Film 2012

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
A new year is upon us, so it’s time to once again look forward to the year in movies.

Is this the year 3D gives up the ghost, or gets a foothold? What will be the year’s biggest hit, what will be the biggest disappointment?

Hollywood continues to churn out sequels, remakes, and adaptations, with occasional new content, so let’s take a look at what is in store for us this year...

Three Dimensions
The battle over 3D rages on, with big hitters like Chris Nolan steadfast against 3D, while powerful names such as Scorcese and Cameron are fully behind it. The studios also like it as the tickets are more expensive, and it is harder to pirate. Audiences are in decline for 3D films, but there are some big movies coming out in the format, not always with a 2D option, will this help 3D or hurt cinema in general?

This year sees some big movies released in 3D, both new and old with George Lucas starting an annual 3D re-release of his biggest franchise, Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999) - IMDb. Also coming to the 3D screens this year are: The Darkest Hour (2011) - IMDb, Underworld: Awakening (2012) - IMDb, Journey 2: The Mysterious Island (2012) - IMDb, Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (2012) - IMDb, Leatherface 3D (2012) - IMDb, Titanic (1997) - IMDb, The Cabin in the Woods (2012) - IMDb, The Avengers (2012) - IMDb, The Amazing Spider-Man (2012) - IMDb, and The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012) - IMDb among others, no doubt.

Sequels and Prequels
This year, as ever, sees a lot of sequels. Jason Segel writes and stars in The Muppets (2011) - IMDb, despite the critical drubbing of earlier entries, this year sees the cast return for Wrath of the Titans (2012) - IMDb, and G.I. Joe: Retaliation (2012) - IMDb

Apparently there is an audience for StreetDance 2 (2012) - IMDb and Step Up 4 (2012) - IMDb

Josh Brolin plays a young K in a time travel themed Men in Black III (2012) - IMDb. Another dormant franchise returns as Ridley Scott brings us the prequel to Alien in Prometheus (2012) - IMDb.

The kids get their share of sequels with Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days (2012) - IMDb, Madagascar 3: Europes Most Wanted (2012) - IMDb, and IMDb - Ice Age: Continental Drift (2012)

Nativity, seen this Christmas just gone on TV, didn’t make great waves in the cinema, so it is a little surprising to see a sequel, this time starring David Tennant as a new teacher taking his class on a road trip in Nativity 2: The Second Coming (2012) - IMDb

For the rest of us we have The Bourne Legacy (2012) - IMDb, Resident Evil: Retribution (2012) - IMDb, The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2 (2012) - IMDb, The Dark Knight Rises (2012) - IMDb, Skyfall (2012) - IMDb, and Untitled Taken Sequel (2012) - IMDb

Adaptation
Adaptations are popular, as ever.

Following last year’s Red Riding Hod adaptation, there is a run of fairytale movies. Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters (2012) - IMDb, Mirror Mirror (2012) - IMDb, Snow White and the Huntsman (2012) - IMDb, and Jack the Giant Killer (2012) - IMDb.

Television shows are also represented with big screen adaptations for IMDb - 21 Jump Street (2012), Cavegirl the Movie (2012) - IMDb, and The Sweeney (2012) - IMDb

Stage shows, books and stage shows based on books, also see adaptations with Uncle Spielberg’s pick War Horse (2011) - IMDb first up this month. Ralph Fiennes gets in the director’s seat for Coriolanus (2011) - IMDb, Daniel Radcliffe tries to shed the shadow of Potter with The Woman in Black (2012) - IMDb.

In an effort to find the next Potter/Twilight-ish franchise, this year sees The Hunger Games (2012) - IMDb, the first film from a series of books. Similarities are drawn to Battle Royale as a group of kids are forced to fight to the death live on television, though this is likely to be PG and not as graphic as BR.

The Three Stooges (2012) - IMDb sees an attempt to bring back to life iconic American Comedians.

This year’s big musical release is Rock of Ages (2012) - IMDb.

Following on from The Grinch and Horton Hears a Who this year sees IMDb - Dr. Seuss The Lorax (2012).

Based on the Philip K. Dick short story Total Recall (2012) - IMDb stars Colin Farrell. Unlike the Arnold/Verhoeven version, this time there is no visit to Mars, apparently.

The popular and somewhat culturally iconic novel of the same name Life of Pi (2012) - IMDb comes to the big screen.

After the success (at least financially) of Transformers and GI Joe, Hasbro again have their toys turned into a movie, this time the IMDb - Battleship (2012) brand is used to tell a story of alien invasion.

