Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

edl

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
It's not a case of being fashionable. I just don't like the term. I think it's incredibly dated and yes, it makes me uncomfortable. I'd wouldn't call anyone that. One of my friends is mixed race and he's always said he hates that term more than almost anything else. He describes himself as mixed race or black. "Coloured" was perpetrated particularly by the apartheid regime in SA as a means of categorising people...can you not see why people might find that a tiny bit offensive? To me, it's a real throwback to an age where people were far more casually racist, or at least more openly so.

I realise not everyone who uses it understands why it upsets, which is why I've explained it now.

Yes thanks. But in my opinion it is your Opinion. I see nothing wrong with the term.

Take the arguments about Obama being Black, Ive had leftists patronising me saying that it is the USA's definition of race, ie Black+white=Black. not stopping to think thats the definition the Far right also prefer.

To me thats offensive, since when have the yanks been experts at race relations?

I would not respond with a patronising comment like "Did I just wake up in 1980?" as you did, I would question the use and possibly offer an alternative.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
It's not a case of being fashionable. I just don't like the term. I think it's incredibly dated and yes, it makes me uncomfortable. I'd wouldn't call anyone that. One of my friends is mixed race and he's always said he hates that term more than almost anything else. He describes himself as mixed race or black. "Coloured" was perpetrated particularly by the apartheid regime in SA as a means of categorising people...can you not see why people might find that a tiny bit offensive? To me, it's a real throwback to an age where people were far more casually racist, or at least more openly so.

I realise not everyone who uses it understands why it upsets, which is why I've explained it now.

At my work a good friend of mine is not talking to this woman in our department, and now she not back. They sat next to each other for a while, and when the lady had a packet of cookies open, my friend reached over for one, getting the riposte: "Typical of you blacks." Now, my friend is mixed race, and the woman in question is South African and black, to me at least, but considers herself "coloured" instead. I haven't gotten involved in their falling out as i wouldn't know how to really word it well, but of course i am on my friend's side and not that of the South African lady who is an extreme sufferer of brashness and table-butt. My friend has sent her an email or two asking to resolve whatever issue she had, but they have been ignored.
Anyway, she's a bellend wherever she's from.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
It's a generation thing, my old grandad RIP always referred to anyone non white as a darkie despite our best attempts to try and tell him it was offensive and my parents still refer to people as coloured or half caste which cause a few winces when spoken. No doubt our current acceptable terms of black and mixed race will become outdated and be replaced by something even less offensive in 20 years time.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I don't think the term Coloured is deemed offensive in South Africa so I don't see why people have dragged that into the argument.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
i was walking from new street to broad st station when i stopped to check i was going the right way, i asked a middle aged black bloke and no sooner had i said "excuse me mate" he started to give me a load of abuse, really aggressive! In the end we just traded insults outside selfridges, i walked away thing wtf was that all about, looks like i was lumped in the EDL aswell.
I dont believe you, there is no way that a a lovely innocent black person would behave like that, you MUST have done something to offend him, and before the usual PC crowd on here start making excuses for him , telling me how he must have been a victim of racism to make him behave in such a fashion, have any of you EVER considered thatb white people living in london , or other areas with a high population of coloured people may have been victims of racism too ? or doesnt it occur to you in sussex , sitting there pontificating from the comfort of a virtually 100% white population.

SE19_CP

Oct 30, 2011
SE19.....top of the hill
spot on bushy - It's all well and good commenting from the Ivory Towers where you don't have to deal with essentially running the gauntlet every day, I'm from Camberwell, I know all too well!

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Looks like Rad has offended the Gaurdianista tossers for not being fasionable with the lingo.

He means darkies ok?

Looney, Looney, Looney. It's not the 90s anymore. The fashionable thing to do now is to mock racism, 'oooh is it racist to say that?' That kind of thing.

Get with the programme!

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
oh get a f***ing life edna, you're so over the top pc its ridiculous.

get a f***ing life bushy, you're so over the top patronising it's ridiculous.

Joking aside. It's all you ever do on this site. Along with be aggressive. Have a good day!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
get a f***ing life bushy, you're so over the top patronising it's ridiculous.

Joking aside. It's all you ever do on this site. Along with be aggressive. Have a good day!

No, he finds out the addresses of NSC members who disagree with his views and knocks on their door to continue the discussion too!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Worded that terribly... I apologize if it was read as a racist comment.

Got it! I didn't read what you said as racist. You were just using a term that many black people used to use for themselves. The term is considered highly problematic for a number of reasons, such as the fact it makes out the colour of white people as invisible, so they are presented as the standard / norm / ideal.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
Got it! I didn't read what you said as racist. You were just using a term that many black people used to use for themselves. The term is considered highly problematic for a number of reasons, such as the fact it makes out the colour of white people as invisible, so they are presented as the standard / norm / ideal.

Exactly!!

If you want a better understanding of the offence the word "coloured" causes in South Africa try watching the courtroom scene in the film "Cry Freedom" about the life and death of Steve Biko.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here