Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

for us children of the 60/70's.

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Lord Bracknell said:
We certainly had the Corona pop man in Newport. Four bottles in a wooden crate. They had to last a week.

Very strangely, my Dad said exactly the same thing the other day. Corona pop man in Newport, going around the Alway and Bettws estates during the 60s. We're not related are we? :dunce:

WiltsRoyal said:
Very strangely, my Dad said exactly the same thing the other day. Corona pop man in Newport, going around the Alway and Bettws estates during the 60s. We're not related are we? :dunce:

I doubt it. I was a St Julians boy. But I do remember playing a trial match at Alway for the Newport Primary Schools team.

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
I doubt it. I was a St Julians boy. But I do remember playing a trial match at Alway for the Newport Primary Schools team

Ah... my Dad was a Hartridge boy, I think St. Julians was the rival. Hartridge used to be a grammar school I think, but has now turned to shit.

Met a well fit bird once whose Dad went to St Julians. Then my Dad knew him, and they met up and shared memories. This meant sadly me and the bird had nowt in common, and with the Dads knowing each other it was destined for failure. Dammit. Bloody parents getting in the way of things. :mad:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Man, page 2 is making me feel quite young!!! Cheers guys!!!

The thing I remember about the 70's was that we always used to go and visit my Nan down Roedale Road, she had an outside toilet and a tin bath. We'd have a cup of tea, and my sister and I would play with a box of toys while Mum and Nan chatted. Then we'd go across the road to my Aunt's house, several other Aunts, Uncles, and cousins would always turn up. We'd play with the dog a while, and then go and watch Doctor Who from behind the sofa, and stuff like Buck Rogers, Metal Mickey or 3-2-1. Then my Dad would turn up from the Goldstone, with a match programme under his arm, and we'd all sit down to a proper teatime spread.

I miss those family gatherings. They were comforting and safe...

:)

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
When I look back at childhood I am amazed any of us survived. And to remember them, not everyone did. One car accident and one motor-bike accident did for two friends.

I suspect our kids will feel the same.

I was speaking to this lad about his paper-round, and he said it had 15 papers. Fifteen papers ? Hells teeth. For those that know Rottingdean I used to do Dean Court Road on a Sunday. That was a paper round. You try telling them ........

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Paper rounds, Jesus.

For those that know Hollingdean, I did Stevens Road, right down the length of Uplands Road etc and Brentwood Road. It took me about 1hr 30min and I ran all the way round. Nowadays I wouldn't walk that far unless I was having a round of golf. I got a quid a day for that, plus about £3.50 for delivering the property news once a week.

And big Dave is complaining about £500 a week. Honestly.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
YES! I can relate Curious Orange!!

My Nan used to have an outside laundry with a wringer and a twin tub! Scared the heck out of me those two things....but she also had an outside loo - which in Australia can be deadly...if I was busting in the night - I'd prefer to wet the bed - honestly!

We used to be allowed to watch the world around us on ABC on Sunday nights at Nana's (we never had a tv when I was growing up) and then she'd serve us stew and bread and butter....and then we'd fall asleep in the car on the way home - and it was all of a 10 minute drive....

I want my Nana back... :(

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
Hannibal smith said:
Paper rounds, Jesus.

For those that know Hollingdean, I did Stevens Road, right down the length of Uplands Road etc and Brentwood Road. It took me about 1hr 30min and I ran all the way round. Nowadays I wouldn't walk that far unless I was having a round of golf. I got a quid a day for that, plus about £3.50 for delivering the property news once a week.

And big Dave is complaining about £500 a week. Honestly.

I used to do my argus paper round in Roedale road and dudley road 42 papers hated thursdays (jobs Day) paper was 10 times heaver.

I did a morning round once but it was so long i had to give it up as i was late for school! .it was all of bursted Closed, brentwood road,brentwood crescent, stephen roads and all the dodgy flats in tavistock down.

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
Danny Seagull said:
Indeed. Although I bet you received a generous Christmas box, it's a very posh area!

i always found the posh houses were shit tippers at crimbo ,you used to get more money from the council houses.
apart fro the Hollingbury pub who gave me £5, that was more than i earned on my paper round all week!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Mr Popkins said:
I used to do my argus paper round in Roedale road and dudley road 42 papers hated thursdays (jobs Day) paper was 10 times heaver.

I did a morning round once but it was so long i had to give it up as i was late for school! .it was all of bursted Closed, brentwood road,brentwood crescent, stephen roads and all the dodgy flats in tavistock down.

