Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Everton fc

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
for my money, it wouldn't surpass Leeds.

Of course it would, Everton have been up there my entire lifetime.

Don't spend your money.

Reminds me all the Leicester nonsense which was nothing compared to what Forest did.

Just because it was before you were born, doesn't mean it didn't happen or can't be compared with your experience.

I never saw George Best play and the Beatles split up before I was born. Doesn't mean they weren't better than almost everything that came since.

Last edited:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Of course it would, Everton have been up there my entire lifetime.

Don't spend your money.

I think it's many people's lifetime, I think it's about 70 years since they were last relegated and maybe 65 consecutive years.

Its probably already quoted of I could be bother to look back

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
You say that as if it was commonplace back in the day.

It really wasn't. Forest, in particular, is a staggering and unprecedented achievement.

By and large it was always the richest clubs that won things, though. Just, different clubs in a moveable feast.

I also note that Brighton, Hull, Swansea, Cardiff and others have all risen from the fourth tier to the top flight since the 'EPL' began.

Dare to dream....like Leicester did not so long ago.

And meanwhile, the biggest club in the world, ManUre haven't wone the 'EPL' since Fergie shuffled off, stage left.

Football definitely did not begin in 93. 'The EPL era' is just a marketting ploy. Like bottled water.

But that doesn't mean that times change, though. They do.

I was born in 1985, so those past accomplishments I speak of were before my time. I’m going purely off stories from my dad and footage I’ve seen on the telly, so my sense of perspective admittedly isn’t that reliable.

For me, though, it’s this. I started watching Grimsby in the very early 90s, when we were a second tier side playing attractive football and on more than one occasion having a decent go at promotion to the top flight. That wasn’t all that abnormal, we’ve spent good time in the top two tiers throughout our history.

The ITV digital debacle and two decades of gross mismanagement have helped us on our way to a second stint in non-league, but regardless, there’s no way without major investment we could hope to trouble the upper echelons of the Championship ever again. Money is too much for the underdog, these days.

It’s quite possible my bitterness about our decline has skewed my perception of ‘the halcyon days’.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
You say that as if it was commonplace back in the day.

It really wasn't. Forest, in particular, is a staggering and unprecedented achievement.

By and large it was always the richest clubs that won things, though. Just, different clubs in a moveable feast.

I also note that Brighton, Hull, Swansea, Cardiff and others have all risen from the fourth tier to the top flight since the 'EPL' began.

Dare to dream....like Leicester did not so long ago.

And meanwhile, the biggest club in the world, ManUre haven't wone the 'EPL' since Fergie shuffled off, stage left.

Football definitely did not begin in 93. 'The EPL era' is just a marketting ploy. Like bottled water.

But that doesn't mean that times change, though. They do.

My other half grew up in Nottingham during this time (her family are all Forest fans). Martin O'Neill lived on the same new-build Wimpey homes estate as her and her family, her Dad being a British Rail worker. O'Neill had a standard 2 or 3 bed detached house the same as all the others and she says a day two after the winning the European Cup he was home and cleaning his car chatting away with the neighbours about their work as much as his. A different world!

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
My other half grew up in Nottingham during this time (her family are all Forest fans). Martin O'Neill lived on the same new-build Wimpey homes estate as her and her family, her Dad being a British Rail worker. O'Neill had a standard 2 or 3 bed detached house the same as all the others and she says a day two after the winning the European Cup he was home and cleaning his car chatting away with the neighbours about their work as much as his. A different world!

Lovely story. Those were indeed the ‘halogen’ days and in agreement with HWT’s point about dirty money that is the heart of it. In the peak Clough era there were still a lot of managers who were pleased to have escaped going down the pit and other traditional working-class jobs. It was still ‘just about’ a working-class game but now the PL certainly isn’t. Footballers earn an obscene amount of money and the dirty money brigade of recent times have ratcheted it up more and more. Money(the excess love of anyway) is indeed the root of all evil.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Ah, those halogen days. When there were no agendas, and you knew watt was watt.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Would give anything to be us right now,

Resigned opinions.
https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/relegation.113693/page-623

League table since 3 October.
31B57A70-E962-40F9-9789-6D8B4AAAEB2A.png

Last edited:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Ah, those halogen days. When there were no agendas, and you knew watt was watt.

You LED from the front with the puns. Are you filament pleased with yourself?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here