Animation
There seems to be a few animated movies that could be big films this year, and most of them are original stories.

From the makers of Chicken Run comes The Pirates! Band of Misfits (2012) - IMDb. Pixar brings us the a mix of Mulan and Braveheart with IMDb - Brave (2012).

Tim Burton returns to animation with Frankenweenie (2012) - IMDb. Also coming out with a similar dark theme is Hotel Transylvania (2012) - IMDb.

Christmas sees the release of Rise of the Guardians (2012) - IMDb telling the story of Santa, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy and Jack Frost teaming up to take on the Bogeyman.

Wreck-It Ralph (2012) - IMDb sees a computer game villain causing chaos at his arcade when he decides he wants to be a hero.

What I’m looking forward to
The Darkest Hour (2011) - IMDb
Although it is 3D, this looks visually interesting and fun. Electricity eating Aliens attack Moscow and a group of American tourists are left to fight back.
IMDb - Haywire (2011)
Steven Soderbergh, hot woman spy (Gina Carano) kicking ass in style, fighting a conspiracy. Michael Fassbender, in support. What more do you need? The CIA trained a female spy and now try to take her out. But don’t think of her as a woman, that would be a mistake.
A Dangerous Method (2011) - IMDb
Cronenberg directing Fassbender and Viggo Mortensen, with Keira Knightly being kinky. I’m in. A story about the relationship between Freud and Jung and the birth of psychoanalysis.
The Cabin in the Woods (2012) - IMDb
Joss Whedon wrote the script, which is a good sign. The trailer looks fun. A few recognisable faces from TV. A bunch of kids go ‘off the grid’ to the eponymous cabin to relax after college, only to find there is more to this cabin than they thought...
The Avengers (2012) - IMDb
Joss Whedon again, this time teaming with Robert Downey Jr and Sam L Jackson, this should be fun. Iron Man, Captain America, Incredible Hulk, Thor and Hawkeye team up to fight Loki and his invading army.
Rock of Ages (2012) - IMDb
This year’s big musical is the film adaptation of 80s rock stage show. With the likes of Tom Cruise, Bryan Cranston, Malin Akerman, Paul Giamatti, Alec Baldwin, Julianne Hough, directed by Adam Shankman, this is great talent. Despite being a musical, this could be one for the guys with Twisted Sister, Poison, REO Speed Wagon, Styx, Starship, Journey, Survivor, Europe, Whitesnake, Foreigner, this is an 80s child’s wet dream.
The Amazing Spider-Man (2012) - IMDb
I was as sceptical as the next guy about a reboot so soon, but the closer we get to this one, the more excited I’m getting.
The Dark Knight Rises (2012) - IMDb
Nolan is my current favourite director, and he showed with The Dark Knight that he can follow up a great film with an equally great or better one, but can he do it again. The closer we get to its release, the more I’m starting to question if Bruce Wayne will survive...
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (2012) - IMDb
This just seems quirky enough to work.
The Bourne Legacy (2012) - IMDb
This may seem like an exercise in commercial cinema, but they have got the writer of the original trilogy back to write and direct. It will also be interesting to see Jeremy Renner’s career progressing. With Hawkeye in the Avengers, and being added to Mission Impossible as the potential replacement for Tom Cruise, this should be a chance for him to show he can carry a film on his own.
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012) - IMDb
Peter Jackson did fantastic job on the Lord of the Rings films, while the Hobbit isn’t as epic, it still promises to be one of the films of the year.
Django Unchained (2012) - IMDb
Tarantino is back. He may not have managed to capture the quality of his early career, but he always gives us something different to what else is in the cinema, and always has a strong cast.

Other highlights this year
IMDb - The Iron Lady (2011)
Shame (2011) - IMDb
J. Edgar (2011) - IMDb
The Descendants (2011) - IMDb
Jack and Jill (2011) - IMDb (ok, maybe this will be a lowlight)
Young Adult (2011) - IMDb
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (2011) - IMDb
The Devil Inside (2012) - IMDb
IMDb - John Carter (2012)
We Bought a Zoo (2011) - IMDb
The Dictator (2012) - IMDb

Release dates are subject to change, so if you want an up-to-date schedule check here:
IMDb: Upcoming Releases for UK

