Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] France just what's going on?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
So the working class are technically to blame for not rioting ?
Pretty sure that’s not what I said. I didn’t make a judgement on anyone for rioting or otherwise, only that it’s perhaps surprising it hasn’t happened more.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Unfortunately, many of the people of France (not just the rioters) don't share your confidence illegal police activities will be dealt with.

They have one of the worst records in the entirety of Europe for brutality without judicial review or oversight which is quite something given the reputation of some Eastern European police. There's a large number of civil cases brought against them every year to try and get some kind of justice. Their role is quasi-military, to protect and serve the Republic and state (not it's people) and the concept of "community policing" is almost non-existent. The UN HCR among many other external bodies says the French police are excessive in their use of force...

If there's any good to come of this case now it's that some are saying it could be a turning point, finally.

Our ex-Parisian French neighbour has been telling us this for years. She loathes the widespread racism in France, including from their various police forces. Her overriding point is that millions from ethnic minorities live on huge Carbusier-esque sink estates on the edge of the cities, without a hope of proper careers or being accepted in general society.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Flagship

Jan 15, 2018
Brighton
What struck me as a bit odd was the dead boy's mother being paraded around the streets of Paris first pumping and seemingly happy with her notoriety. If she was heartbroken, she had a strange way of showing it.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Having lived in France for a number of years now, it's interesting to see the many views of UK residents on this thread.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What struck me as a bit odd was the dead boy's mother being paraded around the streets of Paris first pumping and seemingly happy with her notoriety. If she was heartbroken, she had a strange way of showing it.
Heartless. Didn't deserve to have a child. Just goes to show these Algerians don't deserve any sympathy.

Unless....you have misunderstood something. But is that even possible?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Nope, just from what I’ve read on the BBC news website regarding this specific case.
See post #5. "He was the 14th person to be killed by the police at traffic stops in the past 18 months."

This is not an isolated episode. This policeman is the first to be charged - but only because it was filmed.

I lived in London when years of 'stop and search', the death of Blair Peach (who was white - but lefty-scum) by police truncheon, the false conviction of George Lindo, and many, many other incidents occurred (I was a victim myself in 77, but luckily only threatened and abused by a policeman). This meant that lots of youth though 'f*** it'. I lived in Edgeware in the early 80s and watched a gang of white youth chucking a bin through a shop window, while Brixton was burning. In Edgeware. Yes, elements of the youth just lose their shit and do incoherent mad things, looking for release.

Slowly, with numerous setbacks, we have moved forward. As others have said, rioting youth is rare as rocking horse shit these days.

This has nothing to do with frank criminality. That is always there, and by around 81 we had the big 'yardie' scare, and petty criminality and vandalism, isolated and sometimes organized racist violence (from white and black) all bubbling under, but this is separate. It is not a national phenomenon, headless, mad, primal and amateur.

When amateurs are at it, going f***ing mental, you have a problem. France has a problem

Last edited:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Good point.

How about we all work to prevent it happening in the UK by giving young and marginalised people the same opportunities to succeed in life that their parents had? Free education at university / free vocational education (doctors, nurses etc) would be a good thing to bring back first like their parents and grandparents had so let's increase taxes to enable that. It's mad that my cousin has trained to be a doctor and left with nearly 90k in debt, totally unavoidably.

We'd have to dramatically reduce property prices too - average house price is 9 times average income which is the highest multiplier it's been since pretty much 1901. Anyone who bought a house between 1957 and 1999 had it easy by comparison however much they want to tell us it was hard. Relatively it wasn't for the majority of the population compared to today. That's just plain facts. Maybe a cap on house prices? Bigger capital gains tax? Huge inheritance tax on property to fund building? What do you recommend?

Better health too. Free dentistry for example, shorter waiting lists like the older generation (including me for much of my life) has had it. Another increase in taxes but it's important to give people the same opportunities for success we had, not to pull the ladder up and then somehow make out it's them that is at fault and we just grafted. We did that too, of course we did, but we had it easier.

Where do I sign up?
Free Uni education sounds cool, for the same proportion of the population as received it back in the 70/80s.

That will be about 10%, everyone else can go down the mines.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
I wonder if we will see community groups and business owners forming groups to patrol and protect their property and business from these rioters, arsonists and thieves?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
See post #5. "He was the 14th person to be killed by the police at traffic stops in the past 18 months."

This is not an isolated episode. This policeman is the first to be charged - but only because it was filmed.

I lived in London when years of 'stop and search', the death of Blair Peach (who was white - but lefty-scum) by police truncheon, the false conviction of George Lindo, and many, many other incidents occurred (I was a victim myself in 77, but luckily only threatened and abused by a policeman). This meant that lots of youth though 'f*** it'. I lived in Edgeware in the early 80s and watched a gang of white youth chucking a bin through a shop window, while Brixton was burning. In Edgeware. Yes, elements of the youth just lose their shit and do incoherent mad things, looking for release.

Slowly, with numerous setbacks, we have moved forward. As others have said, rioting youth is rare as rocking horse shit these days.

This has nothing to do with frank criminality. That is always there, and by around 81 we had the big 'yardie' scare, and petty criminality and vandalism, isolated and sometimes organized racist violence (from white and black) all bubbling under, but this is separate. It is not a national phenomenon, headless, mad, primal and amateur.

When amateurs are at it, going f***ing mental, you have a problem. France has a problem
Have you news on the outcomes of the other 14 cases that you mentioned earlier Harry?

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
Having lived in France for a number of years now, it's interesting to see the many views of UK residents on this thread.
The same with me.......the French Gendarmarie are a branch of the Army, whereas the Police Nationale is self defining. Whether it be the "Yellow Jacket" Brigade , or whoever, the French know how to demonstrate, like it or loathe it...................found it amusing that whilst all this was going on, Macron was at an Elton John gig...............

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Have you news on the outcomes of the other 14 cases that you mentioned earlier Harry?
I was quoting another poster. One who I respect (because of the hundreds of posts of his I have read, which are all measured and informed). In fairness, he could have made it all up. I did a 3 minute search but couldn't find the relevant info. I'll go back to post #5 and ask him :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This. He was the 14th person to be killed by the police at traffic stops in the past 18 months.
Hi. Several have asked me for the data on these, and info on whether any police were charged and convicted. Do you happen to have the info? Or links?

I presume that if all were tried, convicted and given a hefty sentence it would mean that the French policing framework and legal system works a bit better than many of us have found ourselves inclined to believe.

Thanks in advance. HWT.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Hi. Several have asked me for the data on these, and info on whether any police were charged and convicted. Do you happen to have the info? Or links?

I presume that if all were tried, convicted and given a hefty sentence it would mean that the French policing framework and legal system works a bit better than many of us have found ourselves inclined to believe.

Thanks in advance. HWT.

Currently, in a wine bar, Harry. Will get back to you tomorrow.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Currently, in a wine bar, Harry. Will get back to you tomorrow.
In France. Yes, you did mention. Have a great evening :thumbsup:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

6m folk live in these vast sink estates on city fringes, the Banlieue, with 40% to 60% unemployment among the young, the majority have ancestry in Africa and are excluded from French society.

Shirley melting pots for mass rioting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here