My Aunt has a book which shows a picture of Hollingdean when it consisted just of Payne Terrace. Now that would have been an easy paper round!!!!!

:D

Ah those were the days eh? I can relate to many of the things mentioned here.
Myself & a mate caught the train from Bexhill to Hove by ourselves at the age of eleven to see our first Albion game. My son is nearly twelve now. NO WAY would I be comfortable about him having the freedom that I had at the same age.

As we got older, the tradition when traveling home from an Albion game was to see how many carriage light bulbs we could lob at the houses below from the Lewes road viaduct. Come to think of it, we were horrible little shits. :rolleyes:

I hang my head in shame! :angel:

Wienergull

Geht in Ordnung
Jul 10, 2003
Berlin Mitte
Blackadder said:
Did anyone collect cards in those days? My first set was The American Civil War series. You got 2 cards, a piece of chewing gum and some confederate money in each pack. There were 88 cards in the series. I found a website that had copies of all the old cards the other day. [/B]

God, I used to collect those cards too. When did they come out? About 1965? Pretty gory as I recall, with pictures of soldiers impaled on spikes and the like. Mind you, I was taken to see Zulu and Lawrence of Arabia at the tender age of 7, so I must have been pretty hardened to the violence (Still hid behind the sofa during Dr Who though.)

I remember reading a novel which came out in the late '80s which gloriously evoked my childhood days (snake belts, small boys for goalposts etc). I can't remember the title now, but it was a bit like Roddy Doyle's Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha, only set in England. Can any of NSC's literati help? I think it may have won the Whitbread or some such prize (not the Booker).

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Wienergull said:
God, I used to collect those cards too. When did they come out? About 1965? Pretty gory as I recall, with pictures of soldiers impaled on spikes and the like. Mind you, I was taken to see Zulu and Lawrence of Arabia at the tender age of 7, so I must have been pretty hardened to the violence (Still hid behind the sofa during Dr Who though.)

I remember reading a novel which came out in the late '80s which gloriously evoked my childhood days (snake belts, small boys for goalposts etc). I can't remember the title now, but it was a bit like Roddy Doyle's Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha, only set in England. Can any of NSC's literati help? I think it may have won the Whitbread or some such prize (not the Booker).

Wienergull

Remember these?

Civil War Cards

I found another site with the writing on the back of the cards but it doesn't want to load at the moment. Most cards were called xxx of Death etc

Last edited:

Lord Cornwallis

Dust my pants
Jul 9, 2003
Across the pond
This thread just keeps getting better.

School trips anyone ? 5 Park Drive and a book of matches, drinking a bottle of Cidrax in the back of the bus thinking you were getting pissed.
Paper rounds, one and a tanner for a weeks work and a bag of papers that nearly broke your neck. There was an alley way between Lancing Park and West end Way on my round and half way down a bloke kept a gaggle of mad geese. In the dark winter mornings you could hear the bloody bruts, but coulden't see them. I used to get a flying start, head down, arse up and peddle like the clappers.
Going to visit my Nan was always a treat because she had LURPAK butter. Always had the proper tea and Grandad always thought it was hillarious to lean across for a slice of bread and butter and then slap you in the chops with it on the way past.

As for the civil war cards. I remember the one with the bloke and the broken off lance through him, like it was yesterday.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Talking of Corona Bottles I am sure me and my brother used to collect them up and get money back from the Newsagent ?

Anyone remeber that ?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Corona bottles had those tops like Grolsch bottles. Lemonade was yellow.

Lord Cornwallis

Dust my pants
Jul 9, 2003
Across the pond
We used to climb over the fence of the general store at the top of Western Road [Lancing] and pinch the empty R Whites bottles out of the crates, then go round the front and collect the sixpence or what ever it was. We thought it was a right good scam until I found him waiting for me in his back yard as I climbed the fence for the twelth time in half an hour.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
SEAGULL USA said:
We used to climb over the fence of the general store at the top of Western Road [Lancing] and pinch the empty R Whites bottles out of the crates, then go round the front and collect the sixpence or what ever it was. We thought it was a right good scam until I found him waiting for me in his back yard as I climbed the fence for the twelth time in half an hour.

In those days they were just little scams. Today they'd be on page 1, 2 or 4 of The Sun under the heading!

"SOCIAL WORKERS AND POLICE FAIL TO STOP JUVENILE DELINQUENTS IN NO-GO AREAS!"
:lolol: :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here