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The Iron Lady
I'm not entirely sure how I felt about it. Naturally, Meryl Streep gave a very good performance. But, I feel like I should hate maggie thatcher, but I find that hard to do. Not because I agree with her policies (I'm not even sure of what most of them were, what the issues were with her time in office and where I would have fallen on them, plus I find it hard to hate people just because they haven't different political ideals), but my earliest political memory is john major replacing her as leader of the conservatives (and that memory is mostly being at the Plymouth v Brighton zenith cup match in plymouth, which we won by penalty shoot out and then the brighton fans did the conga in the away end - the news of john major winning was announced at half time). I don't remember my life being so bad in the 80s because I was a kid and political issues weren't relevant, and my parents protected me from any financial struggles they had, and they weren't politically involved so I never really had any "damn those tories!" things coming from my parents, and so on. But because I felt I should hate her it was like there was a barrier between me and the film and I couldn't really let it in too much. (Though I think I found the young her quite cute, except for the teeth, I say I think, because it may just have been her nose I liked). The other performances were mostly good, but a few did feel more like impersonations than acting performances.

The Artist
I really liked this. It is a mostly silent movie, and is black and white, so might not appeal to everyone, but it was really good. I don't have as much to say about it but yeah. I liked it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
re 3D, friend at Lakeside multiplex last week to watch Puss in Boots, the 2D showing was sold out but 3D was half empty.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
re 3D, friend at Lakeside multiplex last week to watch Puss in Boots, the 2D showing was sold out but 3D was half empty.

I think that is something that follows through for most films, overall films released in both versions have seen a decline in the 3D attendances.

Yeah, I don't know anyone who really likes 3D as a member of the paying audience. But, I think there are some titles that could tempt people (Star Wars, The Hobbit). I also think quality film makers (Scorcese, Spielberg) going 3D could give it some respect by proxy. The problem is that in the last year or two, titles have been converted to 2D to make extra money on films that just aren't that great (clash of the titans, alice in wonderland), and people have been burned by that. With films from Peter Jackson, and Scorcese, people will be expecting a quality film, and may give 3D a go. There are also some films that are only available in 3D at some cinemas.

I think for studios to give up on 3D it needs to bomb more than half empty. I read somewhere that it costs about $2m to convert a 2D movie to 3D, and that allows them to charge an extra 25% for tickets, so a film that would have made 40m makes 50m instead, at only a cost of 2m, an increase in profits of $8m. So, they to lose money on it before they will give it up.

Personally, I think 3D would do well if every studio limited themselves to one 3D release per year - they would be selective with which movie gets the treatment, and it will b seen more as a special event rather than a money grab.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Mission Impossible 4 The Ghost Protocol
I like ridiculous action movies and accept them for what they are - pure nonsense, but potentially fun.
I like Tom Cruise movies , and I haven't really got a problem when they come out with sequel after sequel, so Mission Impossible 4 was something I was looking forward too.

BUT

The Ghost Protocol was utter shite.
The "story" such as there was one was so disjointed that I reckon the editor and producer ought to hand their fee back.
And as I said above I don't mind a ridiculous stunt or two, but this was unbelievably unbelieveable.
Disappointed

3/10

The Iron Lady
I thought this was an excellent film. I had heard that it was a bit disturbing, in that it dealt with dementia and bereavement, but wasn't expecting it to be central to the film, which it was. If you are a dinosaur Thatcher hater, you should still go see this film, because her record in Government is not the main part of the film.
However, if you have recently been bereaved, or you have an elderly relative who has recently lost their partner, I would caution you to think very carefully about going. This could be really quite upsetting.
That said, Meryl Streep was brilliant and must have a very good shout for an Oscar. I also think Make-Up should get an Oscar too, because how they aged her was awesome.

Recommended
9/10

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
(I know there's a separate thread on this, but...)

The Artist

Saw it in a packed Duke of York's on Sunday - having watched Metropolis in there a couple of years ago, I knew it would be the ideal place to see such a film.

I went in with a sceptical eye to this homage to the silent movie era and thought it would be a bit too twee for my liking, but to my pleasant surprise, it really wasn't.

Really cleverly crafted, and completely worthy of all the adulation it's now receiving.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
I saw carnage at the weekend and bloody loved it. It's similar to a theatre play in that there are only four characters and you pretty much only see one location for the whole film.

The dialogue is at times hilarious and all the actors are excellent. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
The Iron Lady
I thought this was an excellent film. I had heard that it was a bit disturbing, in that it dealt with dementia and bereavement, but wasn't expecting it to be central to the film, which it was. If you are a dinosaur Thatcher hater, you should still go see this film, because her record in Government is not the main part of the film.
However, if you have recently been bereaved, or you have an elderly relative who has recently lost their partner, I would caution you to think very carefully about going. This could be really quite upsetting.
That said, Meryl Streep was brilliant and must have a very good shout for an Oscar. I also think Make-Up should get an Oscar too, because how they aged her was awesome.

