[News] Eastern Aus in for a butt kicking this Xmas

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
df3257035c711d4ab0ab9e22b0e8367c

I just read this https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-12...s-eastern-states-for-christmas-2023/103257550 If the link is geo blocked I have lifted this

"One measure of storm potential is called Convective Available Potential Energy (CAPE), and the higher the CAPE, the more energy is available for a thunderstorms to grow.
During a standard Australian storm day, CAPE can often reach about 500 to 1,000.
However, modeling of CAPE for this Christmas is forecast to reach up to about 3,000, comparable to instability seen during infamously destructive storm outbreaks across the US plains — the most severe storm-prone region on Earth."

Yay, in for a fun time, oh well the skyshow should be amazing. But of course we don't have an issue with a changing climate :wrong:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
df3257035c711d4ab0ab9e22b0e8367c

I just read this https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-12...s-eastern-states-for-christmas-2023/103257550 If the link is geo blocked I have lifted this

"One measure of storm potential is called Convective Available Potential Energy (CAPE), and the higher the CAPE, the more energy is available for a thunderstorms to grow.
During a standard Australian storm day, CAPE can often reach about 500 to 1,000.
However, modeling of CAPE for this Christmas is forecast to reach up to about 3,000, comparable to instability seen during infamously destructive storm outbreaks across the US plains — the most severe storm-prone region on Earth."

Yay, in for a fun time, oh well the skyshow should be amazing. But of course we don't have an issue with a changing climate :wrong:
My nephew and his GF are out there at the moment and currently 🐈 sitting in Melbourne to make some 💰, they might get this weather.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Cairns has already had a thumping from Cyclone Jasper and still not mopped up with the crocodiles being still found in peoples outbuildings. The extremes are just getting worse. My home (parents) in Sydney are saying this next one will fizzle out before it gets to them with the rain and storm mostly on Christmas eve, but they welcome the break from the 43 degrees last Saturday and a few odd days of over 30, too much of which is unusal for where I'm from before Christmas...the thunderstorms from our porch can be spectacular though, Dad will be out with his camera I suspect..

Ronnie

Jan 6, 2009
The Herb Garden
Land in Sydney early on 9th Jan with overnight stay at Four Seasons Hotel before 2 week cruise around New Zealand leaving on the 10th
Hope the weather settles down by then

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Extreme weather, getting more extreme, more frequently.

Currently in the Interior BC - where temps right now should be below -10 with plenty of snow on the ground.

It’s been +5 to +8 every day, the grass is growing, and the mountains only have a little snow.
The big ski resorts in BC are moreso puddles than powder.

I personally am very much enjoying the mild Christmas, I can still walk and bike ride outdoors - but I’m sure I’ll pay for it in the summer.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Just seen a video of it by my uncle in Ipswich, QLD.

Never seen anything like it. Absolutely apocalyptic.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Even God hates Australia.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Just talked to my daughter in Sydney, says they have had rain, thunder, sunshine, rain, really heavy rain, sunshine again :shrug:

(but they are only on the outskirts of the storm)

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
From a mate of mine. An hour away from Brisbane. Spot of rain...

Attachments

• VID-20231224-WA0001.mp4
    6.4 MB

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Wonderfully atmospheric sitting here at nearly 11pm on Xmas Eve, glass of wine on the table, sat in my pergola with the clear blinds down, listening to the incessant noise of pouring rain on the roof, in 20 plus degrees. Possibly sit here for another hour before heading to bed. First wet Christmas here for 10 years apparently.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Wonderfully atmospheric sitting here at nearly 11pm on Xmas Eve, glass of wine on the table, sat in my pergola with the clear blinds down, listening to the incessant noise of pouring rain on the roof, in 20 plus degrees. Possibly sit here for another hour before heading to bed. First wet Christmas here for 10 years apparently.
Sounds perfect to me... whereabouts are you?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Sounds perfect to me... whereabouts are you?
Southeast Melbourne, stopped overnight, but in for the day now. Just about to start cooking the joints in the Weber under the pergola now.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports