up and down the country but especially in the smaller lower league towns - places like Plymouth etc down south just as friendly and knowledgable about us as anywhere ive been up north. Also had some shit experiences on occassion up north - remember getting really grim homophobic abuse in many-a northern town for example, Hull springs to mind, Carlisle and Preston one evening game we got beat too

Feel like I often have to defend the south on here when these kind of threads crop up, but for me, having lived up north and back down here and having followed Albion a lot all over, there's friendly, engaging folk everywhere and not so everywhere.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Travelled everywhere with brighton back in the day(before other things in life took over and settling back down here) and I'd say that really isn't true, not imo anyway. Lots of very friendly folk very willing to engage up and down the country but especially in the smaller lower league towns - places like Plymouth etc down south just as friendly and knowledgable about us as anywhere ive been up north. Also had some shit experiences on occassion up north - remember getting really grim homophobic abuse in many-a northern town for example, Hull springs to mind, Carlisle and Preston one evening game we got beat too

Feel like I often have to defend the south on here when these kind of threads crop up, but for me, having lived up north and back down here and having followed Albion a lot all over, there's friendly, engaging folk everywhere and not so everywhere.
I would say that wherever you go, if you're positive and open minded (and reasonably sensible with your pub choices) you'll meet nice people.

el punal

I treat other teams’ fans with respect, as I would expect the same in return. On that basis I‘ve never had any problems with opposition supporters over the years. I’ve had great chats with fans from clubs with a ‘reputation’ - Stoke and Burnley. Nearer to home Saints and Pompey have been enjoyable. Top of my list for being the friendliest are Liverpool and Newcastle fans - always complimentary and helpful.

On the other side of the coin I have found, like many, Man Utd and Tottenham fans the most arrogant and condescending. They can never accept that sometimes li’l ol Brighton are the better team when we play them. As for entitlement kings - that goes to Chelsea.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
In my days of going to every away game before we were promoted to the prem, we had good times at stoke ( the big social club by the ground) Liverpool( the pub opposite anfield memorial) rotherham Burnley in the cricket club, Northampton Exeter Charlton orient…. Worst was Sunderland , most London clubs, reading, Lincoln Coventry

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Been to Burnely three times in recent years (may well be the last three times we've been there outside of covid restrictions, I'm not sure) and have always found everybody very friendly and helpful.
I made it there for the first time this season and thought all the locals I met were great. The only spoiler on the day was the behaviour of a few of our own fans, unfortunately, who had no idea what consideration for others actually means and were basically just gobshites.

Everton was also a great friendly day out this year.

In the past 10 years, I’d say my interactions with opposing supporters has nearly always been positive. It’s really refreshing when I consider what it was like when I first started going home and away back in the 70s.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I made it there for the first time this season and thought all the locals I met were great. The only spoiler on the day was the behaviour of a few of our own fans, unfortunately, who had no idea what consideration for others actually means and were basically just gobshites.

Everton was also a great friendly day out this year.

In the past 10 years, I’d say my interactions with opposing supporters has nearly always been positive. It’s really refreshing when I consider what it was like when I first started going home and away back in the 70s.
We really do seem to have attracted our own share of dicks and entitled twats

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Living and working in Manchester my judgment might be a bit clouded, but I've always found Manchester City fans to be a nice bunch. I work with a mix of United and City fans, and I don't think it's a coincidence that despite getting along with everyone, it's the City bunch that I'd much prefer going to the pub with.

pigmanovich

Mar 16, 2024
London
The Grimsby fans I spoke to for our FA Cup game last year all seemed a nice lot. Worst by far i've experienced was Man United also in the FA Cup. So many incredibly arrogant fans, so many of them getting in Albion fans faces trying to start arguments/fights, and so many of them giving the usual homophobic crap.
After Manure away in September, one of their fans put his arm around me on the street and rubbed the club crest on my shirt. I asked him if it was for good luck before facing Bayern in the CL, and he lost his shit :lolol: Hope that exchange stuck in the memory for a little while.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
No, I save that pleasure for online users who behave like juvenile twats :wink:

IRL - I get on with football fans of any team I meet because most just love football, it’s just a shame some (ie a few) of the Brighton fans I know have become entitled and bullyish pr!cks.
My concern is that after 50 years of following the Albion, I can safely say it’s currently off the scale worse than I can remember. It was the first time I’ve been abused and threatened by other Albion fans.
I don’t get to many aways the last one was Arsenal in the cup thought some of our fans were a disgrace to our own elder fans who couldn’t see the game due to twats standing in front of them. I guess that’s more of a society issue no respect for your elders.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here