Recommended
9/10

Pretty much agree with that. Saw this last Friday, and I am a Thatcher hater, and I lost my mum just a few months ago, so I know where you're coming from on both angles.

8/10

I'm still having a party when the old witch eventually goes though.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
The Artist 9.4
Brilliant, very well made, nice bit of feel-good old-school innocence to start the year.

Really looking forward to The Descendants, Promestheus and Dark Night Rises and will watch Life of Pi and the Hobbit to see what they do, but not much scheduled for this is really exciting me

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
i saw 'the flowers of war ' last night . im not sure if this is on dvd yet as it didnt seem to be hyped much but has christian bale in it . the story centres around what the japs did to the chinese just before the second world war and is termed the rape of nanking. bale plays a drunken american mortician who goes to a church to bury the priest . all he wants is the cash and to get out . however, in the church are some young convent girls who are later joined by a bunch of prostitutes . does he change his ways to help the girls from the japs?

quite enjoyed this 7.4 shot by the person who did crouching tiger and hero i think so it looks pretty good

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
War Horse - I've been looking forward to this ever since I heard they were making it into a film. And with Spielberg in charge I had high hopes.
Too high unfortunately. I'm afraid the stage play is far superior in my opinion. I like a long film, but this film is about half an hour longer than necessary. You expect a brilliant visual experience with Spielberg, and indeed the scenes of war were good, but not extra ordinary.
I expect to be in a minority, and my rating is unfairly affected by my expectations, but I was disappointed.

5/10

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
War Horse - I've been looking forward to this ever since I heard they were making it into a film. And with Spielberg in charge I had high hopes.
Too high unfortunately. I'm afraid the stage play is far superior in my opinion. I like a long film, but this film is about half an hour longer than necessary. You expect a brilliant visual experience with Spielberg, and indeed the scenes of war were good, but not extra ordinary.
I expect to be in a minority, and my rating is unfairly affected by my expectations, but I was disappointed.

5/10

Thinking about this film I think you are right. The weight of expectation on Spielberg and the fact the stage show is by all accounts one of the greatest theatrical shows ever seen Spielberg was always on a hiding to nothing. I deliberately did not seen the stage show as I knew it would cloud my opinion on the film, so I saw the film and will hopefully see the stage show now. If anyone has seen the stage show and is thinking of seeing the film and thinking of comparing them DON'T. Its pointless, unfair and the stage show with its immediacy and intimacy will always win. If you had not seen the stage show and judged the film on its own merits BI I dare say it would have been an 8 but it seems it is 5 in comparision with the stage show which I understand.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

5/10

War HorseI saw War Horse last night. Yes, it was cheesy, yes it was a little disjointed and at times it dipped. However, it looks and sounds fantastic and I was gripped during lots of the film. If you like Spielberg then you will like this film.

7/10

Happy, go Lucky
I think this is a few years old now but I really liked this film. It is a typical Mike Leigh film in many respects where the characters are key. The lead role is of a directionless, immature 30 something teacher which I related too very well!

8/10

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The Artist, 6

Some clever moments but overall a little disapointing. Not a lot happens and it happens very slowly It seemed over long and threequarters of the way through the film I was inwardly shouting " Get on with it ! "......my right buttock hated it and is still aching now, nearly 24 hours later.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Ok so this is what i've seen this year. I haven't been going an enormous amount, probably because it's not so easy to leave the house when the wind is an eye-freezing chillfactor and cycling into such a blast is unwanted.
Now, what have i seen. Hmmm. The Artist was the highlight certainly. Wonderfully staged. I took in a triple-piece Bounty to make sure i'd stay awake all the way through a wordless film after a hard day's work, but it wasn't needed at all. Richly romantic and often so delicately choreographed that it's a real winner. Quality stuff and deserving of award for all the work that has obviously gone into it.

The other evening i saw Margin Call. It wants to be something of a Mametian semi-macho drama of toughguys in business, but it wasn't firing on all cyllinders. It's a version of the night in which the Lehman Bros, under another name in the film, found out that their entire system was about to collapse and make the decision as to whether to sell all their unvalued stock to other businesses who will later fail and fall. Risk analysts realise and quietly spread the news amidst redundancies already under way. It's basically Kevin Spacey, Stanley Tucci, Demi Moore and a sometimes amusingly hammy Jeremy Irons debating and wondering what the hell they're going to do. It was ok. Despite the subject it wasn't utterly boring to the unbusinessmanlike ear and both Tucci and Spacey dished out some high-energy performances. Not bad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports